• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Self-Taught Subjects/Skills

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And you weren't arrested for indecent exposure???

Or did i read your post wrongly?
I don't know what you read.
But I've never been arrested.
Someone was once fascinated as I sat
in a parking lot repinning lock cylinders.
It must be the kavorka.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a fan of older forms of Engish (pre vowel shift) and am teaching myself how to read Chaucer and earlier texts from the 11th c. on.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I never knew it at the time but I have always been dyslexic.
I did not learn to read till I was eight. However I became a reader in a single day much to the amazement of my mother. I was already well advanced for my age in maths.
From that Moment I caught up with my peers, and overtook a majority of them in just about everything except spelling and languages. I was well ahead by 11.
I still can not spell. Even words that I have just read. I am not sure how I do read, certainly not a letter at a time, I sort of recognise words.

As a lad I taught myself photography, certainly beyond year two college level.
I could process and print at ten years old.
For my service In the artillery I was a technical assistant providing angles and ranges for the guns. And some times in the observation post giving targets and correction data.

After college (photography) I worked at mainly commercial and industrial photography.
Untill I had a need to produce large numbers of individual photographs.
So taught myself Lithographic printing, including plate making. I could already do the necessary film work.
I extended my skills to layout, paste up and graphic design. I even taught myself hand setting of type and letterpress printing to produce the necessary type proofs.
This was all pre digital. Eventually I moved into management controlling all these areas.
Since then I have taught myself all the equivalent digital skills..

On the hobby side of interests.

I have taught myself joinery and wood turning, and the design and making of numerous spinning wheels and weaving looms, and accessories. and learnt and taught others how to spin and weave.
I can do most trades around the house including wiring and plumbing but not gas.
I designed and built a new kitchen and fully tiled bathroom and loo.

Outside I have landscaped the front and back gardens including brick walls facing the road and around the raised beds, and block paving the hard areas.

On the computer / photographic front I have learnt enough to keep up to date with Photoshop and lightroom and set up several computers from scratch.

Mostly I have no trouble learning just about anything that I am interested in, at least to the standard from a local tradesman. It certainly takes me longer than them, but I am keen enough to get it right.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I can juggle 3 balls in a variety of ways.

I give massages that, I have been told, are professional quality (never took a class).

I have been a Linux sysadmin for the last few years based on self-taught knowledge (and a desperate department).

I have taught myself to do some Python programming (and have been paid for a program I wrote). I've also programmed in Basic, Fortran, PLI, Pascal, C, Java, and Bash shell.

Most of my knowledge of history is self-taught as is my knowledge of biology.

For that matter, most of my knowledge of physics and math is self-taught, although I did have classes in those.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Yet another everyday thread! I know, I know... I'm going crazy thinking everyday stuff matters too, right? :eek:

When I was about 10-11 years old, my mom taught me how to use the dictionary because I had always asked my older brother to read and translate explanations of video game cheats for me. Since then, I've had a literal OCD for looking up almost any and all new words I come across. This has also extended to rules of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Basically, English is by far my most self-taught subject. What I learned from school represents 10% or less of what I know about the English language today.

I've also read a significant amount of articles about psychology, psychiatry, and computer hardware. Reading about the first two was initially because I wanted to know exactly what I had when I realized my OCD wasn't a normal condition when I was 13, and then the reading became a hobby afterward. Computer hardware has been an interest of mine since I was 13 as well, due to my love of video games and amazement by good graphics in games.

What about you? What are your self-taught subjects and/or skills?
Guitar and bass. A lot of trial and error and faffing around got me to the point where I'm not too shabby (though probably not as good as your english).

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yet another everyday thread! I know, I know... I'm going crazy thinking everyday stuff matters too, right? :eek:

When I was about 10-11 years old, my mom taught me how to use the dictionary because I had always asked my older brother to read and translate explanations of video game cheats for me. Since then, I've had a literal OCD for looking up almost any and all new words I come across. This has also extended to rules of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Basically, English is by far my most self-taught subject. What I learned from school represents 10% or less of what I know about the English language today.

I've also read a significant amount of articles about psychology, psychiatry, and computer hardware. Reading about the first two was initially because I wanted to know exactly what I had when I realized my OCD wasn't a normal condition when I was 13, and then the reading became a hobby afterward. Computer hardware has been an interest of mine since I was 13 as well, due to my love of video games and amazement by good graphics in games.

What about you? What are your self-taught subjects and/or skills?
There are few things I can truly say I taught myself. I had no formal education but there were almost every time books or I could watch people.
All the skills I need for my Living History hobby are on that list: sewing, pottery, joinery, carpentry, forging, cooking. Some of it was real self-learning, as in experimentation and interpreting pictures to find ways to do it efficiently with medieval tools.