• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your midwinter Celebration!

What will you be celebrating this mid-winter? (Multi-options available)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Mankind has been celebrating this time of year since he first realized winter was halfway over.
So, just curious what you will celebrate, and how.
Thanks.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
For myself, it is a secular Yuletide. Although I will wish anyone a Merry Christmas.
We have a family feast of ham or turkey, exchange gifts, put up a tree and lights, and keep the Yule log burning for most of the day. (I just like the atmosphere it creates.)
No religious decorations in our house for the holidays. (Unless you count my singing and dancing St. Nick:icon_lol:)
And, my deepest darkest secret, we listen to Yogi Yorgenson Christmas songs!!:eek:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'll personally be celebrating a secular Christmas/Yule, and I usually end up at church with my wife on Christmas Day, so I checked off "Christian Christmas" as well.

Demonic Kitten

Christmas is a big thing in my family so I will be celebrating the secular Christmas with them. I also checked the Secular Yule as I will be celebrating that on my own.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Secular Christmas??? It makes absolutely no sense that it has so many votes. At all. There are two ways to celebrate Christmas: Those who do it the real way and misguidedly celebrate it as the birthdate of Jesus, and those who give into capitalist scum and tell their children fairy tales of Santa Claus. Obviously, since most of the people here are left-wing atheists/agnostics, it makes no sense that they would support the capitalist system by celebrating "secular Christmas."

I'm voting for None. The winter holidays have been far too corrupted by capitalism to be any fun, especially Christmas. Gah, I HATE Christmas...

PS: You left out the t in Festivus. And Diwali was in October.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Secular Christmas??? It makes absolutely no sense that it has so many votes. At all. There are two ways to celebrate Christmas: Those who do it the real way and misguidedly celebrate it as the birthdate of Jesus, and those who give into capitalist scum and tell their children fairy tales of Santa Claus. Obviously, since most of the people here are left-wing atheists/agnostics, it makes no sense that they would support the capitalist system by celebrating "secular Christmas."

I'm voting for None. The winter holidays have been far too corrupted by capitalism to be any fun, especially Christmas. Gah, I HATE Christmas...
We have a great time celebrating in a secular manner, the giving of gifts, whether store bought or handmade, lifts the heart.
I would send you some of my handmade winter brew, but you can't drink yet;)

PS: You left out the t in Festivus. And Diwali was in October.
Yeah, I know, but it won't let me edit the options....:sorry1:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
For me it'll likely be "Find an Open Coffee Shop with WIFI and Hide Out in RF Day".

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I celebrate Christmas, though it's usually for the family and the sake of nostalgia. The mythology surrounding it doesn't mean much to me.

Yule will be celebrated with friends eating, drinking, with music, games and story-telling 'round the fire. :)

Evee

My family celebrates "Christmas", but it's not religious since everyone in my family is an atheist except for me, and there was never a "Santa Myth" for us, either. My parents didn't want to deal with us if we'd found out that Santa wasn't real. We have a tree, eat good food and see our relatives--although this year it's just my parents, two sisters and my big sis's boyfriend (!!!). Usually it's a real tree, but it's got to be artificial this year since they're either tiny or expensive in Ireland. I'm pretty sure ours is the tackiest tree in history...

I'll also do my own Chanukah thing, but it'll be my first time doing it since I started to believe in G-d. Usually, my ma's mom would come down from Montreal and we'd play dreidel and eat latkes, but I'm aiming for a legit (as far as I can make it) festival this year. Wish me luck!

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think Hanukkah would be better, since it's more days. Most of my family are Christians though, so I just do whatever they do. Christmas is sad because there's so much build-up to the actual day, then it happens, and it's over. I'd rather have a holiday week, where each day we give each other a present (don't they do that in Hanukkah? Give each other presents every day for a certain number of days?) And then maybe at the end of the week we'd have a delicious picnic or something, instead of cramming everything into only one day.

Maybe I should try to convert my family to be Jewish. I don't think I could convince them there is no god, but i might be able to get them to be Jewish instead of Christians.