• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zen Book Recommendations

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I have recently taken an interest in Zen and was looking for some good book recommendations. I've already started on Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

von bek

I recommend checking out, The Three Pillars of Zen by Philip Kapleau. It was one of the first books I read when I began my Buddhist journey over a decade ago.

Acala

The Denkōroku by Keizan Zen-ji. I'd personally recommend 'One Robe, One Bowl' - Zen poetry of Ryokan Zenji. Roar of the Tigress - Shasta Abbey Press. The Wild White Goose also published by Shasta Abbey.

Straw Dog

I'm currently reading The Dude and the Zen Master. It's a freewheeling and laid-back philosophical discussion between Academy Award-winning actor Jeff Bridges and his Buddhist teacher, the renowned Roshi Bernie Glassman. It's more of a spontaneous jam session rather than a highly technical manual on Zen Buddhism. They discuss real life experiences and how to apply basic Zen principles while also being inclusive towards other traditions. Their views focus on being more socially-engaged rather than withdrawn from the world.

If you enjoy reading, then by all means, just read... However, no amount of books can replace actual practice. Just breathe, just sit, just walk 'round... :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Try Brad Warner . ...

Hardcore Zen and

Sit down and shut up.

Shunryu Suzuki .......

The one your already reading.