• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your time to die

A

angellous_evangellous

Does everybody have a time to die? I got into a conversation with my uncle about this. He said that it should be okay to kill people, because everybody will die at their time anyway. If he didn't kill them, they would have gotten hit by a car or something else. It's impossible to speed somebody's death up, and impossible to slow it down. Like this conversation we had the next day.

He was standing on a ladder screwing in a door stop for the door in the office. The office was closed at the time, but somebody official looking came up to the door and knocked. I let him in. After he left my uncle said, "Why'd you let him in? He could have been a serial killer gonna kill us both!" I said, "Well, since everybody has a time, even if he didn't kill us, you would have fallen off the ladder anyway."

So, everybody is going to die at a certain time no matter what.

Does anybody else think something similar?

I think he should have his head examined. This is the makings of a sociopath. Seriously.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think he should have his head examined. This is the makings of a sociopath. Seriously.
I agree. I think your uncle's a nut.

I also think most of the poeple on this board so far are very superstitious. Fate, indeed!

The word is chance. When the right combinations of things happen, we will die. When this combination will occur is up to chance.

Sahar

I also think most of the poeple on this board so far are very superstitious. Fate, indeed!

The word is chance. When the right combinations of things happen, we will die. When this combination will occur is up to chance.
Well, if someone believes he didn't come to this world by chance, then it's very expected to believe that he won't leave it by "chance". If some one wants to believe that chances take '"souls"', then no problem but that doesn't mean the others are superstitious.

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, if someone believes he didn't come to this world by chance, then it's very expected to believe that he won't leave it by "chance". If some one wants to believe that chances take '"souls"', then no problem but that doesn't mean the others are superstitious.
Sure it does. That's what superstition is: ascribing personalities and intentions to inanimate and unconscious conditions and circumstances.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
It's impossible to prove, but I don't see any evidence that suggests the "death clock" is real. I could get out of my chair right now, jump out the window head-first, and die, or remain seated and live.

And yes, I plan on doing just that. :p

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

I do not believe that God needs take a personal hand in deciding when we are borne or Die. He breathes our soul into us when the time comes... but our being born is a natural process, that he set in motion with our ancestors, in time immemorial.
When we die He accepts our souls to him self again.

None of this is fate or predestination.

azumi

if youve seen the movie final destanation i think there are clues to cheeting death but only for so long

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
It's impossible to prove, but I don't see any evidence that suggests the "death clock" is real. I could get out of my chair right now, jump out the window head-first, and die, or remain seated and live.

And yes, I plan on doing just that. :p
I don't think you can, not right now. Perhaps if life gets so messed up and you develop mental problems you might be capable of it some day but definitely not right now. You won't jump out that window until something causes you to do it.

cardero

Citizen Mod
if youve seen the movie final destanation i think there are clues to cheeting death but only for so long
I believe before we come down here we create paths. Sort of a flow chart. If "A" doesn't happen then we take road "B". If we fulfill purpose on road "B" than we take road "C", if not, we take road "D". This way it gives us a way out if we get tired of this physical existence.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I do not believe in predestination OR fate. You might all chuckle but the only one who sets the time of your appointment with infinity IS YOU. You're gonna have to trust me on this one. (Plus, it is not like it is the first time you have ever died, lol.)

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I do not believe in predestination OR fate. You might all chuckle but the only one who sets the time of your appointment with infinity IS YOU. You're gonna have to trust me on this one. (Plus, it is not like it is the first time you have ever died, lol.)
Is this something intentional or subconsious? What about accidental death or disease? Doesn't a murderer decide the time of death of his victim?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I believe that no one dies before their time and that we die according to our karma. However the future is not set in stone so if our karma changes our future can change as well. We shape our karma...it is in our hands. So if someone walks in front of a bus and says that if it's not their time to die they won't die...they just created the scenario for their death...by changing the possible outcome for the future...by making a decision. Just because we die when it's our time to die doesn't mean that we should live recklessly, eat unhealthily etc. our current actions shape our future. We can make decisions to lengthen our lives...our future is not set in stone. :)

storm2020

I don't believe in fate, bad luck or that anything in life is pre ordained. The only thing certain in life is that we will die so what's there to worry about? You could be a health nut and the ceiling could collapse in on you and kill you right now. You could smoke 50 cigs a day for sixty years and live until you were 80 (if you could afford it). Death is quite random.

"How do we know we have not already set in motion today, the events that will lead to our death."

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I believe we made promises to others before coming to this earth and gaining a body. I believe I promised my wife to find her and her family. I believe there are people in our lives who we knew in the pre-existence that made promises to us.

I believe in the power to act and choose to our own conscience. there is no predetermined fate or destiny, i believe we have blessings in store for us if we do what we promised to do, what we are supposed to do.

So killing people is wrong, no matter what, because you are stopping people from fulfilling their promises.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I believe we made promises to others before coming to this earth and gaining a body. I believe I promised my wife to find her and her family. I believe there are people in our lives who we knew in the pre-existence that made promises to us.

I believe in the power to act and choose to our own conscience. there is no predetermined fate or destiny, i believe we have blessings in store for us if we do what we promised to do, what we are supposed to do.

So killing people is wrong, no matter what, because you are stopping people from fulfilling their promises.
This my dear sir is an excellent viewpoint. Frubals to you, grasshopper. Almost spot on in my humble opinion. In the past I have likened it to making a shopping list and heading out for the local mall. Once you get there you tend to get sidetracked and may well arrive back home without all the goodies on your list neatly crossed off. That of course entails another trip to the mall. THAT is how reincarnation works and timelines are almost like backdrops that are arranged to suit ones needs. For example there is no reason why one life cannot be in our 21st century and then the "next" life lived in the 20th century... just to give the entity a greater understanding of the immense dynamics involved in the "shopping trip".

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
This my dear sir is an excellent viewpoint. Frubals to you, grasshopper. Almost spot on in my humble opinion. In the past I have likened it to making a shopping list and heading out for the local mall. Once you get there you tend to get sidetracked and may well arrive back home without all the goodies on your list neatly crossed off. That of course entails another trip to the mall. THAT is how reincarnation works and timelines are almost like backdrops that are arranged to suit ones needs. For example there is no reason why one life cannot be in our 21st century and then the "next" life lived in the 20th century... just to give the entity a greater understanding of the immense dynamics involved in the "shopping trip".

Yes, this is also similar to my beliefs, in that people we have close relationships with right now, are people from previous lifetimes and we have certain karmas to fulfill with them. :)

The Great Architect

Difficult question to answer. There have been times during my depression and illness or illnesses, when I was sure I was going to die -- because I felt so unwell or depressed (or a combination of both). And yet, I didn't.

I think it is at these junctures in life that we become different people, or at least we begin the process of change. We see glimpses of different roads...:rainbow1:

Maybe we die, and are reborn countless times in a constant process of change. Maybe the absence of life is just the final stage. I don't know.:confused: