• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Motivation

the golden rule

• for life after death?

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • for life here and now only

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Do unto others as you would have it done unto you
most of us abide accordingly

they who have intention toward the next life.....will continue
they who make denial of spirit ....will not

but for now we seem the same

but are we?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Actually, I don't. It could save a ton of money if I do a "you pierce me, I pierce you" type of thing, but just because I'd like that doesn't mean others would. Such an approach has many shortcomings, loopholes, and invites the justification of a murderous psychopath.
but are we?
More or less. We're a bit different, but other than that, to an alien race asides from race and gender markers we'd all look about the same.
And your basis for this claim? Can it not be said this is the view of someone seeking comfort?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

but are we?

Well, "life in present" holds more presure on the person. Say, John, his responsibities would be in direct and indirect rationship with his immediate actions. He has more resposibility in handling consequences. Depending on the religion, this could make him a sharp thinker, observant, or more aware of life.

"Life in the future" gives Jane less responsibility. Its like a credit card. You have the full amount balance due. Because of faith, you make your monthly payments. You know life isnt perfect, so you let that justify why you have interest, but you never pay the full bill thinking if you paid more than what is asked of you, youd feel guilty for "being recipical" to the giver.

Life after death: Credit Card. "Ah, dont worry (depending on the faith) the balance will clear as my interest gets lower the more I have faith in having better credit.

Life at present: "I put the same money in cash aside that I spend on my card. So each 1st, I build my credit, pay off my card, and still can "borrow" money that I know will not be mine to own.

Its nice to have a life after death but reality, if you had no religion, no books, just you...by your senses, how can you tell there is life after your death?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and perhaps....I should point out
life after death might not be a choice we make

Hitler may have rose from his body
and .......

Curious George

Veteran Member

but are we?
Ooh, a tricky one. I choose for life after death, not my life after my death but for others' lives after my death. Since i do not think that is what you meant, i abstained from actually voting.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so far it appears......participants apply the golden rule to this life only

I now have a new thread coming up

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

but are we?

Neither its not that simple a question. I have both self wants but also wants for others (family and friends). A simple thing like gardening makes me need things most people couldn't care about. Life is a compromise of wants, needs and desires for Me, My family and the others that help me get what I need to survive.

Unless you live in the woods with your own live stock and garden daily and are medically trained, you need the assistance of others and thereby need to compromise with them.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Ooh, a tricky one. I choose for life after death, not my life after my death but for others' lives after my death. Since i do not think that is what you meant, i abstained from actually voting.
I was going to abstain as well, but I finally decided on "this life" because what happens after I die is irrelevant to the outcomes I force upon my survivors, who I can affect in THIS life.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Will not what?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
He's literally saying that people who agree with his views will go to heaven, and those who don't, will be left behind.

It's a kind-of-threat.
no it isn't

I see this as cause and effect

and I'm not the Guy that set all of this in motion

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Come on. Is there anything to debate there?

I have no respect for Pascal's Wager. And why should anyone?

It is a cute joke, albeit perhaps a bit on the nasty side as it ridicularizes blind theism.

That is literally all that it is good for.
I believe motivation is serious

if you are resigned to the grave.....
then doing unto others as you would have it done unto you
is polite
and it goes no further than your last breath

good for you?

the rest of us would like to carry on......forever
good for us