• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your rice?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As global trade spreads, so too does the variety of rice available. There was a time when the stores here carried one kind of rice, and people in non-rice growing areas didn't even know other rice existed. Gosh, how things change. In this multicultural city I live in, I can probably find up to 50 varieties. Over the years we've moved around on it ... from white to brown to Basmati brown, to Sri Lankan red, and experiementing with new varieties. My new favorite is organic Thailand black cargo rice ... these tastebuds perceive it as REALLY good. So I checked it out for nutrition ... Black Rice: The Gluten-Free Ancient Food That Belongs On Your Plate

What's your rice?

For the true connoisseur, 40 000 varieties ... List of rice varieties - Wikipedia

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am a relatively recent convert to basamati rice. I found a store that sells it in bulk so it is about half the price of prepackaged rice. They have brown basamati rice too. I am buying that next time I visit that store.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My favorite rice dish is rice pilaf.

Jasmine or Basmati would be my rice of choice.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ok. That does it. I'm going to have lunch now. It won't have rice, but this thread has given me the urge to try some varieties of rice that I've never heard of.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Human civilization owes its existence to the environment in general, but especially members of the family Poaceae (grasses). Civilizations arose where there was a member of this family readily available for domestication and cultivation. Rice is one of many, and has always been my favorite. Rice balls, rice crackers (senbei, not the "rice crackers" you get in the United States that are fluffed up), rice cakes... it's all awesome. All forms, all varieties... I'll eat it all.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I love rice any way one can make it, but my favorite is whole-grain ("brown") basmati, and my favorite dish with it is a wild mushroom risotto.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love rice any way one can make it, but my favorite is whole-grain ("brown") basmati, and my favorite dish with it is a wild mushroom risotto.
I can't resist the fragrance of brown Basmati when cooking ... so pranic.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Basmati, or "Texmati" -- Basmati grown in Texas -- is great if you're not going to add strong spices which cover the subtle flavor, otherwise I'd save my money and buy something cheaper.

Things to consider: Brown rice contains ~80% more arsenic than white- -- which already contains significant amounts.
Consumer groups recommend soaking rice before use. This can remove most of the arsenic as well as a lot of the talc used in processing.
"Potato cooking" -- boiling rice in a pot of water then straining, rather than dumping rice and water in your rice-cooker, is also recommended.

4 Ways to Avoid the Huge Problem of Arsenic in Rice | The Healthy Home Economist
Consumer Reports suggests safest, most dangerous options regarding arsenic in rice - NY Daily News

Milton Platt

As global trade spreads, so too does the variety of rice available. There was a time when the stores here carried one kind of rice, and people in non-rice growing areas didn't even know other rice existed. Gosh, how things change. In this multicultural city I live in, I can probably find up to 50 varieties. Over the years we've moved around on it ... from white to brown to Basmati brown, to Sri Lankan red, and experiementing with new varieties. My new favorite is organic Thailand black cargo rice ... these tastebuds perceive it as REALLY good. So I checked it out for nutrition ... Black Rice: The Gluten-Free Ancient Food That Belongs On Your Plate

What's your rice?

For the true connoisseur, 40 000 varieties ... List of rice varieties - Wikipedia

I live in a large city and have been using white, brown, red, and black rice for over a decade. I switch between them all depending on the dish I am making. They are all roughly equivalent nutritionally I think, (except white) but the chemicals that make black rice black (it is actually very dark blue) are the same ones in blueberries, blue grapes, etc. that provide antioxidants. Wild rice has a much higher protein content than the other rices, but it is actually not a true rice, but rather is a type of grass seed.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

In London you can buy just about anything, but my rice is Italian long-grain brown organic. But I'm not a great rice-eater: just the occasional risotto.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My favorite rice is quinoa.
But any rice will do except walking.

(For non-landlords, “walking rice” is maggots.)