• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Two Issues

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
The idea for this thread is for everyone to give two issues that you wish most people, or a specific group of people, would switch positions on. But there is a catch, at least one of the two issues must come from your own side of the fence. The issues can be political, philosophical, religious, social, whatever. So, as an example, if you are a Democrat, you would give one issue you wish Republicans would change their ideology on, and one you wish Democrats would as well. You can mix it up as well. Give one issue that is political, and the other religious. And, to keep things fair, if you pick a major issue for your "other side", try to pick an equally important one for your own side as well.

Ill start with two big ones to get them out of the way:
1. Gay Marriage: Pretty self explanatory. I really wish the larger religious community would drop this issue altogether.

2. Abortion: While I can kind of see why the pro-choice crowd tries to argue for women's rights, I generally think they ignore the larger issues.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I wish conservatives would change their stance on gay and women's rights and desire to censor depictions of sexuality, and I wish liberals would change their stance on gun rights and desire to censor depictions of violence.

Basically, I deplore anything that seeks to reduce or restrict rights, freedom and equality.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
1.I wish unreasonable people would take a good look at themselves and realize that most of their arguments are circular, self-contradictory, and founded on fear and prejudice.

2. I wish reasonable people would stop expecting them to do any of this.

elmarna

I wish people would be more able to realize that while they say and speak of a concept it may not be how you think, but how they see, that they respond to.
Example -i think that kindness is a approach in a gentle way. While someone in another country may see what I call generousity as kindness.

I wish that I was not having to be subjected to the tidal wave of negativity I must bath in when I go out of my front door!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I wish that conservatives and liberals would see the parallel between abortion and the death penalty, and would show more respect and protection for human dignity.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't limit to two. Or rather, I can crunch it into one that is horribly oversimplified and has at least a good half dozen facets to it:

1. Environment. For humanity to quit being so nauseatingly anthropocentric and adopt a real, responsible, ecocentric land ethic. If we did this, pretty much all my other environmental gripes would pretty much solve themselves, from human overpopulation to natural resource exploitation.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I wish conservatives would change their stance on gay and women's rights and desire to censor depictions of sexuality, and I wish liberals would change their stance on gun rights and desire to censor depictions of violence.

Basically, I deplore anything that seeks to reduce or restrict rights, freedom and equality.

Whoa! Those were my two immediate ideas too. Now I'm going to have to think of something else. :p

connermt

The idea for this thread is for everyone to give two issues that you wish most people, or a specific group of people, would switch positions on. But there is a catch, at least one of the two issues must come from your own side of the fence. The issues can be political, philosophical, religious, social, whatever. So, as an example, if you are a Democrat, you would give one issue you wish Republicans would change their ideology on, and one you wish Democrats would as well. You can mix it up as well. Give one issue that is political, and the other religious. And, to keep things fair, if you pick a major issue for your "other side", try to pick an equally important one for your own side as well.

Ill start with two big ones to get them out of the way:
1. Gay Marriage: Pretty self explanatory. I really wish the larger religious community would drop this issue altogether.

2. Abortion: While I can kind of see why the pro-choice crowd tries to argue for women's rights, I generally think they ignore the larger issues.

Mine are one in the same: gay marriage.
I wish those against it would just drop it, as it won't change their own specific rights and/or marriage.
Those for it I wish would try to be more logical and respective towards others about their approach.
Of course these are meant for the extremists on both sides.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I wish the Liberals who are leading the opposition to vaccinations would go find a deep ocean to drown in.

I wish the Conservatives who are leading the oppostion to the evolutionary sciences would quietly smother themselves in bull manure.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
From the UK, I am a supporter of the Conservative party (which is not the same the USA)

1. I wish that people would accept the cuts are necessary and take responsibility for themselves anfd their families more, instead of using their wealth to buy material things and get as much as they can from the government for doing as little as possible,

2. I wish the Conservative-Liberal Coalition Government would do more to redress the balance between the taxpayer and the banks, regulate corporations so that they are not legally oblicgated to create maximum divdens to shareholders and force supernormal profits to be fed back into the community, stop micromanaging the education system so every child can get a personalised education that means everyone is successful at something.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I wish conservatives would realize that military spending is spending too.

I wish liberals would realize that fixing social programs like social security and medicare isn't akin to throwing grandma off the cliff.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
From the UK, I am a supporter of the Conservative party (which is not the same the USA)

1. I wish that people would accept the cuts are necessary and take responsibility for themselves anfd their families more, instead of using their wealth to buy material things and get as much as they can from the government for doing as little as possible,

2. I wish the Conservative-Liberal Coalition Government would do more to redress the balance between the taxpayer and the banks, regulate corporations so that they are not legally oblicgated to create maximum divdens to shareholders and force supernormal profits to be fed back into the community, stop micromanaging the education system so every child can get a personalised education that means everyone is successful at something.

Conservative,Labour and the ineffectual Liberals,they all share the same failure.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
I'm a liberal, just to clarify.

[1] Transsexual rights. I wish conservatives would realize that it's a medical problem, and would realize that trans people aren't freaks who need lots of therapy. I wish they'd help protect trans people, and help find out ways to get insurance companies to help trans people who need surgery but can't afford it.

[2] I wish liberals would START ACTUALLY SUPPORTING GLBT RIGHTS rather than saying they do, and then being weak about it. They also tend to be all "I support gay people" and then when they get put on the hot seat, hem and haw and never really say they support gay marriage. Grrr.

I basically wish liberals would grow some balls and stop being all "sparkles and sunshine and bipartisanship tralala". Frankly, the conservative people are going to fight tooth and nail for what they want; liberals should do so as well rather than being so wishy-washy.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I wish that people would accept the cuts are necessary and take responsibility for themselves anfd their families more, instead of using their wealth to buy material things and get as much as they can from the government for doing as little as possible,
There goes congress and all politicians.....

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
There goes congress and all politicians.....

and school teachers I bet.

i'm rather tired of watching children being allowed by their families to throw away their education and opportunities.. a 15yr old student of mine's plans for the summer is to get pregnant "so I get my own house".

:help:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm a Zionist:
  • I wish that more Israelis championed the fight against islamophobia and for Palestinian self-determination.
  • I wish that more Palestinians championed the fight against antisemitism and for Israeli self-determination.