• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zelensky pushes ‘accelerated’ application for Ukraine NATO membership

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ukraine is as Zelenskyy said partner of NATO to repel and reverse Russian aggression.

Ukraine is applying for “accelerated ascension” into NATO, President Volodymyr Zelensky said Friday, in an apparent answer to Russia’s move to illegally annex four of the country’s partially occupied regions.

The remarks were more symbolic than practical: The speedy admittance of Ukraine to the alliance would require members to immediately send troops to fight Russia, under collective defense obligations.
“De facto, we have already made our way to NATO,” Zelensky said in a Telegram statement. “De facto, we have already proven compatibility with Alliance standards. They are real for Ukraine — real on the battlefield and in all aspects of our interaction. We trust each other, we help each other, and we protect each other.”

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Realistically, I doubt this would work out well for anyone involved if Ukraine were admitted now. If NATO sent forces to fight Russia, a third world war would almost surely break out, and at that point, I would expect Ukraine to be completely or almost completely destroyed even if it managed to push out Russian forces—not to say anything of the risk of a nuclear war.

I really hope Putin ends up being removed by a coup. That would be a much better and safer outcome than a third world war during an era of ultra-potent nuclear capability and long-range warheads.

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
I really hope Putin ends up being removed by a coup. That would be a much better and safer outcome than a third world war during an era of ultra-potent nuclear capability and long-range warheads.
I used to hope that, however I don't think he will be removed by a coup. I also think he will keep pushing, and there will be a war with Russia. It will be very strange and will create a giant alliance. The alliance will be everything that Putin hoped to achieve and will eventually shrug off USA and invite Russia in. So in strange way I think Putin will win.

Wandering Monk

Wondering if NATO membership for Ukraine might be the best solution we can get for the moment. If Ukraine became part of NATO, they would be protected from further incursions, but would have to live with Russia taking the four provinces. This let's Putin save face. The sham referendum making those four provinces might be reversed in the future if there was to be a more moderate government following Putin.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ukraine is as Zelenskyy said partner of NATO to repel and reverse Russian aggression.

Ukraine is applying for “accelerated ascension” into NATO, President Volodymyr Zelensky said Friday, in an apparent answer to Russia’s move to illegally annex four of the country’s partially occupied regions.

The remarks were more symbolic than practical: The speedy admittance of Ukraine to the alliance would require members to immediately send troops to fight Russia, under collective defense obligations.
“De facto, we have already made our way to NATO,” Zelensky said in a Telegram statement. “De facto, we have already proven compatibility with Alliance standards. They are real for Ukraine — real on the battlefield and in all aspects of our interaction. We trust each other, we help each other, and we protect each other.”
I think that Ukraine can be given a "transitional membership" for a period of 5 years to be reviewed after 5 years with partial security guarantees and the creation of a set of temporary NATO military bases in Western Ukraine and greater defensive weapons and armaments cooperation. Let the fight continue as it is, which Ukraine is winning anyways... but if Russia moves beyond the 4 Eastern provinces then NATO should get directly into the war.

I believe Russian army needs to de defeated soundly and driven back entirely from Ukraine. If, however, the war eventually reaches a stalemate in the Eastern provinces, then the presence of NATO bases in Ukraine will help in stabilization like in S and N Korea situation and prevent further aggression.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think that Ukraine can be given a "transitional membership" for a period of 5 years to be reviewed after 5 years with partial security guarantees and the creation of a set of temporary NATO military bases in Western Ukraine and greater defensive weapons and armaments cooperation. Let the fight continue as it is, which Ukraine is winning anyways... but if Russia moves beyond the 4 Eastern provinces then NATO should get directly into the war.

I believe Russian army needs to de defeated soundly and driven back entirely from Ukraine. If, however, the war eventually reaches a stalemate in the Eastern provinces, then the presence of NATO bases in Ukraine will help in stabilization like in S and N Korea situation and prevent further aggression.
I agree. I think Russia really expected a fast defeat of Ukraine, like the Taliban in Afghanistan. Reoprts say that they are having trouble replenishing ammunition and weapons, mostly due to sanctions. And of course the loss in troops in a serious problem. I doubt the draft is going to work, unless it is just to replace trained military stationed elsewhere in Russia. Even at that morale is low, and certainly will go lower as Russia loses ground. I don't see putin being able to mount a counteroffensive. The sham election was surely a desperate ploy to make the four regions being fought over be categorized as Russia, as if that will motivate Russian troops to die for the motherland. It seems to me on par with Trump's nonsense claims, they are only believed by true believers, no one else buys the crap.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Realistically, I doubt this would work out well for anyone involved if Ukraine were admitted now. If NATO sent forces to fight Russia, a third world war would almost surely break out, and at that point, I would expect Ukraine to be completely or almost completely destroyed even if it managed to push out Russian forces—not to say anything of the risk of a nuclear war.

I for one wouldn't coddle a bully. You find ways to destroy a bully, or live with that bully unimpeded for the rest of one's life.