• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I'd like to discuss with the people on Religious Forums specifically about how they view themselves. I happen to change my religious status pretty regularly, because I don't feel like any status really does a good job at identifying my beliefs. I happen to be influenced by a variety of beliefs rather than just one or two.

Now, I see that some people take the religion status literally, and if they have no religion they simply say "none" or "no religion", whereas other people will take the religion status and fill it in with a religious position, such as "atheist", "agnostic", "humanist" or something along those lines. Neither atheism, agnosticism nor humanism are religions of themselves, but it does help me understand someone by knowing their specific stance on this issue.

Others are more creative. @Orbit calls her religion "dinner". I guess she feasts on religion every evening.

But saying that you are atheist is kind of like a Christian calling himself monotheistic. There are more specific terms someone can use to describe themselves. For example, anti-theist comes to mind. There's also another term I heard a long time ago that essentially means that "I don't believe in any supernatural or superstitious phenomena", but I can't remember what that term was called.

You could describe me as a spiritual naturalist. There are groups for just about any idea, including that one. In the most broadest sense my viewpoints are just that: spiritual naturalism. But would you call spiritual naturalism a religion or a religious view point? In the most specific sense, I use the term Exaltist to describe what I believe in too. It's even in my user name.

All Exaltists are Syntheists, some Syntheists are Exaltists. All Syntheists are Earthseed Shapers, some Earthseed Shapers are Syntheists. All Earthseed Shapers are spiritual naturalists, some spiritual naturalists are Earthseed Shapers. All pantheists are spiritual naturalists, some spiritual naturalists are pantheists. The broadest terms I can use to describe myself are pantheist and spiritual naturalist, and the most specific terms I can use to describe myself are Exaltist, Syntheist or Earthseed Shaper.

So my question to you is, what is the best way someone can describe their beliefs, so the other people in the community know who that person is and what they stand for? I already call myself Exaltist Ethan, and I throw around these terms in my signature. Most likely people here are not going to know what I mean if I say I'm Exaltist, Syntheist or Earthseed, but they probably do know what a spiritual naturalist or pantheist believes in.

Anyone can Google any term, yet all of these terms don't really fit into a religion by themselves. I fall closer to those who are spiritual and not religious, so it only makes sense that my stances don't really fit into any organization. However, there is the World Pantheist Movement and the Spiritual Naturalist Society online that constitutes as quasi-religions for those who take those positions.

Honestly, I would feel more comfortable using the religion status to call myself "Pantheist" or "Spiritual Naturalist" rather than using the terms "World Pantheist Movement" or "Spiritual Naturalist Society", but I am unsure why that is. Maybe it's because the umbrella terms are broader and don't have any hidden agendas. I am a member and have donated to the World Pantheists, but I just prefer to use the overall concept of these ideas over the organizations and their agendas to get my point across.

And also, it it better to use the religion status to describe yourself, like "Christian", or is it better to use it to state your religion, like "Christianity"? I know I'm overthinking this completely and it really does not matter either way, but I was wondering how people prefer to frame their religion status.

And is it ever okay to call yourself part of a religion when you are not? For example, I have not been formally inducted into Earthseed as an Earthseed Shaper yet I can call myself Earthseed, or rather any other religion, based on what my point of view is. If I call myself a spiritual naturalist or pantheist people will get a general sense of where I fall on these issues, but using the terms Exaltist, Syntheist or Earthseed is more specific and helps clarify to others what I believe.

I remember the user @Eddi calling himself a Methodist until he realized that many of his positions are general Christianity rather than typical Methodism and therefore he started wearing the label Christian. I find that many people who use the term Christian to describe themselves are also part of a smaller denomination as well. And, some people get creative on their descriptions. Some people will not use the term Christian but instead "Follower of Christ" to mark more a sincere devotion to Christianity than a typical Christian.

Using the term "Spiritual Naturalism" to describe my religion is probably the safest bet to describe my view points, because I happen to agree with that entire concept and most people understand what it is without having to research it on Google. But who knows, maybe I'll find that term too broad in the future and want to be more specific again. I also don't know if framing it as "Spiritual Naturalism" or "Spiritual Naturalist" is better.

In your opinion, what is the best way to approach the religion status feature of this website?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In your opinion, what is the best way to approach the religion status feature of this website?

I ignore the religious status for the most part, and just change my avatar daily. :)

The avatars give some indication of not only my religion, but things I've learned about recently(often, when I'm reading, I'll look up pictures to understand who/what I'm reading about, and they'll get saved to my files, possibly becoming an avatar at some point). There are also often avatars I find funny, unique, or joyful, or otherwise reflect my mood or other experiences.

You can tell more about me from my avatars than my religious status, which I keep quite general.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I say Buddhism, but the form I practice (Bompu Zen) barely qualifies as a religion if at all.

I really don't care about religious status because it's completly worthless after death, so I view it as a raft to use for this lifetime.

So there's no point in bragging about it or mentioning it aside from occasionally discussing it like with this threads topic.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well, I am a strong universal skeptic, a form of natural deist. Oh, yes also a form of absurdist.
In the end I only have blind faith, so that is it in short.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So my question to you is, what is the best way someone can describe their beliefs, so the other people in the community know who that person is and what they stand for?

How surmountable this task is depends on the specific community in question. On balance, though, it insurmountable for a couple of reasons.

First, cultural/religious diversity in humans is significant. Even where we are focusing on a specific cultural/religious community, there is considerable variation in how individual people and families will be practicing and living their traditions. At best, we can make generalizations when we narrow the scope of our frame of reference... and remember that these are generalizations that may not reflect the specific, individualized practices of the person we are interacting with.

Second, cultural/religious literacy in humans is poor. This means that students completing high school lack even a basic framework for understanding cultural/religious diversity. College-educated students fare no better, as basic competency in cultural/religious diversity isn't required there either.
When folks don't get religion, much less have a working knowledge of the diversity of religions throughout history and the world, well... it's almost inevitable you've got to do a lot of explaining. Especially if you're a religious minority in your country.

And is it ever okay to call yourself part of a religion when you are not?

On the whole I'd say it's not my place to judge. I would ask yourself the reasons why you are doing so and go from there. Is it because you are aspiring to become that? If so, I think taking a title and them working to live up to it has a lot of value. If on the other hand you're doing it for less than kind reasons (say, to mock those traditions or deliberately misrepresent them)? Yeah, not really a fan.
There are also some religious traditions that are membership-based and not a matter of self-identification. I prefer to respect that and avoid treading on that territory. Others don't have that same regard.

Don't overthink it.

Do be aware that the staff have often used a member's religion field to determine suitability for posting in various DIRs or Same Faith Debates, though. That's about the only thing to watch.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'd like to discuss with the people on Religious Forums specifically about how they view themselves. I happen to change my religious status pretty regularly, because I don't feel like any status really does a good job at identifying my beliefs. I happen to be influenced by a variety of beliefs rather than just one or two.

Now, I see that some people take the religion status literally, and if they have no religion they simply say "none" or "no religion", whereas other people will take the religion status and fill it in with a religious position, such as "atheist", "agnostic", "humanist" or something along those lines. Neither atheism, agnosticism nor humanism are religions of themselves, but it does help me understand someone by knowing their specific stance on this issue.

Others are more creative. @Orbit calls her religion "dinner". I guess she feasts on religion every evening.

But saying that you are atheist is kind of like a Christian calling himself monotheistic. There are more specific terms someone can use to describe themselves. For example, anti-theist comes to mind. There's also another term I heard a long time ago that essentially means that "I don't believe in any supernatural or superstitious phenomena", but I can't remember what that term was called.

You could describe me as a spiritual naturalist. There are groups for just about any idea, including that one. In the most broadest sense my viewpoints are just that: spiritual naturalism. But would you call spiritual naturalism a religion or a religious view point? In the most specific sense, I use the term Exaltist to describe what I believe in too. It's even in my user name.

All Exaltists are Syntheists, some Syntheists are Exaltists. All Syntheists are Earthseed Shapers, some Earthseed Shapers are Syntheists. All Earthseed Shapers are spiritual naturalists, some spiritual naturalists are Earthseed Shapers. All pantheists are spiritual naturalists, some spiritual naturalists are pantheists. The broadest terms I can use to describe myself are pantheist and spiritual naturalist, and the most specific terms I can use to describe myself are Exaltist, Syntheist or Earthseed Shaper.

So my question to you is, what is the best way someone can describe their beliefs, so the other people in the community know who that person is and what they stand for? I already call myself Exaltist Ethan, and I throw around these terms in my signature. Most likely people here are not going to know what I mean if I say I'm Exaltist, Syntheist or Earthseed, but they probably do know what a spiritual naturalist or pantheist believes in.

Anyone can Google any term, yet all of these terms don't really fit into a religion by themselves. I fall closer to those who are spiritual and not religious, so it only makes sense that my stances don't really fit into any organization. However, there is the World Pantheist Movement and the Spiritual Naturalist Society online that constitutes as quasi-religions for those who take those positions.

Honestly, I would feel more comfortable using the religion status to call myself "Pantheist" or "Spiritual Naturalist" rather than using the terms "World Pantheist Movement" or "Spiritual Naturalist Society", but I am unsure why that is. Maybe it's because the umbrella terms are broader and don't have any hidden agendas. I am a member and have donated to the World Pantheists, but I just prefer to use the overall concept of these ideas over the organizations and their agendas to get my point across.

And also, it it better to use the religion status to describe yourself, like "Christian", or is it better to use it to state your religion, like "Christianity"? I know I'm overthinking this completely and it really does not matter either way, but I was wondering how people prefer to frame their religion status.

And is it ever okay to call yourself part of a religion when you are not? For example, I have not been formally inducted into Earthseed as an Earthseed Shaper yet I can call myself Earthseed, or rather any other religion, based on what my point of view is. If I call myself a spiritual naturalist or pantheist people will get a general sense of where I fall on these issues, but using the terms Exaltist, Syntheist or Earthseed is more specific and helps clarify to others what I believe.

I remember the user @Eddi calling himself a Methodist until he realized that many of his positions are general Christianity rather than typical Methodism and therefore he started wearing the label Christian. I find that many people who use the term Christian to describe themselves are also part of a smaller denomination as well. And, some people get creative on their descriptions. Some people will not use the term Christian but instead "Follower of Christ" to mark more a sincere devotion to Christianity than a typical Christian.

Using the term "Spiritual Naturalism" to describe my religion is probably the safest bet to describe my view points, because I happen to agree with that entire concept and most people understand what it is without having to research it on Google. But who knows, maybe I'll find that term too broad in the future and want to be more specific again. I also don't know if framing it as "Spiritual Naturalism" or "Spiritual Naturalist" is better.

However the person wants to provide an indication. Vague, specific, general...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
...change my avatar daily. :)

The avatars give some indication of not only my religion, but things I've learned about recently(often, when I'm reading, I'll look up pictures to understand who/what I'm reading about, and they'll get saved to my files, possibly becoming an avatar at some point). There are also often avatars I find funny, unique, or joyful, or otherwise reflect my mood or other experiences.

You can tell more about me from my avatars than my religious status

That's very informative, thanks. I just thought you were indecisive.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd like to discuss with the people on Religious Forums specifically about how they view themselves. I happen to change my religious status pretty regularly, because I don't feel like any status really does a good job at identifying my beliefs. I happen to be influenced by a variety of beliefs rather than just one or two

I first offer a thought from a past religious scripture.

Zechariah 14:9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one

I see that is the age we live in, where all the Names of God become One. This is why people are starting to see that all Faiths have light that can be embraced.

This is fundamentally why I embraced the name Baha'i, as a follower of Baha'u'llah, which literally means we choose to be followers of the Glory of God, or Glory of the Lord, or follower of the light, not allowing the barrier of names.

This is the fundamental teaching that I see will unite us in this age, that all past religions are of the same source and we are One human race born into the potential of that light of oneness.

Great topic, many ways it can be discussed.

Regards Tony

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I ignore the religious status for the most part, and just change my avatar daily. :)

You can tell more about me from my avatars than my religious status, which I keep quite general.
What mood does the cat in the suit reflect?

The Sum of Awe

I really don't care about religious status because it's completly worthless after death, so I view it as a raft to use for this lifetime.
Don't all things lose value after death? Except maybe the energies you've spread through the world?

Twilight Hue

Don't all things lose value after death? Except maybe the energies you've spread through the world?
I don't think it loses value. That varies from lifeform to lifeform via context and perspective.

As an example, after my death, my value will increase dramatically as my dead body will hold extremely high value for the worms and bacteria enjoying a great feast.

The Sum of Awe

I don't think it loses value. That varies from lifeform to lifeform via context and perspective.

As an example, after my death, my value will increase dramatically as my dead body will hold extremely high value for the worms and bacteria enjoying a great feast.
I was talking moreso about the things we fill our lives with, arbitrary things. Such as religious status, political status, the way we dress, hobbies, the stories we read, etc.

Twilight Hue

I was talking moreso about the things we fill our lives with, arbitrary things. Such as religious status, political status, the way we dress, hobbies, the stories we read, etc.
Oh. Like enjoying quality experiences while living.

I think whatever floats your boat would suffice nicely if you feel fulfilled and happy on a personal level with whatever you do.

I think of my life as Little Big Man on that front.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So my question to you is, what is the best way someone can describe their beliefs, so the other people in the community know who that person is and what they stand for?

That's an interesting question. From one perspective, I'm spiritual but not religious since I don't identify with any formal religious tradition. In another view I identify love as my religion (following the song) and added omnism because I find that all religions being paths to the Divine are worthy (Blind Men and the Elephant reference). I've also identified myself as someone who has accepted Meher Baba as the Avatar of the Age and a few times noted the spiritual community I'm a part of.

All are true at the same time.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
New I'd like to discuss with the people on Religious Forums specifically about how they view themselves. I happen to change my religious status pretty regularly, because I don't feel like any status really does a good job at identifying my beliefs. I happen to be influenced by a variety of beliefs rather than just one or two.
I view myself as a Baha'i and that is the only religion I have ever belonged to. I like a lot of other religions and I believe that all the major religions share the same spiritual teachings so I learn from the teachings of other religions.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
However the person wants to provide an indication. Vague, specific, general...

I always wanted to ask you what the "zn" in your religion status means. Is it just a way of saying you believe but you don't know what you believe? Or you just don't want to tell us what you belief? What's the point of calling yourself a religion that we can't identify? Are you intentionally being vague for some reason?

I first offer a thought from a past religious scripture.

Zechariah 14:9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one

I see that is the age we live in, where all the Names of God become One. This is why people are starting to see that all Faiths have light that can be embraced.

This is fundamentally why I embraced the name Baha'i, as a follower of Baha'u'llah, which literally means we choose to be followers of the Glory of God, or Glory of the Lord, or follower of the light, not allowing the barrier of names.

This is the fundamental teaching that I see will unite us in this age, that all past religions are of the same source and we are One human race born into the potential of that light of oneness.

Great topic, many ways it can be discussed.

Regards Tony

Does the Bible (and other canonical scriptures) refer God as glory? Why is glory the best name for God?

-

I like using the term spiritual naturalism to describe my beliefs, but Earthseed just seems like a better fit right now. The Earth avatar, and the specificity of the religion is what I want to get across, even if very few people know what Earthseed means.

(btw, the last post I made was 666, and this post is 667, right next to the way of the beast. :D )