• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Suffering

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you suffer?

Who is responsible for your suffering when you do suffer?

Who has the ability to end your suffering?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My mental illness causes a lot of my suffering. Not going to dress up my own suffering as being ego or what have you, just acknowledge that the source of suffering for others can indeed be different.

I am responsible at least somewhat for my mental illness as I once lived a risky lifestyle.

Medication and time have the ability to end my suffering. Though I'm talking about healing and functioning very well in a normal world, when I use the phrase and context "end my suffering".

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My suffering is in me, because suffering to me is my construct.

So I am responsible and if I am lucky I can end it.

Did you intentionally choose to not answer the other two questions? It's okay if you did. I just wanted point out that you didn't respond to them.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Did you intentionally choose to not answer the other two questions? It's okay if you did. I just wanted point out that you didn't respond to them.

I don't believe in other people being responsible for me. The only one responsible for me in the end is me. Responsible is a social construct and not something you are just because I say so. As for suffering that is a local result of higher order cognition in a brain and thus I suffer, that is on me.

amorphous_constellation

Why do you suffer?

I feel like I might be responsible for a good deal of it, unless I use a kind of pre-suffering as insurance. By that I mean, that I do ruminate on how things could go dreadfully wrong for me. I contemplate the pitfalls and weaknesses in the reality about be. By doing this , I feel that I inoculate myself somewhat against the anxiety I have in facing the gauntlets of the future, present, and past. I try and grow a garden of mental honesty. I strive to become contented with the idea that nothing lasts. Not your life, your job, your pet, your family.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why do you suffer?

Some form of suffering is there for me yes, I am responsable for my own suffering.
Why suffering? I have more to realize so I stop doing mistakes that lead to suffering.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you suffer?

I have nerve endings, an amygdala and neurotransmitter regulation issues.

No one is responsible for my suffering in all cases but only in some cases. There are those who have causes suffering.

My suffering is eternal, for when I die I return to my beginning. On the other hand I also enter rest, so it is a sort of difficult thing to answer.

RestlessSoul

To me suffering is not that something is bad, it is that bad is bad. The 2nd one is a cognitive construct and what makes it suffering.

On the one hand, "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

-Shakespeare, Hamlet

But on the other hand, whatever you think of toothache, it still hurts.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why do you suffer?

Depends.
Some events in life are not easy to forget.
Watching a friend die of leukemia is no picnic
A stomach op that went wrong left me in constant agony for several months, no let up from the pain is mental suffering in the extreme.

Part me, part other people when talking of horrendous events.
No one is responsible for leukemia
The stomach, the surgeon without doubt

Accepting the past.
No one.
A second op by another surgeon.

RestlessSoul

Are you the author of Mulamadhyamakakarika? o_O

The Middle Way, by Nagarjuna? Carlo Rovelli led me to that text. Rovelli posits that "there is no fixed point, of departure or return, to which we may anchor the adventure of knowledge", and says that Nagarjuna's text was pivotal in helping him think about the inherent weirdness of Quantum Mechanics.

I'm really struggling with Nagarjuna, but the commentary helps. And the verses on Time are familiar, from TS Elliot's Four Quartets.