• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Principle Scripture

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Earthseed's scripture is posted here and can be read in like fifteen minutes. It includes sixty-six passages from the Parable books called The Book of the Living.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In paganism? Good luck finding out. :shrug:
dbfbe55872455fa61cd8b33744076f9f.jpg

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
The principle scripture of Judaism is the Torah, but it is important to also understand that the Oral Torah is what helps us interpret the Torah -- you can't really be "just Torah."

The Torah is the first five books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. They are also referred to as the Penteteuch, the Books of Law, and the Books of Moses.

Jewish synagogues go through the entire Torah once a year, so if you attend and pay attention, you become very well versed. Most synagogues also have Torah studies which go into greater depth learning about each week's Torah portion. These Torah studies usually incorporate what the Talmud has to say on it, and other commentaries.

Just to add to this for those interested... We also celebrate the end of the full-year cycle of reading the Torah with a holiday in the fall, called Simchas Torah (meaning "rejoicing with the Torah"), that involves singing and dancing. I remember one particularly memorable Simchas Torah when our rabbi had helpers unfurl one of our Torah scrolls, and we were able to see how long it was -- long enough to completely encircle the entire interior of the Sanctuary. We all stood against the wall of the Sanctuary (having first washed our hands), and each of us was permitted to very gently and carefully help hold up the scroll with the tips of our fingers. Our rabbi walked around the circle, showing us where the pages of the scroll were sewn together, and explaining all the work that went into the making of a Torah scroll. It was a wonderful "hands-on" learning experience. I don't think that all synagogue congregations do this unfurling of the Torah for congregants, and it was a rare treat that was done in our congregation.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the principle scripture of your religion?

Have you read it? All of it? Part of it?

Have you read it more than once? If so, why?

Do you read commentaries upon it? Just one or many? Why?
There aren't any truly principal scripture for Hinduism. There are more widely read ones and less widely read ones.
The ones that I have read more in detail include the Gita and the Principal Upanishads. I have read several translations of these as well as some classical and modern commentaries. They have somewhat different viewpoints and some translations give a bit of different flavor than others. That is why.
I think I have read the Gita 10-15 times and the Upanisads 4-5 times all through. Otherwise I refer to sections when the need arises.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the closest I have to a religion is Taoism. I've read the Tao te Ching multiple times under multiple translations, and the iching as well. Part of one or two forums on Taoism so I can get a multitude of personal views.

Though most literature about Taoism stresses personal journeys, nonexclusive paths, the impossibility of doctrinal or scriptural purity, so texts be it from Lao Tzu or Alan Watts are more like self help recommendations, to be taken or left as seen fit.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
There aren't any truly principal scripture for Hinduism. There are more widely read ones and less widely read ones.
The ones that I have read more in detail include the Gita and the Principal Upanishads. I have read several translations of these as well as some classical and modern commentaries. They have somewhat different viewpoints and some translations give a bit of different flavor than others. That is why.
I think I have read the Gita 10-15 times and the Upanisads 4-5 times all through. Otherwise I refer to sections when the need arises.
I have both the Hare Krishna commentary on the Bhagavad Gita and Easwaran's translation. I'm not so big on the Hare Krishna one.

However, as I get back in touch with the pantheism I abandoned, there is a lot of perspective the Gita gives from the position of monism that I appreciate a lot. This thread has inspired me to re-read it and the Dao de Jing.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I have read the Bible twice through. I still study it and try to glean what the non literal meaning could have been before the recent trend of literalism took hold. I also like books by Deepak Chopra and Eckhart Tolle.