• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zero Flu Deaths

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Yes.

The news last May or June that flu was reduced by 90% or more in the Southern Hemisphere (during their own flu season) was something that caught my attention.
Got a link to share?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or.... they listed it as a Covid death because they found Covid. as well as flu. It seems quite unusual that Washington can have Covid deaths but you can’t get the flu. Doesn’t even sound statistically possible let alone logically.
The posted claims say that no one died from the flu.
Not that no one got the flu. So people could've had
it...they just didn't die from it....which is typical.

crossfire

Premium Member
Thanks. Comparing Australia to Washington State: Although Australia (population 25.36 million) has only 3.33 times the population of Washington State (7.615 million) its typical per-capita death rate from influenza is much higher than Washington state's per capita death rate from influenza. According to your article, Australia typically has between 1500-3000 deaths from influenza per year, while Washington state has had a range from 20-296 deaths per year from influenza. That's a huge difference per capita. Since Australia dropped from 1500-3000 deaths down to 92 deaths at the time of the article, it's not surprising to see Washington's influenza death rate drop to zero. Australia's drop in influenza deaths was more dramatic than Washington state's drop.

-source for Washington State history of Influenza deaths-

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
@crossfire @shunyadragon
It showed up. I had a feeling this argument would get made.

@KenS ; covid is much more virulent then the regular flu, so of course it spread and was caught, unlike the less contagious seasonal flu.
There were no CDC mistypings of deaths to overrepresent covid vs flu stats. It's conspiracy with no proof, nothing more.
Of course the argument is logically used... please note:

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 6.33.24 PM.png

You tell me... what is the difference of it being spread from Covid?

crossfire

Premium Member

View attachment 49033

I can tell you the numbers from Washington state:
Typical influenza deaths per year: 20-296
Covid deaths so far: 5,309
The numbers show that there is a huge difference between the two diseases. Covid is much more virulent than influenza, and we are a lot closer to herd immunity for influenza than for Covid. It would also suggest that the social distancing and ppi are more effective against influenza than they are for Covid.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

View attachment 49033

The actual virulence and rate of infection differ from the influenza virus and covid (spreads faster). That's as plain as the number of deaths this year between the two groups. Now, no I'm no epidemiologist or doctor, so why one is more infective/virulent than the other is above my pay grade, but part of the disparity is many people get a yearly flu shot.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The actual virulence and rate of infection differ from the influenza virus and covid (spreads faster). That's as plain as the number of deaths this year between the two groups. Now, no I'm no epidemiologist or doctor, so why one is more infective/virulent than the other is above my pay grade, but part of the disparity is many people get a yearly flu shot.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu
So, what you are saying is that they are just as viral but the yearly flu shot makes the difference as will the Covid vaccination? Because, certainly if you can get the flu the same way you get Covid and people are getting Covid... logically you could also get the flu. Same droplets, same six feet, same surface contamination.

Which make me wonder... if you can get Covid through the nose and the mouth, can you also get it through the eye ducts? Finger in the eye? or droplet in the eye?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So, what you are saying is that they are just as viral but the yearly flu shot makes the difference as will the Covid vaccination?

No, what I am saying is that Covid is more virulent and contagious than the average yearly flu. But the reason we have zero deaths for flu is in part due to people getting the flu vaccine, in conjunction with all the mask wearing an handwashing, etc due to covid.

Because, certainly if you can get the flu the same way you get Covid and people are getting Covid... logically you could also get the flu. Same droplets, same six feet, same surface contamination.

Just because something spreads in a similar manner such as covid and influenza (via aerosolized mucus), does not mean the rates of infection will be similar. Only that their mode of spread is comparable.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Which make me wonder... if you can get Covid through the nose and the mouth, can you also get it through the eye ducts? Finger in the eye? or droplet in the eye?

Yes, you probably can, which is why they recommended not touching ones face as frequently early on. (And even face shields if one really wants to be precautious.)