• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Religion

nomadchild

Gone Sailing
I am undecided when it comes to religion so I would like to hear from the members what there views are, and why they believe. Thanks for your time.
-Ian

nomadchild

Gone Sailing
Sure! It'll be interesting to see what the everyone believes. I have always thought religion was an interesting topic.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Why don't you share what you currently believe in with us? Like, the basics; your belief in God, afterlife, and so on. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, there are two main facets to my beliefs: my religion (UU), and my theology (which is just weird :D).

I'll start with UU.

Ours is a covenantal faith, not doctrinal. Meaning that we don't have a set theological creed that we adhere to collectively. Rather, we are bound by a set of moral guidelines encapsulated by the 7 Prinicples. We affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
While my theological journey has been... colorful... when I sat down and looked at the Principles, I realized that they had all been among my few constants.

As to why that is, I'd say it's because the express the values I was raised with.

Now for my theology. In a nutshell, I believe in what someone cleverer than I dubbed "the living Godiverse." That God is a sapient organism whose body is the cosmos. All matter is its flesh; all thought, its mind. If you want an in-depth discussion on my ideas, there's a thread linked in my sig.

Anyway, I believe that because it's my best understanding (to date) of an intense theophany I experienced quite young.

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

Gnosticism can be summed up in two quick verses:

I became water
and saw myself
a mirage
became an ocean
saw myself a speck
of foam
gained Awareness
saw that all is but
forgetfulness
woke up
and found myself
asleep.

– Binavi Badakhshani

It is I who am you, and it is you who are me. And wherever you are, I am there.
And I am sown in all; and you collect me from wherever you wish.
And when you collect me, it is your own self that you collect.

--The Gospel of Eve

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/gnosticism-dir/96351-about-gnosticism.html

rafi

Rafi
Personally, I don't have a "religion" since I'm an atheist. However, I still think that's an option that someone still undecided about personal faith should explore. My life up until this point and the Baptist religion I was raised under definitely led me to where I am on my spiritual/religious path [or lack thereof]. Seeing all the harm that organized religion has done to society and the evidence to support subjects like evolution led me to live my life without the restrictions that religion often enforces. That's really only 1% of reasoning in a nutshell, so feel free to ask for elaboration if necessary

Jarry

At Peace
My religion is simple...

I speak kindly to others
I be responsible
I am respectful to all forms of life
I stay sober
I'm peaceful
I'm accepting of everyone
I frown on unrighteousness, and will only help if asked
I'm quiet
I enjoy my food, drink, and cigarettes

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I consider myself Ecclectic mostly. I am Kemetic Orthodox because I associate with the House of Netjer, but I don't necessarily hold all their beliefs. I might also be called a Christian, though a very heretical one, not far shy of Christian Wicca. I go to church sometimes. My view of God is both Pantheistic and Monist. I am a former Buddhist, so I am also very influenced by eastern religions, and that has influenced my out-take on Christianity in many ways. Like I said, very ecclectic.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I call myself a complicated Pagan.. I revere the five elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit) and use their associations to better know myself and the world around me. I'm a Polytheist that flirts with Deism as well.. meaning, I believe in the Gods, but I believe they pretty much leave us alone to our own demises.

There's a lot more, but it's hard to go into without specific questions..

Last edited:

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I believe what I believe because I've been given enough evidence to convince me of it and I don't believe what I don't believe because I've not encountered or been supplied with enough evidence to convince me of it.

I practice what I practice because I find it mentally satisfying and ethnically appropriate.

I am a poly-atheist. I honour several gods, but I don't believe in their literal existance. :p

nomadchild

Gone Sailing
Thank all of you for your replies, I hope to learn a lot from many of you over the next few years. Once again thanks for your time!
-Ian

Onkara

God is everything, everything is God. Understanding this sufficiently takes us back "home". It is not a belief, it is knowing.

I can give this a name, a starting point, and we can discuss the parts which make up the sum. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have no religion, since I think there are neither gods nor truth.
I live as a Libertarian, which means my right to swing my arms ends where my neighbors nose begins.
I believe in non-aggression, so the sole purpose of government should be to preserve civil liberties.

DoctorAnswerMan

Resident Answer Man
'God', I have found, is more of a title or vague descriptor on its own. People seem to have made 'gods' of nearly everything in their world or in their mind.

I look about and see a universe and so I acknowledge existence.

I realize that nothing complex comes about by accidental collision of random bits so I acknowledge a creative force.

Observing the stars, the seasons, the reproductive cycles of living things, etc. demonstrates to me that there is order of some type to this creation.

My initial conclusion then is that the primary task of mankind is to determine 'why?' and then to do something about it when he finds that reason.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
'God', I have found, is more of a title or vague descriptor on its own. People seem to have made 'gods' of nearly everything in their world or in their mind.

I look about and see a universe and so I acknowledge existence.

I realize that nothing complex comes about by accidental collision of random bits so I acknowledge a creative force.

Observing the stars, the seasons, the reproductive cycles of living things, etc. demonstrates to me that there is order of some type to this creation.

My initial conclusion then is that the primary task of mankind is to determine 'why?' and then to do something about it when he finds that reason.

Don't understand the power of "accidents" when there are enuf of them & the
environment is ripe for emergent properties. You're interesting, as always.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Personally, I believe God is the Unmanifest, Impersonal Absolute Reality, the sum of all that is, and personal inner Guru. I have panentheistic/monistic views; so God is everything that is, but still transcends the universe and its inhabitants.

I believe in reincarnation and the soul, which is fundamentally God. I'm somewhere between Sikhism and various schools of Hinduism, theologically.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

I'm a Baha'i as the direct result of extensive reading, prayer, investigation, research, observation, and evaluation.

Since combined with almost 39 years as a Baha'i during which I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret this decision!

So I cordially invite you to investigate ALL the great religions, not just mine, without prejudice ("pre-judging") and without letting others influence your decision; and then to follow whichever path you decide is the best one!

And I offer my best regards and wish you good hunting! :)

Bruce