• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your view of others

tcprowling

I guess prior to the advent of the internet our view or picture of those from other countries was media based, i.e. what we saw on TV or read in books, magazine and newspapers. So my question is has the internet changed the way you picture those from other countries? If so, In what way?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Aboslutely!

For instance I have friends in Australia, and before I met them on the Internet it was like an alien world to me. Now I've been there, seen the same skies as back home, walked the same sidewalks, seen the same gas (petrol) stations and fast food restaurants, and the same stupid commercials on TV, and have filled in a lot of blanks. It's just like back home, but with funny, lovely accents.

ayani

oh, yes!

when i was a little kid i never, never though i would have friends from so many places... in contrast, it is certainly awesome to be able to *talk to* people, not just see edited, general images of "a people" on a TV. the internet is a God-send.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I guess prior to the advent of the internet our view or picture of those from other countries was media based, i.e. what we saw on TV or read in books, magazine and newspapers. So my question is has the internet changed the way you picture those from other countries? If so, In what way?
I hope you won't take this as a negative, Vince but a pleasant fact I've found since being on the internet is that Aussie's are more like Americans personality wise than any other nation....at least in my opinion. You folks "get" us rather easily and your sense of humor is nearly identical. I love that. :)

anders

Before the Internet or TV, the view I got from printed media, assisted by what my parents thought and told me, was basically that people are people. No change from later electronics.

tcprowling

I have to say Yes. Prior to the internet I was of the opinion that most Americans were pretty affluent, upper middle class. Two cars, at least a four bedroom house with all mods and cons with a maid to do all the house work. Now i find them to be not all that differant from ourselves
The internet has definitely been an eye opener to how others think, in the sense that before I never really went that deep into other people's views. While i don't agree with EVERYTHING others put across I do read with interest their views and try to honour their right to express those views. I mean that in the nicest way

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Hehe I'm with TC!

I had a completely different view of what Americans were like that what the really are!

Actually, it was a whole lot more negative than what TC once thought!

So, the internets has cured me of my arrogance