• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you consider to be your true nature? Is there more to you than just mind and body? Who or what are you in the simplest terms?

Is your true nature immortal or mortal? If it's mortal, when was its beginning and when is it's end?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What do you consider to be your true nature? Is there more to you than just mind and body? Who or what are you in the simplest terms?

Is your true nature immortal or mortal? If it's mortal, when was its beginning and when is it's end?
It's a nice philosophical question. I would go with ageless givin there is interconnectedness that is shared and felt.

I like to at time muse and wonder where each atom in my body originated and travelled to where it's here right now.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I am the anomaly that should not exist and yet, here I sit, quietly laughing.

allfoak

Alchemist
Our true nature is an eternal being of light.
It is our soul-self, as apposed to our mortal self, that we are currently in these bodies.
We are the prodigal sons and daughters, (sparks) of the divine.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suppose I see myself as a continuation of life from the past which will continue on into the future. The conscious self is a temporary, and perhaps irrelevant manifestation of that continuation of life. Like a wave in the ocean. The wave may cease to exist at some point but the ocean remains.

giphy.gif

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Do folks believe it is possible to have a "false nature?" Does it make sense to frame the nature of something in terms of trueness and falseness?

It doesn't make sense to me. :shrug:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do folks believe it is possible to have a "false nature?" Does it make sense to frame the nature of something in terms of trueness and falseness?

I suppose one analogy to 'true nature' and 'false nature' would be 'you' and 'a car'.

The car has a computer (also called a brain box) and based on your input can speed up, slow down, turn right, turn left, back up, and take you wherever you want to go. While you and the car operate as one, you are the true nature, not the car.

Eventually, the car gets old, rusts, and its mechanical parts fail. Once the car dies, you either get a new car or simply watch others drive and catch the occasional Uber.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Well I am not my body, my body is something I have. "I" am my conscious and subconscious mind.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose one analogy to 'true nature' and 'false nature' would be 'you' and 'a car'.

The car has a computer (also called a brain box) and based on your input can speed up, slow down, turn right, turn left, back up, and take you wherever you want to go. While you and the car operate as one, you are the true nature, not the car.

Eventually, the car gets old, rusts, and its mechanical parts fail. Once the car dies, you either get a new car or simply watch others drive and catch the occasional Uber.
But if you were uploaded into the car, so that your every personality trait, memory, logic, even thoughts and feelings were incorporated into the electronics and mechanics of the car...Where would the car end and you begin? What would "you" be?

...The answer is Knight Rider, of course. :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Interesting. Can you elaborate?
I am an energy personality essence currently warmly ensconced in the camouflage system of 4 dimensional reality.

Whew. It wasn't just me that thought of that angle too, hence my somewhat cryptic reply. That I am highly aware of this foible of my nature is what makes me an anomaly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I describe my nature in terms of roles.

I am an artist.
I am a teacher.
I am a healer

Its not beyond mind and body; I actually dont understand what that means. Its mortal. Its from the time I was born and my upbringing and it is the time of my dying and death (no afterlife).

PureX

Veteran Member

"The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.

(Desire, here, is the desire to 'know': to own with the mind.)

Yet mystery and manifestations
arise from the same source.
This source is called darkness
(unknowing).

Darkness within darkness:
the gateway to all understanding.

- from the Tao Te Ching

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I am indolent, apathetic and unambitious. Insolent even.

But I believe that my conciousness is part of something bigger. Something that my meagre intellect cannot really fathom. Sometimes I find that comforting, sometimes scary. I dunno. Can we find our true selves?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But if you were uploaded into the car, so that your every personality trait, memory, logic, even thoughts and feelings were incorporated into the electronics and mechanics of the car...Where would the car end and you begin? What would "you" be?

...The answer is Knight Rider, of course. :D

In my analogy, I was merely demonstrating for @Quintessence, in answer to her questions, that the mind/body (the car) can be viewed by some as the false self, while spirit/consciousness/soul (the driver) can be viewed as the true self. This implies dualism, and to be clear, this is not my personal view.

But you do pose an interesting question. I would say in your example above that everything you state is programmed in the car is an aspect of the ego-self and would end with the car. I would be the observer of the car.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you consider to be your true nature?

The phrase, "true nature", seems useful to me in several ways. For instance, when distinguishing between a false front that someone is putting on and their real or true nature. It can also be useful in pointing out that someone's behavior is or is not deeply or profoundly characteristic of them. "That's not her true nature.", etc. It can also be used to designate parts of ones nature that are more or less immutable versus more or less malleable. There are several other applications, too.