• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're no Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In another thread a poster said in effect that some professed Christian churches aren't truly Christian because they do or don't do this, that, and the other thing.

My question: What churches, or denominations do you feel do not deserve to call themselves Christian, and why?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In another thread a poster said in effect that some professed Christian churches aren't truly Christian because they do or don't do this, that, and the other thing.

My question: What churches, or denominations do you feel do not deserve to call themselves Christian, and why?

Honestly, and my humble opinion?

I dont consider a denomination christian if its members dont work together as the body of christ. I wouldnt say they dont deserve not having the christian name. Just christ didnt teach being a solo christian.

Hope christians, though, who feel this way would share their views.

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Baptized into the name of Jesus means you're a Christian. Meaning you call Jesus, Lord. So it could be more accurate to say all these other things don't make you a Christian.

siti

Dunno - but I used to think this verse was talking about "denominations" that "do not deserve to call themselves Christian": "And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach." ~ Isaiah 4:1

Now, frankly, I couldn't care less what anyone calls themselves.

Sonny

In order to be a Christian - or mechanic, welder, boxer or politician [or anything else] - one must do what is required in the rulebook or Bible. If a person fails to follow the rules of the Bible then commonsense says they aren't Christians. But, when such a situation occurs it is called a cult. Words mean things. You wouldn't want a plumber to work on your car's motor. You want a person who has been properly trained for that job. There is no verifiable evidence that the Bible is anything less than what it claims to be, the Word of God. And, there is no evidence that says we need more Scriptures or there are more Scriptures waiting to be found or given by God. When that happens these days (since the close of the 1st Century) it is always some man's/woman's own words. Sometimes they convince others to attest to it, sometimes not. Test all who make such claims - I say and so does the Bible. There are tests- and failure is rampant with the other groups.

Last edited:

siti

Oh dear! Sonny - so if you sow your fields with two types of seed, wear garments of mixed fabric or eat shellfish you're not a Christian?

Even when I was a Christian I "knew" the Bible was not a rule book, much less a reliable one. Sorry, but if adherence to Biblical commandments is the test, nobody (individually or collectively as a Church denomination) gets in. IMHO.

Sonny

Baptized into the name of Jesus means you're a Christian. Meaning you call Jesus, Lord. So it could be more accurate to say all these other things don't make you a Christian.
Jesus said many will come to the Judgment and say, Lord, Lord but I will say to them depart from Me. Calling oneself a Christian but not living the life makes one a hypocrite, liar and lost. There are standards that must be met to be... a Christian. Not all who say they are, are.

Sonny

Oh dear! Sonny - so if you sow your fields with two types of seed, wear garments of mixed fabric or eat shellfish you're not a Christian?

That is an extreme. Let's keep it simple - and stop justifying the obvious- being a Christian requires certain standards, as with any Trade school or college. I realize some want to justify 'their' church but the standard test is the Bible, not me or any other man. If what you believe contradicts the Bible then they aren't Christians. Or else, even the atheists and God-haters can say they are Christians, too. What separates all them from being Christian if there aren't any rules or standards. That's crazy to even think.

Even when I was a Christian I "knew" the Bible was not a rule book, much less a reliable one. Sorry, but if adherence to Biblical commandments is the test, nobody (individually or collectively as a Church denomination) gets in. IMHO.

Ok. Tell me what the requirements are gone a Christian. Can I worship Satan and be a Christian?
Can I Rob, rape and murder and be one? What, exactly, are the rules, standards and requirements? And, what makes your comments, views, beliefs the acceptable standard?

siti

I don't see why being "a hypocrite, liar and lost" precludes one from calling oneself a Christian. Judgement is a different issue - for Christian, I would have thought that would based on Matthew 25:31-46 - so if your Church is teaching feed the hungry, clothe and shelter the poor and minister to the sick and oppressed - from a Judgement point of view, it can call itself Christian. Of course you don't have to be (or call yourself) a Christian to do those things.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Jesus said many will come to the Judgment and say, Lord, Lord but I will say to them depart from Me. Calling oneself a Christian but not living the life makes one a hypocrite, liar and lost. There are standards that must be met to be... a Christian. Not all who say they are, are.

They were shown the door for things they did, not for things they didn't do. Right? they cast out demons in his name and such. He said away from me evil doers.

Sonny

I don't see why being "a hypocrite, liar and lost" precludes one from calling oneself a Christian. Judgement is a different issue - for Christian, I would have thought that would based on Matthew 25:31-46 - so if your Church is teaching feed the hungry, clothe and shelter the poor and minister to the sick and oppressed - from a Judgement point of view, it can call itself Christian. Of course you don't have to be (or call yourself) a Christian to do those things.
It doesn't most of the time - we are all sinners. My point was, groups who say they are Christians. Can they be Christians and lie to its members a lot of the time? No way, no how.

siti

That is an extreme. Let's keep it simple - and stop justifying the obvious- being a Christian requires certain standards, as with any Trade school or college. I realize some want to justify 'their' church but the standard test is the Bible, not me or any other man. If what you believe contradicts the Bible then they aren't Christians. Or else, even the atheists and God-haters can say they are Christians, too. What separates all them from being Christian if there aren't any rules or standards. That's crazy to even think...

Ok. Tell me what the requirements are gone a Christian. Can I worship Satan and be a Christian?
Can I Rob, rape and murder and be one? What, exactly, are the rules, standards and requirements? And, what makes your comments, views, beliefs the acceptable standard?

I didn't say there are no standards - just that the Bible might not be as definitive as I thought you were suggesting. Of course I chose "obvious" examples - although there remain those who still insist that "true" Christians remain under at least some of the Mosaic Law obligations including at least one of my examples.

It is also true, I think, that either believing in or even religiously following Biblical precepts, does not necessarily make you a "Christian". (see James 2:19; 2 Timothy 3:5 for example).

So you're right, I suppose, the definition is to be found in the Bible (he said, apparently doing a complete U-turn) but I think for it to be meaningful, it should be more about what your Church teaches you to do for others (as per my previous post on Matthew 25:31-46 for example) than about exactly what you believe or which particular Biblical moral injunctions you choose to subscribe to. After all, "Christ's" ministry was entirely concerned with the good he could do for others - wasn't it?

PS - I no longer call myself a Christian and don't belong to any denomination so from that POV my views and beliefs are entirely irrelevant to anyone else - unless they choose to consider them.

Last edited:

Sonny

They were shown the door for things they did, not for things they didn't do. Right? they cast out demons in his name and such. He said away from me evil doers.
Right. Bc they weren't His. The devil can do miracles, too. Just saying

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not my sandbox to establish any rules about, of course.

Just as an exercise, though, I guess I would consider one a Christian if he wanted to be considered one and he had some form of use for the concept of Christ (or even of Jesus) as a reference for his pratice.

Then again, I don't consider most so-called Christians religious people at all. Among other reasons, because they tend to rely way too much on scripture and/or on monotheism for monotheism's sake. That makes them too busy and too distracted to even attempt to be religious people as I understand the concept.

They may easily be Christians, but they usually fail to be religious.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It doesn't most of the time - we are all sinners. My point was, groups who say they are Christians. Can they be Christians and lie to its members a lot of the time? No way, no how.

The thread said they are called "not Christians" for things they don't do. It's seems people are more disqualified by things they do do.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
In my opinion, any denomination that believes in Jesus as a divine person and his most basic teachings (Jesus as the son of the only god who, because of his death, allowed for mankind to be saved from Hell) can call themselves Christian. I say this because of the label itself, Christian as a word just means "of or relating to Christ," so to be a Christian, one's beliefs must be Christ-related. Any further qualifications, I feel, aren't necessary to be Christian by definition. A "good" Christian maybe, but that's really an entirely different debate. :p

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Everybody has their own standards and everybody thinks their standards are the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.