• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zamzam Water.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello All.

"Zamzam water is colourless and odorless, but has a distinct taste, with a pH of 7.9–8.0, indicating that it is alkaline to some extent."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamzam_Well#Technical_information

Zamzam water satisfies the thirst of millions of people, including shipped amounts to outside Saudi Arabia. The well is about 30 m (98 ft) deep and 1.08 to 2.66 m (3 ft 7 in to 8 ft 9 in) in diameter. Sources, like the one above, say the water is from absorbed rain water (I believe you guys know how much we have rain here). The water is distributed to other filling stations, both closed and open to public, that could reach 24 hours 7 days at times. This has been done for ages now and there was never lack of Zamzam water amount. Zamzam is believed by some Muslims that it is from Heaven. It is believed to have healing characteristics. Here is a video that's in favor of this belief:

This is mainly for reading pleasure and discussion, but I didn't know where to post it but here, so I guess I can't ask to not debate it (staff, if there is a better section concerning science, please move the thread there). If there are good sources about it you know of other than this, please share them with us. Theories and opinions are highly appreciated. Enjoy the read and the video.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.
More Information:
Mineral Composition and Health Functionality of Zamzam Water: A Review

http://www.academia.edu/3976000/Min...health_functionality_of_Zamzam_water_A_review

This article reviews the mineral composition and potential health benefits of Zamzam water. Zamzam water is different from natural water in terms of minerals and radiological features. The miracle of Zamzam is its continuous flow since 2000 BC. The appearance of the Zamzam well led to the foundation of the settlement of the Makah valley. Zamzam water quenches the thirst and shows potential to cure numerous diseases. Different studies have been conducted to explore the mythical qualities of this water; still there is a need to conduct widespread research and to explore its healthcare benefits, mineral profile, and technological perspectives. Recent animal studies showed that Zamzam was effective against cancer, as it thwarts the development of tumors.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10942912.2012.660721

======================================================================

Holy Quran mentions two hills Al-Safa and Al-Marwa.....These were connected with the beginning of Zamzam well.
ch2, v159, note 159
@ https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=211&region=E1&CR=EN,E2&CR=EN,E2

Hadith and Bible reference are given too.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This has been done for ages now and there was never lack of Zamzam water amount. Zamzam is believed by some Muslims that it is from Heaven. It is believed to have healing characteristics.
Then sure, it is from heaven. Ganga water also is from heaven but it is a different heaven, and that is useful for one purpose, removal of accumulated sins. It should be taken only up to Haridwar and not further down stream.

p59f71ff143ccedd863ccfdd742411acd57766429.jpg

muhammad_isa

Then sure, it is from heaven. Ganga water also is from heaven but it is a different heaven, and that is useful for one purpose, removal of accumulated sins..
To God belongs whatsoever is in the earth ie. it's ALL from 'heaven' :)

However, if Almighty God wishes to stop Zam-Zam water flowing, there is not much we can do about it

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I too had a sip. I thought it was a little on the bitter side. I had gone to the source of River Ganges - Gangotri glacier. The water there has a lot of sand particles and they glittered like silver particles in the morning. God had arranged a smooth (ice) road for us to cross the river that day, otherwise it would have meant a walk for a few kilometers over the glacier, and that is dangerous. We just ran across.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So how is this not just another of the myriad mineral waters people today are spending big bucks for?

muhammad_isa

So how is this not just another of the myriad mineral waters people today are spending big bucks for?
Well, for one thing, it's not processed .. it's naturally filtered .. it's better to consume it straight from the well than a plastic bottle, of course..

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But aren't many bottled waters taken straight from the spring, with no processing?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Then sure, it is from heaven.
Nope, it's "believed" to be from heaven. There is a difference ;)

How much is that Ganges water bottle?

It's that we don't spend big bucks for (kidding) :)

What puzzles me is how come a barren dry land has been flowing healthy drinking water for like 4,000 years (or so I saw in the source) non stop, non lacking for those millions of people (I think it reaches billions too), not changing in taste (as far as I know all my life), with no clear renewing source (like rain that comes typically like once a year in small amout in this dry land?), without needing to be heavily maintained, and it's free of charge except for transportation personal costs.

I try to imagine there is a reserve for it underground, but that would make the whole planet is its reserve... well let's not exaggerate, I'll be content with the whole country :)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ganges water is nice but one has to let the sand particles settle down. During rainy season, ganges carries even higher amount of sand. Zamzm and other well waters do not require any filteration. The water of a well near our house in Jodhpur was considered very healthy, no germs and probably some special mineral combination. It was in a sandy uninhabited area. Now the area is inhabited and I do not think the water is as good.
How much is that Gang water bottle? Is it more expensive than Evian (which if read in reverse become naive, by the way :p).
It is river water, so it is not costly at all. It is available from all post offices now. Rs.25 for a 200 ml bottle and Rs. 35 for a 500 ml bottle. It is available in larger packs also. We use it in our rituals - and it is the last thing put in the mouth of a dying person. That is considered to wash away all/at least some of his sins.:)

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Ganges water is nice but one has to let the sand particles settle down. During rainy season, ganges carries even higher amount of sand. Zamzm and other well waters do not require any filteration. The water of a well near our house in Jodhpur was considered very healthy, no germs and probably some special mineral combination. It was in a sandy uninhabited area. Now the area is inhabited and I do not think the water is as good.
It is river water, so it is not costly at all. It is available from all post offices now. Rs.25 for a 200 ml bottle and Rs. 35 for a 500 ml bottle. It is available in larger packs also. We use it in our rituals - and it is the last thing put in the mouth of a dying person. That is considered to wash away all/at least some of his sins.:)

Good info there!

It's religious related? I shouldn't have made those comments about it. I edited it out, and I apologize.

If it is believed to be from heaven and it's religious related, then I imagine there is at least one channel to get it for free?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Guys, I'm gonna unsubscribe from this thread. If you want to reach me here, please make sure you use the tag feature correctly or directly quote me.

Love ya all!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What puzzles me is how come a barren dry land has been flowing healthy drinking water for like 4,000 years (or so I saw in the source) non stop, non lacking for those millions of people (I think it reaches billions too), not changing in taste (as far as I know all my life), with no clear renewing source (like rain that comes typically like once a year in small amount in this dry land?), without needing to be heavily maintained, and it's free of charge except for transportation personal costs.
Last post. It is possible that the reservoir belongs to an earlier age when Saudi Arabia was not a desert. That also happens.

geologicalmapindia.jpg

Zamzam water satisfies the thirst of millions of people, including shipped amounts to outside Saudi Arabia.

It's a common feature here that the baggage carousel on certain Emirates, Saudia, Etihad flights goes suitcase, suitcase, 20l water bottle, suitcase, 20l water bottle...

Do those who go on Umroh/Hajj have to pay for these? Or is it freely available?

Where do they get it from?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Last post. It is possible that the reservoir belongs to an earlier age when Saudi Arabia was not a desert. That also happens.

Interesting theory. Then it would be a reserve used for like 1,437 years by now. Even since then, this area was a barren land. I think this is still too long to have that reserve not depleted by now.

It's a common feature here that the baggage carousel on certain Emirates, Saudia, Etihad flights goes suitcase, suitcase, 20l water bottle, suitcase, 20l water bottle...

Do those who go on Umroh/Hajj have to pay for these? Or is it freely available?

Where do they get it from?

Specifically for these, yes, they have to pay. The packs officially provided directly by the government for air shipment are available in 5L bottles at airports and cost SR 9 ($2.4 USD) completely ready to ship, and that's the highest direct official costs. Those 20L bottles are probably taken thru third parties. The water itself is free of charge and there are stations to distribute it. Any charges exist only for the further services provided, and preparations for air shipment are included here, since it requires extra costs. Airlines, for example, are a different party than those related to Hajj directly and they require costs.

That's the best I can say about it. There could be other details I'm not aware of, since I'm a local and don't have to go thru all that. I personally can drink Zamzam all day long without paying a penny. Then again, I need to pay for my car's consumable to do that :)

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
"Elevated concentrations of arsenic (As) metal were reported in the print and audiovisual media in the Zamzam water, especially in the bottled Zamzam water available insome European countries.
[13] However, repeated analysis of the Zamzam water by Alfadul and Khan [13] verified that arsenic (As) levels ranged between 9.68 and 10.75 µg/L, which lies within the admissible range set by different regulatory agencies and also in agreement with Saudi Arabian Standard Organization (SASO) standards for drinking water"
665@http://www.academia.edu/3976000/Mineral_composition_and_health_functionality_of_Zamzam_water_A_review

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A stream from the sea filtered through sand? Nah, from Allah's heaven. There is no dearth of water there. It is a huge garden with flowing stream and grand mansions for residents.

Last edited: