• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Principle Scripture

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the principle scripture of your religion?

Have you read it? All of it? Part of it?

Have you read it more than once? If so, why?

Do you read commentaries upon it? Just one or many? Why?

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
The Devi Bhagavatam and the Chandi Path (also known as the Durga Saptashati or the Devi Mahatmaya) are the principal scriptures of Shaktism.

I've read the whole Devi Gita, which comes from the Devi Bhagavatam, but I haven't read the entire Devi Bhagavatam itself. I *have* read the whole Chandi Path. I've actually read the Devi Gita and the Chandi Path more than once. The subsequent re-reads were me trying to see if I could learn something I might have missed the first time.

I haven't read commentaries on either, other than just the translators' notes. That's mostly because commentaries in English are not the easiest things to come by, and I don't speak any other languages well enough to try to read sophisticated philosophical treatises in them.

amorphous_constellation

I don't know, but the most moving thing I read last year, would have to be meditations by marcus aurelius. I know that the text has kind of made its way into modern pop culture, but it still is actually really good. And in that text, there really is a strong sense of western spirituality, before christianity. Be disciplined before with will of the all-weaving Logos. I will read it again, but there is so much other stuff I want to read

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
How many times have you read it, if more than once? And if more than once, why the reread?
Read it through once or twice, mostly just as reading along the Poetic Edda, from which the Hávamál is included. I reference it every now and again, with a stanza that's relevant, but really as nothing more than offering advice or guidance. Certainly not a "The Gods Said".

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I start with the dictionary, and study what all the important words mean, and what they mean to me, and how they mean to me, and why. Then I look at the history of the words that mean to me. Then I let my religion become what it will be based on my convictions, and beliefs from observing nature and its life. No greater voice to listen to but the voices of those I love and my own, and to language itself.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

The Kitáb-i-Aqdas (Arabic: The Most Holy Book) is the central religious text of the Baháʼí Faith, written by Baháʼu'lláh, the founder of the religion, in 1873.

Kitáb-i-Aqdas - Wikipedia

It was first published in English in 1992. I have read only parts of it, not all of it.
I never even had a copy until recently, when a Baha'i in my community gifted it to my late husband.
The parts I have read were online, in the Baha'i Reference Library.

PearlSeeker

When I was a Christian I have once read all the books of the (Catholic) Bible in a row as they are arranged.

I haven't read the whole thing more than once with the exception of NT books. One of the reasons is that Jesus Christ is regarded central and the culmination of all divine revelation.

Occasionally I have read the commentary (the one included in the book) because it's useful to know some historical and cultural background.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
As a Stoic, there are many texts, but I would consider "On Passion" by Chrysippus to be the primary and most important one, maybe next to Zeno's "Republic."

Both texts are lost. However, portions of "On Passion" can be reconstructed through commentaries on it, enough that we can gain a decent enough approximation of what the original book covered.

Chrysippus was the student of Zeno of Citium, the latter of which is the founder of Stoicism. While this makes Zeno to humans what Surak is to Vulcans, most of Zeno's works have not survived and it was Chrysippus who defended them and helped Stoicism grow and continue after Zeno's passing. In my opinion, he might be the most important figure in Stoicism.

I have read quite a bit of commentaries on this text, including debates regarding the ideas it presents. I have also read later Stoics such as Seneca, Epictetus, Musonius Rufus, and Marcus Aurelius and how they interpreted Chrysippus, but if I'm being honest I think a lot of these later Stoics missed the mark, although I think they're still worth reading.

Chrysippus is important because he represents the point in early Stoicism when it was still closely entangled with Cynicism, because this is what Stoicism originally was. At the risk of oversimplifying, Stoicism originated as an internalized and mature form of Cynicism. What set it apart was its focus on dispassion, which is what "On Passion" covers in detail. That's the other major reason that I see it as so central to the philosophy, and the ideas within it remained in ancient Stoicism until its extinction.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Kemeticism isn't a scriptural religion but I'd go with the Book of the Going Forth By Day first, then the Amduat and finally the Book of Gates, as that is their historical order and all are reliant ultimately on the Pyramid Texts and Coffin Texts, neither of which were ever turned into scrolls, but individual spells from these texts were incorporated into the Books of the Dead.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I have read most of the gospels*, i.e. the core of the NT, but I've always found St Paul's epistles tend to be rather convoluted and unclear, so not something I read for pleasure. I am exposed to a wide variety of readings from the OT, readings from St Paul and the gospels every week at mass. These are usually followed by a commentary from the priest in his homily, often picking up themes that are common across the readings for the day. In fact I am one of the readers at church so, when I am on duty, I have to read through the passages carefully to make sure I put the stresses and pauses in the right place, to bring them to life and give them meaning.

But that's enough for me. I don't read the bible in my spare time.

* I've even had to sing the passion in St John's gospel to the congregation, on Good Friday. But that's stopped, now that we no longer have a priest with a bass voice to sing the part of Christ.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have read most of the gospels, i.e. the core of the NT, but I've always found St Paul's epistles tend to be rather convoluted and unclear, so not something I read for pleasure. I am exposed to a wide variety of readings from the OT, readings from St Paul and the gospels every week at mass. These are usually followed by a commentary from the priest in his homily, often picking up themes that are common across the readings for the day. In fact I am one of the readers at church so, when I am on duty, I have to read through the passages carefully to make sure I put the stresses and pauses in the right place, to bring them to life and give them meaning.

But that's enough for me. I don't read the bible in my spare time.
I like James a lot.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Part of it; it's very hard to take in at once, despite being short texts.

I read certain bits over and over again. I like the theological depth, the prayers, the hymns, the imagery etc.

Yes, many are helpful to understand the text and some are intended to use the texts meditatively.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I like James a lot.
I like St John's gospel best. It has some lovely, thought-provoking and mysterious theology in it - the prologue is magnificent - and my favourite story of all, about the woman taken in adultery. (Though I always find myself thinking, "Erm, what about the man?")

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

The principle scripture of Judaism is the Torah, but it is important to also understand that the Oral Torah is what helps us interpret the Torah -- you can't really be "just Torah."

The Torah is the first five books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. They are also referred to as the Penteteuch, the Books of Law, and the Books of Moses.

Jewish synagogues go through the entire Torah once a year, so if you attend and pay attention, you become very well versed. Most synagogues also have Torah studies which go into greater depth learning about each week's Torah portion. These Torah studies usually incorporate what the Talmud has to say on it, and other commentaries.