• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top three evidences that the Cosmos gives a crap about you…

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Sorry, s2a. I'm not trying to disrespect your thread. Best wishes with sincere answers.

Thank you...we shall see...

I don't think the universe gives a crap, at least not in an emotional context.
I tend to agree…

Another thought. Without me, the reality I perceive, interact with, exist in and experience could not exist. This is, naturally, true for everyone.

As offered personalized anecdote, ok...

So in a way, the fact I exist, that I am the centre of my reality is how the universe "gives a crap about me".

OK, but that’s hardly three good reasons…

I think that you put so many conditions on what constitutes "evidence" is somewhat unfair to certain belief systems of the world. :shrug:

Well, perhaps my fail in that I did not see the caveats as unfair or burdensome … but understand that for folks like myself, “I saw the light” testimonials are punishingly trite and boring… I was hoping for something a bit more insightful…

1. I am.
2. There's a world that I know.
3. There's no conceivable reason for 1 or 2.

“No conceivable reason" available, or none that immediately come to mind for you? :)

I am here.
God wrote the Bible.
Bible says I am important.

Well…ok...
1. I
survived my childhood.
2. I'm not in prison.
3. I have a wonderful child.

Not really persuasive or compelling evidences for others to ponder with equal weight or estimations, but thanks for sharing..

earthspace.jpg

If our solar system is simply just as small as a spec of dust out of thousands of solar systems the size of ours, just compared to our galaxy, imagine how small an individual from earth is compared to the entire universe.

I proved the opposite, sorry.

Citing the obvious does not earn you points… but ty for participating...

1. I wasn't born in the Congo
2. I don't have a horrible disfiguring or debilitating disease from birth
3. I was born in the modern era with video games aplenty

Well, then obviously the cosmos favors you in especial ways unique from all others… :)

It has resulted in many past and continuing years of both good luck and bad luck, the good luck has been that there has been no bad luck and the bad luck has been that there has been no good luck. ;)

Btw, here is a quick diagrammatic model of the way the cosmic hierarchy works...

scaled.php

Wow. I applaud you in the most creatively crfated utter jabberwocky of mindless pointlessness so far as tendered reply…

Huzzah!

If this were only a contest to determine “most mindless, useless, circular, and pointless” reply of all, I deem and award you as champion :)

Revel in your time… :)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Wow. I applaud you in the most creatively crfated utter jabberwocky of mindless pointlessness so far as tendered reply…

Huzzah!

If this were only a contest to determine “most mindless, useless, circular, and pointless” reply of all, I deem and award you as champion :)

Revel in your time… :)

scaled.php
If you're trying to suck up to me you're just wasting your time, I don't let flattery get in the way of honesty and frankness in my dealings...;)

Trey of Diamonds

Not really persuasive or compelling evidences for others to ponder with equal weight or estimations, but thanks for sharing..

The cosmos doesn't compel me to attempt to persuade you and I don't require the cosmos to perform tricks to illustrate its existence. My needs are simple and the cosmos has provided for them.

s2a

The cosmos doesn't compel me to attempt to persuade you and I don't require the cosmos to perform tricks to illustrate its existence. My needs are simple and the cosmos has provided for them.

Hey, that's cool if that's good enough rationale for you...

..but then why participate in any forum that invites others to actually discuss or debate such ideas?

The most essential aspect of debate is to persuade others to your pov.

To simply arrive and say "I'm ok Jack, and that's good enough for me" is fine, as long as you enjoy being on that remote desert island alone.

Any Rand may have reserved you a seat at the next showing of the "I don't give a ***** about anything/anyone else" Broadway play, but don't look for many other folks with human foibles of compassion, empathy, humility, or unselfish generosity to be filling the auditorium around you.

The cosmos might not care one whit... and I've yet to see any evidences that it does... but that should not lead us to conclude that we should not care for others or future generations to follow, or we are exempt from exacting as much from ourselves...

..just saying:)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
me! said:
Another thought. Without me, the reality I perceive, interact with, exist in and experience could not exist. This is, naturally, true for everyone.
As offered personalized anecdote, ok...
Yeah, however, like I said, it's true for everyone. That, you can't really escape, as far as I can see.

me again! said:
So in a way, the fact I exist, that I am the centre of my reality is how the universe "gives a crap about me".
OK, but that’s hardly three good reasons…
Granted, but it's the best I've got so far. In the very few words I'm allowing myself to explain :p I don't really want to get into more (page-long/multi-post) detail, but that about sums it up.

Nooj

none
The most essential aspect of debate is to persuade others to your pov.
i disagree. my prime intention in debating isn't to convince people to believe what i believe. i don't know what i believe and i'm certainly not sure that what i believe is true, so i think it would be somewhat strange to try to convince other people before i convince myself.

of course i often fall into the trap of thinking that i'm right and the other person is wrong and obviously dumb and they should think like me, but that's a sad condemnation of my state of mind. if anyone sees me acting like this, i hope they'll call me out on it.

an important part of debating in my opinion is to learn about other people's beliefs, and to put myself in their shoes to see if those shoes fit. if i feel comfortable within their beliefs, i'll adopt their beliefs. so i use debating as an opportunity to change.

i also try to use debating so as to try to offer my opinions and beliefs to other people, in the hopes that they too will get the same benefit of shoe-fitting that i get from them. i prefer to think of debating as dialectical and less conversional.

..so, absent any accountings or testimonies of wishful thinking or religion…what do you see/account/attribute/claim as compelling evidence that the entirety of the Cosmos even notices your presence?
not out there in space, but here on earth.

i can offer a brief description of my personal experiences, but not with the intention of convincing you. why? my personal experiences are just that, valid and true only for me. i doubt they would be true for you, and so it'd be a misunderstanding of my experiences if i tried to use it to make you into me.

s2a

Nooj said:
i disagree. my prime intention in debating isn't to convince people to believe what i believe. i don't know what i believe and i'm certainly not sure that what i believe is true, so i think it would be somewhat strange to try to convince other people before i convince myself.

Then perhaps you are better served in “discussions”, and not “debate”.Discussions allow the free exchange of ideas without confrontations of reason, logic, or disputations of fact. Some call it “shooting the breeze”. The difference between such discussions, and actual debate, is an accepted accountability of provided support for whatever you claim or assert, even in simple inquiry.

“…of course i often fall into the trap of thinking that i'm right and the other person is wrong and obviously dumb and they should think like me, but that's a sad condemnation of my state of mind. if anyone sees me acting like this, i hope they'll call me out on it.

Again, if you are either unsure, or lacking in skills of articulating an exacting position, then discussions may be your better alternative. :)

an important part of debating in my opinion is to learn about other people's beliefs, and to put myself in their shoes to see if those shoes fit. if i feel comfortable within their beliefs, i'll adopt their beliefs. so i use debating as an opportunity to change.

If I may be so bold as to suggest that you may perhaps learn much from reading and listening to others engaged in debate, without injecting or intervening yourself :) That insight is also available in simple discussions. :)

i also try to use debating so as to try to offer my opinions and beliefs to other people, in the hopes that they too will get the same benefit of shoe-fitting that i get from them. i prefer to think of debating as dialectical and less conversional.

I suppose that depends upon whom, and what company you keep in engaging either discussion or debate. I confess that I prefer to enjoin more debate than “shooting the breeze” about more profound issues, but then I enjoy a confidence of self and understanding that has long surpassed any lasting doubts of surety. :)

i can offer a brief description of my personal experiences, but not with the intention of convincing you. why? my personal experiences are just that, valid and true only for me. i doubt they would be true for you, and so it'd be a misunderstanding of my experiences if i tried to use it to make you into me.

Well, REF is a forum that invites you to give it a shot, if you like.

You never know… :)

PS. I am not "selling" an atheistic perspective, or atheism. I seek no conversions to any specified position or POV other than a view that is not defined by religious/superstitious/mythical/supernatural adherent dogma/practice, or indoctrinated inculcation. See things for what they are, not what others sell as a "vision", or erstwhile "cherry picking" what does and does not conveniently suit a proscribed narrative of unequivocal "truth". All any skeptic ever "sells" is your own capacities to examine things as objectively as possible, and determine you own existential "truth" as it may suit your own understanding of the best available explanations of our natural cosmos and existence today.

idav

Being
Premium Member
So, speak up and make your case :)

Well humans haven't been pummeled by enough space debris to kill us quite yet. We might even get off this rat trap. So I'm thankful and think the cosmos really likes us.

s2a

Well humans haven't been pummeled by enough space debris to kill us quite yet. We might even get off this rat trap. So I'm thankful and think the cosmos really likes us.

All I will add is that perhaps the cosmos hasn't really bothered with us just yet... :)

I wouldn't interpret being ignored by an attractive pretty girl as indication that she actually really likes me :)

Wirey

Fartist
Your top three evidences that the Cosmos gives a crap about you…

…and no, at least for the purposes of this discussion/debate, any claims of “god loves me” are uninvited and most certainly eliminated as “evidence” herein. Please limit yourselves to provision of currently observable phenomena in considered reply, if you please.

So, removing any and all supernatural causations/rationalizations…where can we look into the vastness of the cosmos to point to any particular and specific examples that the Cosmos is either consciously aware of you, personally…or humanity as a collective whole?

Astronomers can readily observe both nascent protostars and the violent aftereffects of supernovae, not to mention actual collisions of entire galaxies…

..so, absent any accountings or testimonies of wishful thinking or religion…what do you see/account/attribute/claim as compelling evidence that the entirety of the Cosmos even notices your presence?

The best we can fairly speculate upon today is that you, as an individual, are but one of appx. 7 billion other human beings on this planet… just one planet of at least eight others in this solar system…orbiting a rather mediocre and average star, with appx. 100 billion other stars in this galaxy we call the “Milky Way”,…of appx 100 billion other galaxies within the known and observable/estimable Cosmos…give or take just a few billion…

So, speak up and make your case :)

Beer

Sex

The 5-4-3 double play

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
No....not evidence. If the universe really cared about us, then.....
Beer would be free.
Sex wouldn't require cuddling afterwards.
Baseball wouldn't be so crushingly boring.

I disagree...

Beer is part of the divine plan for humanity. Some cultural anthropolgists think that beer may have been the catalyst that let to civilization's formation...since it requires farming and specialization. In fact, that great American authority Benjamin Franklin once said that "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

I'm not a woman and I love cuddling. Some species of cuttlefish even cuddle with their mates. I'd say cuddling is a logically necessary outcropping of intelligent social species copulation. Even the gods have to cuddle after mating to make new gods. Logic dictates that Zeus cuddles with Athena and Hephaestus cuddles with Aprhrodite.

Yes baseball is boring (most American sports are)...but that's because it's played by professionals. I look at it from a Game Theory perspective. In game theory, a rational player is often left with only one or a couple of rational choices...with professional players there is often only one rational winner or one boring way to play. Non-professional players are unable to play rationally because they're flawed and imperfect...it makes their games more interesting.

jasonwill2

I disagree...

Beer is part of the divine plan for humanity. Some cultural anthropolgists think that beer may have been the catalyst that let to civilization's formation...since it requires farming and specialization. In fact, that great American authority Benjamin Franklin once said that "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

I'm not a woman and I love cuddling. Some species of cuttlefish even cuddle with their mates. I'd say cuddling is a logically necessary outcropping of intelligent social species copulation. Even the gods have to cuddle after mating to make new gods. Logic dictates that Zeus cuddles with Athena and Hephaestus cuddles with Aprhrodite.

Yes baseball is boring (most American sports are)...but that's because it's played by professionals. I look at it from a Game Theory perspective. In game theory, a rational player is often left with only one or a couple of rational choices...with professional players there is often only one rational winner or one boring way to play. Non-professional players are unable to play rationally because they're flawed and imperfect...it makes their games more interesting.

This blew my mind.