• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your midwinter Celebration!

What will you be celebrating this mid-winter? (Multi-options available)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
We all sit around and get happily drunk together between Bushfires, Australian Tradition.
BTW its mid-summer here, you guys have it back to front.

Cheers

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I love Advent and the Christ Mass season. My family will be celebrating the "approaching" birth of Christ each Sunday of Advent, and then of course on Christmas eve and Christmas Day - and up till the Sunday after the Feast of the Epiphany.

We are decorating the house today and will put up the Advent wreath.

We also celebrate Yuletide with the roaring fire and the evergreen filling the house, as well as plenty of "nog."

On a more secular note, we are also having a huge Christmas party next weekend and I can assure you that the tone will be secular rather than religious! It's a great way to show our friends how much we appreciate and enjoy them.

But my favorite part of the entire season is the quiet evenings in front of a huge fire, sipping on eggnog and listening to Christmas arias (or Lou Rawls singing "Baby It's Cold Outside!") and contemplating the twinkling lights on the tree, feeling that connectivity with both the Christian and secular world.

Rain Drops

We all sit around and get happily drunk together between Bushfires, Australian Tradition.
BTW its mid-summer here, you guys have it back to front.

Cheers

Yep, That's why we just call it Christmas. Atheist and Christian alike, it's not such a drama in Australia.

Alceste

Vagabond
A large contingent of my extended family will be going to my grandmother's place. There will be a lot of food and drink and it's possible my grandmother might say grace before Christmas dinner.

My family is a mix of atheists, deists and very liberal Christians with a Buddhist or two thrown into the mix. The United Church theology resembles secular humanism so closely there's hardly any point distinguishing between them, so there's never much Jesus-related stuff at Christmas. It's about being with family for us.

Personally I think of it as winter solstice, which makes me feel united with the rest of humanity (in the Northern hemisphere at least) in an annual celebration that has (probably) been going on since the dawn of agrarian civilization, long before Christianity made its appearance.