1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Most Important Biblical Verse

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Lionel Refson, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Lionel Refson

Lionel Refson Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Religion:
    The Golden Thread Deconstructing Abrahamic Religions
    if you could only name one biblical verse, what is the most important one for you and why?
    Mine is
    Genesis 9:6 Whoever sheds the blood of man through man shall his blood be shed, for in the image of God He made man..

Why? because this verse, as spoken by God, makes it clear that all human sin (ie even the worst, that of murder) is to be dealt with by humanity. In the previous verse God makes it clear that there will be a reckoning presumably in the afterlife as God refers to "souls" but Genesis 9:6 is so important because at a stroke it removes any possibility of God punishing our behaviour in this life and in so doing renders as valueless the Abrahamic religions, which were built on stories of God slaying various transgressors.

2. KAT-KAT

KAT-KAT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,113
    Religion:
    Hinduism with some New Age influence
    If a nonChristian who has dabbled in Christianity may post:

Ecclesiastes 1:14

I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,127
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Numbers 23:19 New King James Version (NKJV)
    19 “God is not a man, that He should lie,
    Nor a son of man, that He should repent.
    Has He said, and will He not do?
    Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

• Like Like x 1
  4. BSM1

BSM1 What? Me worry?

Ratings:
    +9,210
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lionel Refson

Lionel Refson Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Religion:
    The Golden Thread Deconstructing Abrahamic Religions
    An excellent choice showing the muddled thinking of later biblical prophets!!. God could create evil/strife if God wishes but why would God do so for humanity that God blessed? To test us? Why would God ever do that as God already knows how things will play out

• Like Like x 1
  6. leov

leov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +849
    Religion:
    Gnostic Christian
    Hosea 6:6
    "For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings."

• Like Like x 1
  7. BSM1

BSM1 What? Me worry?

Ratings:
    +9,210
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian
    After much thought my interpretation of the verse is that there is nothing that is "not God"; therefore all feelings--love, hate, good, evil, etc.-are neutral and man decides what is good and what is bad. Later, I ran across 'Pantheism and Panentheism' which put a name on my belief.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dianaiad

dianaiad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,323
    Religion:
    LDS (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints)
    OK.

These are not all from the Bible. They are, however, from what I accept as scripture, and illustrate what the whole idea is:

(not listed in order of importance, btw...)

Moses 1:39: For behold, this is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

2 Nephi 2:25: Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that thy might have joy.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,but have everlasting life.