• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your proposal story.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For those of us who are married .... How did you propose to your spouse, or get proposed to? Here's my story: Boss and I were best friends, platonic. The idea of marriage came up via the Guru. I was a shy, non-aggressive guy. But what I wanted to know was whether or not she (she was 20, young) wanted to get married at all. I certainly didn't want her to do something she didn't want to do, at that young age. So I asked, "Do you want (all about her) to get married?" When she said, "I guess so," it lead to further discussion, and finally we agreed it was most likely a good idea.

My son was more romantic. On a chilly fall day, on a walk, he presented his girl with a warmer jacket. The ring was inside the pocket. After fifteen minutes or so, she stuck her hand in the pocket.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I met him at uni, were on the same courses. We got on well and worked together. We had more or less the same outlook on life.

One evening while trying to master and manipulate imaginary numbers together I suggested that we start a business doing 3D graphics because we new it all after uni (actually it was early on in desktop computers and 3D graphics was probably unique so we probably did know it all). His reply was sure and let's get married too.

I don't think he was joking, anyway, after uni we began the business and then got married before the hard times hit.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I met him at uni, were on the same courses. We got on well and worked together. We had more or less the same outlook on life.

One evening while trying to master and manipulate imaginary numbers together I suggested that we start a business doing 3D graphics because we new it all after uni (actually it was early on in desktop computers and 3D graphics was probably unique so we probably did know it all). His reply was sure and let's get married too.

I don't think he was joking, anyway, after uni we began the business and then got married before the hard times hit.
So the marriage proposal was just a casual add on. That's cute.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My husband was the friend of a long distance friend; he began badgering me to drive to the other side of the country to see him almost immediately. (For some reason, he was persistent, and my rude jokes at his expense didn't scare him off at all.) After a month of phone calls, I made the drive.

He was at work when I got there and couldn't leave(long story). So, I sat up there(small town bar, tourist trap) with him. He was out on a cigarette break, and we were standing there, nose to nose, and he says "I'm going to marry you." Then he remembered who he was talking to, shrunk down and added "...if that's okay with you". I said that would be fine with me.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Oh boy. We were both starving USAF airmen in technical training in MS and we had been dating 3 1/2 months but were friends for 6 month. We had dinner together in the chow hall after our school day was done. He was wearing civvies (civilian clothes) and I was still wearing my BDUs (work uniform). After we left chow to get back to our squadron, in front of the dumpster, he asked me to marry him. If I still wowed him with an unattractive uniform on, with the stench of rotting trash in the air, it must have been love. Almost 33 years later, it still is. Of course the first year of our marriage we only saw each other one weekend a month for 27 hours before one of us drove back to our base 10 hours away. Fun.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh boy. We were both starving USAF airmen in technical training in MS and we ate dinner together in the chow hall. He was wearing civvies (civilian clothes) and I was still wearing my BDUs (work uniform). After we left chow to get back to our squadron, in front of the dumpster, he asked me to marry him. If I still wowed him with an unattractive uniform on, with the stench of rotting trash in the air, it must have been love. Almost 33 years later, it still is. Of course the first year of our marriage we only saw each other one weekend a month for 27 hours before one of us drove back to our base 10 hours away. Fun.
That makes a great story. "He proposed to me beside a garbage dumpster, not at Niagara Falls."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My husband was the friend of a long distance friend; he began badgering me to drive to the other side of the country to see him almost immediately. (For some reason, he was persistent, and my rude jokes at his expense didn't scare him off at all.) After a month of phone calls, I made the drive.

He was at work when I got there and couldn't leave(long story). So, I sat up there(small town bar, tourist trap) with him. He was out on a cigarette break, and we were standing there, nose to nose, and he says "I'm going to marry you." Then he remembered who he was talking to, shrunk down and added "...if that's okay with you". I said that would be fine with me.
Was he drunk? Were you drunk?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That makes a great story. "He proposed to me beside a garbage dumpster, not at Niagara Falls."
Definitely a conversation starter. That or we get weird looks as people back away. But military folks understand these things. Our wedding was even more bizarre. We only had a weekend to get married, so we had to pick a state without a waiting period for a blood test. We drove to the border of the closest state, almost at the end of the work day, found the court house, and had the JOP marry us. That night I was on a bus back to my base because I had to work the next day. Memories... Also we had our reception 3 months later at his aunt and uncle's house on the intercoastal. Lots of family were there. I went clamming in the intercoastal that day for our reception meal. He loves telling the clamming story. I had to work for our meal. lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Definitely a conversation starter. That or we get weird looks as people back away. But military folks understand these things. Our wedding was even more bizarre. We only had a weekend to get married, so we had to pick a state without a waiting period for a blood test. We drove to the border of the closest state, almost at the end of the work day, found the court house, and had the JOP marry us. That night I was on a bus back to my base because I had to work the next day. Memories... Also we had our reception 3 months later at his aunt and uncle's house on the intercoastal. Lots of family were there. I went clamming in the intercoastal that day for our reception meal. He loves telling the clamming story. I had to work for our meal. lol
We had a JOP wedding as well. That was our first wedding. Were the clams delicious?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We had a JOP wedding as well. That was our first wedding. Were the clams delicious?

We had 2 weddings. Way back in 1995 at a registry office in Preston. And again in 2009 at a notaires office in france.

French inheritance law is weird so we married again so we could be included in each others wills.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We had 2 weddings. Way back in 1995 at a registry office in Preston. And again in 2009 at a notaires office in france.

French inheritance law is weird so we married again so we could be included in each others wills.
We had 3, so I'm one up on you. The second was a religious one, back when my Guru was making the transition to Hinduism, and we didn't know all that much. Nobody there to guide us, (we used a poor book) as that was before many Hindus had immigrated to the west. It was at 5AM (astrology, ya know) on a beach shrine on the Kona coast in Hawaii. The third was when Sri Lankan friends noticed we had left out a very important part of the wedding, the thali or mangalasutra. It has similar importance as a wedding ring, and is to be always worn. So we had another wedding, much better guided by elders and a priest that knew what he was doing. We could have had yet another on a 60th birthday, but we'd had enough weddings.

I don't get big weddings. My youngest daughter and her guy are probably getting married n Vegas soon. Nobody is invited, AFAIK.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
We had 3, so I'm one up on you. The second was a religious one, back when my Guru was making the transition to Hinduism, and we didn't know all that much. Nobody there to guide us, (we used a poor book) as that was before many Hindus had immigrated to the west. It was at 5AM (astrology, ya know) on a beach shrine on the Kona coast in Hawaii. The third was when Sri Lankan friends noticed we had left out a very important part of the wedding, the thali or mangalasutra. It has similar importance as a wedding ring, and is to be always worn. So we had another wedding, much better guided by elders and a priest that knew what he was doing. We could have had yet another on a 60th birthday, but we'd had enough weddings.

I don't get big weddings. My youngest daughter and her guy are probably getting married n Vegas soon. Nobody is invited, AFAIK.
Our wedding was pretty small... just the officiator, the other couple that was getting married(his brother married my roommate), my son(who was 5) and my friend from work(I needed a witness, and I decided she was the only person I was comfortable with attending). The family balked, but I didn't want them staring at me. No rings; there was no money for anything like that.

My favorite uncle took bets at the reception(which was in someone's yard, and pot luck for food) as to how long it would last. He lost his money.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Our wedding was pretty small... just the officiator, the other couple that was getting married(his brother married my roommate), my son(who was 5) and my friend from work(I needed a witness, and I decided she was the only person I was comfortable with attending). The family balked, but I didn't want them staring at me. No rings; there was no money for anything like that.

My favorite uncle took bets at the reception(which was in someone's yard, and pot luck for food) as to how long it would last. He lost his money.
How long did the uncle say? Did he give it at least a year? My parents and two friends as witnesses came to our civil wedding. Then we went out to a hippy vegetarian restaurant. I think it was Dad's first encounter win an avocado. He paid for it. The one friend passed about 2 years later, and got reborn with us. Poor sucker.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
How long did the uncle say? Did he give it at least a year? My parents and two friends as witnesses came to our civil wedding. Then we went out to a hippy vegetarian restaurant. I think it was Dad's first encounter win an avocado. He paid for it. The one friend passed about 2 years later, and got reborn with us. Poor sucker.
I don't remember exactly how long he gave it; I don't think it was a year. I think he gets more of a kick telling folks how my husband and I met and married than either of us do.

How'd he like the avocado? Nice he paid for it. I asked my dad to pay for my wedding dress(100 bucks), which he did, but complained that I wouldn't find anything cheaper.

How'd you recognize your friend when he got reborn with you? I know my second son knew me upon birth, and was trying very hard to tell me something...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't remember exactly how long he gave it; I don't think it was a year. I think he gets more of a kick telling folks how my husband and I met and married than either of us do.

How'd he like the avocado? Nice he paid for it. I asked my dad to pay for my wedding dress(100 bucks), which he did, but complained that I wouldn't find anything cheaper.

How'd you recognize your friend when he got reborn with you? I know my second son knew me upon birth, and was trying very hard to tell me something...
I picked him (the soul) up at the funeral. Boss conceived about a week later. He hovered, and it was a quick transition for him. All he ever wanted was some stability, and now, thankfully, he has it. When he was two, he spoke of the setting at the funeral. He described the trees there.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I picked him (the soul) up at the funeral. Boss conceived about a week later. He hovered, and it was a quick transition for him. All he ever wanted was some stability, and now, thankfully, he has it. When he was two, he spoke of the setting at the funeral. He described the trees there.
I'm happy he got what he needed. Really impressed with his memory...