• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most prized possession

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
My relationships with family, friends and my various pets.
Next, my skills.

As far as material objects, hmmm, maybe the accumulated data on my laptop, and some old photos. I love my old Martin guitar, I have a full-sized 6" thick Go board, a few things like that, but to me "stuff" is replaceable.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My kids, my hubby, my cats are not possessions but most important to me

I love our house but that is ours, not mine

For me it must be a 2000 year old roman clay oil lamp, .not much to look at until you examine closely. The makers thumb print is fired into the handle like a signature through time.

Or my dads 67 epiphone rivoli bass means most, can't play a note but it looks so good.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It would take forever. I am far too busy and lazy to do that for 18 diaries and countless stories.

Hey Rival, not sure how your financial situation is, but if you take them into a corner printing store they might do it for you (at a cost).
Or pay a high school kid if you know one.

Dunno...just seems so risky to only have a single copy.
I've lost notes for stories, and that was bad enough (everything else I keep electronically).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
My dog. I don't think of him as a possession, but technically he is I guess.
Everything else I own is replaceable.

The other thing which is more loosely a 'possession' which I value is my mind.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey Rival, not sure how your financial situation is, but if you take them into a corner printing store they might do it for you (at a cost).
Or pay a high school kid if you know one.
It's an idea, but there's no way I'm trusting strangers with my diaries until I'm in the ground! There's far too much in there that could lead to some really bad consequences if read by others. I'm not taking that risk.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
It's an idea, but there's no way I'm trusting strangers with my diaries until I'm in the ground! There's far too much in there that could lead to some really bad consequences if read by others. I'm not taking that risk.
Mwahahahaha! Now that I know that, I'm going to find them and leak them to the world! Think of me like Snowden, but significantly less important. It can't be that hard to search all of Mondas, can it?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you have a most prized possession?

While I have possessions and while nearly all of them are the fruit of my labor, I don't think I'd consider any of them "prized" which is to say, there is really nothing I'm so attached to that I couldn't live without.

I could easily live somewhere free of my possessions and just be.

Earthling

David Henson
I have a cardboard moving box filled to the brim with Dungeons and Dragons stuff. All the books from 3rd edition onward. 1st and 2nd are so rare nowadays that I keep them secret, and keep them safe. ;)There's also a collection of about 20 years worth of characters and campaign materials. I keep a backup of the player's characters, too. Good times. :)

I once heard, on an internet forum not unlike this one, which is as reliable as hearing something in the county jail, that Dungeons And Dragons was created by two Jehovah's Witnesses. I was never able to corroborate that information. Do you know?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My body is my most prized possession. After almost losing it, you start to appreciate it somewhat. ;)

Strangely enough, I have no real attachment to that either (mine that is; I certainly don't have any attachment to yours :p).

Spiderman

Veteran Member
While I have possessions and while nearly all of them are the fruit of my labor, I don't think I'd consider any of them "prized" which is to say, there is really nothing I'm so attached to that I couldn't live without.

I could easily live somewhere free of my possessions and just be.
I wish there were more Christians who are detached like that

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I once heard, on an internet forum not unlike this one, which is as reliable as hearing something in the county jail, that Dungeons And Dragons was created by two Jehovah's Witnesses. I was never able to corroborate that information. Do you know?
The man normally credited for the largest part in it's creation, Ernest Gary Gygax, was a Jehovah's Witness. Of course, he didn't really follow their doctrines, and its been said that he said that as a inside joke about the religion's cautionary tale about D&D.
I'm not sure about the other guy, Dave Arneson, though.

Earthling

David Henson
The man normally credited for the largest part in it's creation, Ernest Gary Gygax, was a Jehovah's Witness. Of course, he didn't really follow their doctrines, and its been said that he said that as a inside joke about the religion's cautionary tale about D&D.
I'm not sure about the other guy, Dave Arneson, though.

Interesting. Thanks.

From Wikipedia: "Gygax's frustrations at work, and increased prosperity from his generous royalty cheques brought a number of changes to his personal life. He and Mary Jo had been active members of the local Jehovah's Witnesses, but others in the congregation already felt uneasy about Gygax's smoking and drinking; his connection to the "satanic" game of D&D caused enough friction that the Gygaxes finally disassociated themselves from Jehovah's Witnesses." [Witwer, Michael (2015). Empire of the Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 978-1-63286-279-2.]

Earthling

David Henson
My most prized possession is my website, though abandoned since I came here months ago. By extension, it is knowledge, as the site was created to document my accumulation of knowledge. Knowledge in music, art, religion and politics.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Hmmm...I could volunteer?

Jumi

Strangely enough, I have no real attachment to that either (mine that is; I certainly don't have any attachment to yours :p).
For many years I used to go over the limits and ignored it as well. Both in an ascetic and in a somewhat hedonistic sense by not having it follow it's nature. The right balance is being one with your body without vanity or excessive desire, in my opinion.

In a philosophical mindset you shouldn't have too much care for it, but for practical purposes you should treat it like a professional tool you can't afford to lose. People who don't maintain it tend to pay extra later on...

Earthling

David Henson
Do you have a most prized possession?

Mine is a $250 female Goliath birdeater. I've never had a female before and they get quite a bit bigger than the males and cost more. They also live longer, 25 years in captivity.

It is the largest species (and gender) of all spiders. I'm going to save up for a mature male to breed them.

They have 200 or more babies. I only want ten unless I find out how to sell them.

Silly as it sounds, my spiders might be the greatest reason I don't want to use drugs anymore.

Drug abuse got my last collection taken.

I asked today on your profile page why you would want to stay sober. I hope I didn't come off as facetious, I certainly didn't mean it that way. I simply meant, what reasons might you have for wanting to stay sober. I'm still struggling with nicotine because, frankly, I don't want to give it up. I enjoy it. I gave up weed because I couldn't find it anywhere. I had no connections so I had to give it up. I gave up alcohol because I didn't want to do it any more. It wasn't fun anymore. Cigarettes are much more problematic because I don't want to or have to give them up.

Spiders is an odd choice but as good a reason as any.

For me personally, what kind of damage it would do to me had little effect, I'm sorry to say. Which is sad and stupid, but, I think a part of addiction. Well, I take that back. Actually I gave up caffeine because if I went without it for two or more hours I would get debilitating headaches.

Jumi

From Wikipedia: "Gygax's frustrations at work, and increased prosperity from his generous royalty cheques brought a number of changes to his personal life. He and Mary Jo had been active members of the local Jehovah's Witnesses, but others in the congregation already felt uneasy about Gygax's smoking and drinking; his connection to the "satanic" game of D&D caused enough friction that the Gygaxes finally disassociated themselves from Jehovah's Witnesses." [Witwer, Michael (2015). Empire of the Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 978-1-63286-279-2.]
Having had JWs as schoolmates, associates etc I can see how that was a problem. Only on the internet have I learned that there are JWs that are more moderate. My country's JW have a bad reputation at the moment though it probably doesn't bother them.