• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zahiri Madhab

Alulu

The Dhahiri madhab (law school) was especially popular among Islamic jurists in Andalusia (Spain). One of the most important proponents of it is the Andalusian scholar Ibn Hazm. Many of his works have been preserved and alot of his books have been translated to English as well.

Regarding the madhab itself however its sources of legal reasoning have not authentically been preserved. This means the madhab itself and its fundamentals (methodology) have not been preserved, which is why the madhab is not alive anymore. However from many of the conclusions Ibn Hazm (a jurist of the dhahiri madhab) arrived at we can get a glimpse of this madhab and a general idea of its methodology. Compared to the existing and most common four sunni madhabs that are still alive nowadays the dhahiri madhab does not make use of any "qiyas" (meaning analogical reasoning) in its methodology, and takes a literal approach towards understanding the Quran and ahadith.

I am very sure that if you google more on it you will get more useful information.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I am familiar with Zahiri. :) And its not dead. I just wanted to know if others know and what they thibk.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
I am familiar with Zahiri. :) And its not dead. I just wanted to know if others know and what they thibk.

Ibn Hazm is considered a great scholar of Hadith among Ahmadi Muslims. But I do not know much about Dhahiri Madhab. Could you kindly share some key points between the differences of the other four Madhabs.

F0uad

Ibn Hazm is considered a great scholar of Hadith among Ahmadi Muslims. But I do not know much about Dhahiri Madhab. Could you kindly share some key points between the differences of the other four Madhabs.
The problem is that there are no ''key'' difference expect from minor ones..
i recommend a book -Vecdi Akyuz’s “Comparative Worship Catechism”.

Instead of trying to look at the differences its better to look on how they come to a conclusion its very interesting on what kind of methods they used.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Probably would be the regection of ra'y and qiyas

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
A little more I have learned. Zhahiri way is very literal. The Quran and Sunnah is ment to be literal. With rulings, look at the consensus of the sahaba and refer it back to the Quran and Prophet Muhammad (saws).
Here is a good link to a website which is Zhahiri About Ghuraba.Info : Ghuraba.Info

F0uad

A little more I have learned. Zhahiri way is very literal. The Quran and Sunnah is ment to be literal. With rulings, look at the consensus of the sahaba and refer it back to the Quran and Prophet Muhammad (saws).
Here is a good link to a website which is Zhahiri About Ghuraba.Info : Ghuraba.Info

With all respect all four school use a different kind of method to come to ruling or conclusion based on Quranic or hadith teachings.
To say that literally is the only solution is not right there are much more things involved.

Imam Ash-Shafi'i (d. 204/820 in Egypt) was the first one to systematize Islamic Law hes reasoning and priority goes as the following:

1. Quran
  2. Sunna of the Prophet, based on: Hadith from the Prophet Hadith from the Companions of the Prophet
  3. Ijma (consensus of the Umma - Muslim community)
  4. Ra'y - reasoning. Primarily kiyas (resoning by analogy), but also istihsan.

His system had become the basis of Islamic jurisprudence, and it was subsequently used by all the schools.
Some emphasis one over the other for example the Salfi's would emphasize more on number two then the other four (that does not mean they do not include them offcourse).

Last edited: