• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your personal struggle to live by the teachings of your faith

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Well, I have something to share and I'm hoping to have your support. I'd love it if you all would share what you're doing as well, so we can support each other.

Right now I am smoking what I am determined will be my last cigarette. And I'm also sipping what I am going to make sure is my last vodka on ice. As hard as it's going to be, I'm quitting smoking and drinking today - completely.

I've cut back on drinking over the last several years, I used to have drinks with every meal (even breakfast) and a few more throughout the day besides but I've cut it down now to about one every few days - and now I think I'm finally ready to cut alcohol out of my life entirely. It's going to be hard - Bosnian culture is a very hard one for those who don't eat meat or drink alcohol - you're likely to die of starvation or thirst before any other options present themselves, hahaha.

Smoking I've not cut back at all, I still smoke a pack a day... I think that's going to be the hardest but I can do anything if, by not doing, I dishonor my word - so that's what this thread is for me.

And there we go... I've thrown the remaining four cigarettes in my pack, and two flasks of vodka (one full) away... I think it's important to do that because if I just finish "what I have", it'll never stop.

I'll update my progress whenever I need to scream. :D lol Wish me luck!

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
beckysoup61 said:
Good luck Mila!

You can do it!

Well, so far so good. :D It's been a few minutes... hahaha!

I'm going to go break my ashtrays and favorite drinking glass.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Djamila said:
I'll update my progress whenever I need to scream. :D lol Wish me luck!
I'm so happy to hear that, Mila! I understand that quitting smoking can be one of the most difficult things a person can do in his life. If you can accomplish this goal -- and I have every confidence that you can -- your life will be longer and healthier. You'll be in my thoughts as you work to overcome this addition. If you feel the need to scream, go right ahead. Just don't give in to the cigarettes, whatever you do.

I am confused about one thing, though. How does this commitment relate to the title of this thread? I know that Muslims aren't supposed to drink, but there is no prohibition against smoking, is there?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Katzpur said:
I'm so happy to hear that, Mila! I understand that quitting smoking can be one of the most difficult things a person can do in his life. If you can accomplish this goal -- and I have every confidence that you can -- your life will be longer and healthier. You'll be in my thoughts as you work to overcome this addition. If you feel the need to scream, go right ahead. Just don't give in to the cigarettes, whatever you do.

I am confused about one thing, though. How does this commitment relate to the title of this thread? I know that Muslims aren't supposed to drink, but there is no prohibition against smoking, is there?

Not specifically - however we are commanded to respect the bodies God gave us and not to damage them. This is sometimes used to ridicule tattoos or body piercings and that sort of thing, which I have no real opinion on, but I think smoking very clearly contradicts this command... so I do consider it a benefit to my personal faith to quit smoking, regardless of what some scholars or others would say. Regardless, none would say, "Make sure you keep smoking!" - hahaha.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Yugo said:
What made you deside to to make this suddon change?

Feeling guilty, instead of having a good time, when drinking with my friends. And the day before yesterday I was chewing a cookie and just investigating the house, snooping around to see what I'd cleaned and didn't clean, that sort of thing. I went into the bathroom and just coughed - suddenly, for no reason, and it was a strong cough I couldn't control. Just one big cough - and I blew chewed cookie all over my shower door.

And I saw this interview with a woman from America, I forget her name - an African American woman. She's apparently very respected, judging by the introduction and audience response she got on Oprah's talk show. She said she quit smoking not for the person she was, when she was my age, but to protect the person she wanted to become - the person she is now. That stayed in my heart for some reason.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well Mila, I am 13 days ahead of you on the non-smoking thingy. I have now stood at the check out desk three times, fully intending to buy some cigarettes, but managed to resist on each occaision. I only need to remember that I will only want a smoke for about 3-5 minutes... and then I am good for awhile. SO, I am playing this game with myself and refuse to say the "Q__T" word and am merely deferring my next cigarette purchase indefinately, lol. Maybe in a couple of years I will say I "Q__T", then again, I have smoked for 6 more years than you have been alive, lol. Good Luck, Mila. The booze will be nothing. Hope your hubby is ready for a crazy lady at times. :) Well... crazier than normal, at least... :flirt:

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm an alcoholic who smoked 2 packs a day for twenty years, and I managed finally to quit both. So it can be done.

The only advice I can offer from my own experience is don't negociate with yourself. Each time the thought of drinking or smoking comes into your mind, and at first this will be about every 10 seconds, tell yourself that the decision has been made, the course has already be taken, and there is no re-deciding. All that's left to you now, is the suffering. And you will suffer for a litle while. But not that long (it only seems like an eternity, I promise!).

I haven't had a drink in 14 years, or a cigarette in 12. And I don't miss them, or think about them, or anything. I'm totally grateful to be rid of both in my life.

Don't look back. The CHANGE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED. Now you just learn how to grow into it.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
PureX said:
Don't look back. The CHANGE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED. Now you just learn how to grow into it.

That's really very helpful. :) I'm so glad I started this thread, I can picture myself already in a hard moment coming back and re-reading these posts.

As for the suffering through things, I'm very good at that. There have been many times in my life that I've been able to consciously see the path my emotions would have to take, even though I was powerless to stop that path - like the next body from the war they identify of my family. I know exactly what those few months following the news are going to feel like, and I know I'll be happy and fine after, but I just can't skip it and go straight to happy and fine. Comparing it to that has really helped me more than you know, PureX. It's a very empowering mental stucture for this that I didn't have before your post. :) Xox

Yugo

Djamila said:
Feeling guilty, instead of having a good time, when drinking with my friends. And the day before yesterday I was chewing a cookie and just investigating the house, snooping around to see what I'd cleaned and didn't clean, that sort of thing. I went into the bathroom and just coughed - suddenly, for no reason, and it was a strong cough I couldn't control. Just one big cough - and I blew chewed cookie all over my shower door.

And I saw this interview with a woman from America, I forget her name - an African American woman. She's apparently very respected, judging by the introduction and audience response she got on Oprah's talk show. She said she quit smoking not for the person she was, when she was my age, but to protect the person she wanted to become - the person she is now. That stayed in my heart for some reason.

Well I am happy you are making this decision then! It is hard to actually enact what you want to accomplish.. It seems like everyone knows the answers, but noone knows how to get there. This is the same as all other addictions I supose, over-eating, drugs etc. And you actually drank alcohal for breakfast?! Mila you have a problem. LOL

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I have never smoked tobacco, so I can't relate. I don't see drinking as against my religion, so that has never been a problem for me. However, this HAS been my year to stop gluttony and so far it's been GREAT. I have lost a few pounds, but more importantly, with the excersize I am doing (personal trainer) I have lost almost four inches on my waist. Yesterday I did 25.4 miles on my bike and was still able to install a double pane window in my son's room. My diet is FAR healthier (and leaner) than it was at the beginning of the year. I am excited.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a very strange (especially for an american) concept to understand that we need to go through our suffering, and not skip past it. Many folks I know who have experience real and terrible suffering in their lives will also say that it was what made them who they are, and that they would not be who they are had they been somehow able to skip the suffering.

When I quit smoking, I remember that it was really hard, and my mind drove me absolutely crazy with constantly thinking of smoking. But one day early in the process, I remembered some years back when I had broken my arm, in the summer, living in Virginia, where it's very hot. It was a horrible experience having to wear a cast for 8 weeks in that weather. My arm itched terrible and constant. It really drove me crazy!

Yet I got through it. And after the 8 weeks the cast came off, and my arm was fine. And for some reason remembering this helped me a lot to put up with the constant desire to smoke (just like the constant desire to rip off that damn cast on my arm, years earlier) those first weeks of not smoking.

And as odd as it sounds. Sometimes suffering can be interesting. I have managed to deal with intense physical pain (kidney stones) on occasion in my life by actually focussing on it ... studying it, examining exactly how it felt, etc.

We humans can handle a lot more than we think we can.

lunamoth

Will to love
Prayers for strength headed your way Mila...I like what Purex said, that the change already has happened. I gave up alcohol eight years ago and just as that woman on Ophrah said, it is for the me of now and the future. Observing the drinking patterns of many of the women in my family, I made the right decision. I knew I was heading for trouble and yes we really can see the early warning signs in our life and need to pay attention to those. I also was greatly helped by turning to God at the same time, if that does not sound too strange to your ears.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Thanks guys - and congratulations to you all as well! :D Maybe someday I'll get to tell some poor woman how I quit smoking and drinking too. :D Hahaha.

love

tri-polar optimist
I know I am in the Islam forum but I felt the phrase "not to protect the person I am but the person I hope to become" is one of the most intelligent things I have ever heard. I hope you the best Djamila.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
love said:
I know I am in the Islam forum but I felt the phrase "not to protect the person I am but the person I hope to become" is one of the most intelligent things I have ever heard. I hope you the best Djamila.

I thought the same thing! It just... makes sense? I don't care about smoking now, not so much... but what about when I'm 40 and I have maybe a bigger family or a better career or something... and to look back and wish I quit then.

I also use moisturizer for the same reason. LOL I don't need it, but you know... I want my 40 year old self to look back and say, "Wow, I look the same now as I did when I was 25." - or I want to them to say, "Oy... at least I tried." LOL

love

tri-polar optimist
Always believe in tomorrow but know it is not too far away. I am 54 years old and can only wish I could do the things I could when I was 25. You still have the mind that feels 25 but your body knows it's 54. But a body that has smoked for 35 years probably feels like a body that has smoked for 35 years. Smoking should definitely be your priority but drinking and smoking are like "peas and cornbread".

reina

Mila, just wanted to wish you good luck;)! Just like you said, you want it and you can't imagine yourself like that in some 40-is, so, whenever you feel proud for that desicion, just try to keep that feeling, and whenever you feel temptation remember it, and say to yourself 'I have strong caracter'. I read once this great sentence: 'I learned it takes a time to become a person who I want to be'. So, Mila, you know who you want to be, just go on your way!!! :)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I stopped drinking awhile back, also eating meat….

Alcohol = Leave water 3 years or more; would you drink water out of fish tank?
Leave a stack of potatoes a year or more then eat one = vodka.
Pigs used to eat hops and the waste left to ferment = Larger

Alcohol is the foaming cup in God's right hand, it is a trap laid for all nations, Christ sits at the right hand, and informed all whom follow, they must NOT DRINK.
Bible is tampered within on that point, as he asked at the last super not to drink.

In brave-new world by Adolph Huxley, they give the children alcohol to suppress them, to do lower jobs and not to think.

Don’t saying stopping, our spirit naturally rebels if we try and directly stop it….learn to adapt it’s easier.