1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your secret? identify?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daemon Sophic, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +4,063
    So. Some people here are outgoing socialites, while others have lurked for years without posting.
    What level of openness about your real world self have you revealed, and how much have you kept hidden from your fellow forumites here on RF?
    And no, I don’t mean when you send a private message or email to someone. I mean what have you put forward out in the threads?
    I’ll go first.

I tend to be a somewhat reserved. I’ve never posted my picture, revealed my address, my real name, nor my profession. From a review of my many years of posts in the RF, people could determine that I’m a middle-aged married man with a couple of teenage kids. I‘ve been diabetic since childhood, and I’m a vegan/vegetarian. I’m a professional of some sort, and I live somewhere in NY state, but not in NYC. I’m fairly well travelled, but only speak English, and I mostly grew up in Alaska.
    Did I leave out anything?

Now your turn(s). :)

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Snow White

Snow White Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,943
    Well, I'm mostly thinking that myself, @Meow Mix , and @Spiderman , probably land somewhere in the top 10 In terms of being a bit open.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Unknown Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,187
    Religion:
    Hindu
    That's still kinda secretive... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Debater Slayer

Debater Slayer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +28,020
    I've always been reserved about sharing personally identifying information on RF, since I have privacy concerns that could compromise my safety if I stopped sufficiently minding them. I've shared bits of info here and there, but never something like my name or a picture of myself on the public forums.

There have been some members over the years I've gotten quite close to, though, and those know a lot about me (and vice versa). In my case, trusting a member with certain info is an even bigger deal than it would be if I were in a better and safer life situation. It kinda makes interactions with said members more personal, in a good way.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Meow Mix

Meow Mix Chatte Féministe

Ratings:
    +6,211
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    I'm pretty open, not that I have a lot of choice because a lot of that came from decisions I made in my 20's when I joined RF in 2010.

People know my name (Erin), some know my middle name and last name I'm pretty sure (though that's not on the threads). I've never revealed exactly where I live but people know it's in the Midwest. People know I'm an astrophysics grad student (I was an undergrad student when I first joined... I did a lot of stuff in between actually starting grad school). People know most jobs that I've worked, including being a waitress and stripping through early undergrad (before my accident). Which speaking of, people know about my accident and disability (I'm aphonic). People know I'm a lesbian, most people even know my dating history because I'm pretty open about stuff.

I probably reveal too much if I want any hope of maintaining at least location anonymity, maybe some dedicated stalker could put it together, but eh. I think I keep enough to my chest to be safe. I'm just an open person I guess.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  6. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +4,063
    :cool:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Xavier Graham

Xavier Graham Your local anarchist. God is Love is Love is Love

Ratings:
    +1,819
    Religion:
    Set, show me how
    I’ve revealed more than I’m comfortable with :D:eek::oops:
    I’ll just post without thinking about it much sometimes, then I regret the info I shared and stress about it, I be a fool with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Leaderless Animal

Ratings:
    +17,118
    Religion:
    zen
    I'm British, what do you expect?! I didn't tell my mother my middle name till I was 21.
    I had a bad experience on another forum which makes me extra-wary.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Debater Slayer

Ratings:
    +28,020
    You mean your middle name is not really Chief?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Unknown Member

Ratings:
    +24,187
    Religion:
    Hindu
    I can't think of much I've left out. If there's something about me someone doesn't know, they probably just missed that thread. I'm an open book.

Though, truth be told, I'm not a terribly interesting person. To contrast that, I've had a fairly unusual life.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Snow White

Ratings:
    +14,943
    It could always happen, but I've been here two years and met a few people that were let's just say.... on a different plane of existence than me, maybe... and I still haven't faced the consequences to being a bit open in regards to here, that I have on dating and light kink sites. Acquaintanceships on those particular sites, can get weird if you ever have to end them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Debater Slayer

Ratings:
    +28,020
    But... we don't know what you look like! You have a different pose in every avatar! Must be a ploy to keep your identity a secret.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Leaderless Animal

Ratings:
    +17,118
    Religion:
    zen
    No, it's Chef. But don't tell anyone.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Debater Slayer

Ratings:
    +28,020
    Well, you live with seven dwarfs and don't care about that, so I'm sure you can handle a forum just fine.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Meow Mix

Ratings:
    +6,211
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    Also it's so obvious I forgot to mention it, but I post a billion pictures of myself (my avatars daily, or silly things in Post Your Pic 2!). Sometimes these are snapped in the moment (like the current one). So... people have seen me looking my best, but also my silliest (no makeup, glasses, bad hair, sometimes deliberately or not, I don't care ^.^)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Debater Slayer

Ratings:
    +28,020
    What? Nobody knows those! Wanna bet?

:D

17. Meow Mix

Ratings:
    +6,211
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    Reread it, I said SOME know :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Snow White

Ratings:
    +14,943
    Thanks. You can probably handle a forum too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Meow Mix

Ratings:
    +6,211
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    I’ll say a joke amongst my friends is that I’m “Erin as ****,” a joke @Debater Slayer will probably get

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Registered People sTabber

Ratings:
    +41,559
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Some stuff I'm more open here than I am in real life. Such as, here I'm far more open in mentioning that I have Asperger's and discussing trans stuff. In real life such things I rarely bring up or mention.
    Something's it's depends. My first name, Sara, isn't too much of a biggie. I've been more open about closer to where I lived in Indiana.
    But last name or anything too specific to say "here I am, this is me in real life" I tend to not mention here.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1