• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Legacy

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have achieved quite a lot but most of it is quite anonymous. Just about everyone in the world has at sometime been affected by my work in a very small way, but very few people know how or why. And i am pretty sure that work is being superceded on an ongoing basis. So no, I won't be remembered by anyone outside my circle of family and friends.

There are investments in place to ensure our kids are comfortable, that's legacy enough for me.

Hellbound Serpiente

I hope and pray that I'd be remembered as a noble man who did his best for the cause of peace and someone who made the world a better place for every single life God Willing

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I believe that in the next life we will remember the life we had here. That could be a cause of either deep regret or great joy depending on how we used our lives.

It is within our power I believe here and now but once we've crossed over we could find that we cannot return to undo or change anything.

If true and we only get one chance then it puts us all on notice that what we sow here, that will we reap there.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I
I have recently been thinking about Legacy. What it means, and what mine will be that I will eventually leave behind. As we all will leave our mark on this world, but the work to make that mark must occur every day.

Definition of legacy | Dictionary.com

The second definition of legacy here, is the one I am most concerned about: anything handed down from the past, as from an ancestor or predecessor.

This can be positive or negative memories, even a skill, or ideas taught/held (which includes things said on the internet these days.) Just like my grandfather will be remembered for the love he had for his wife, and his great BBQ's; and how my Dad will always be remembered for the sacrifices he made for his family, and always showing us that the key to a good life is a willingness to put in hard work. Or how my Uncle is going to be remembered as the man who built his own business, but thought money could save him from what he was suppressing via alcohol, causing him to be an alcoholic like his father before him. Or how the strongest memory of my Aunt that I have is of the time she ridiculed me at her wedding when I was a child, because "That's not real dancing"; leading to years of self doubt, and an inability to dance in public.

How are you going to be remembered by those you love? How will they carry on your legacy?

I want to be remembered for loving my family dearly, and making sure their needs are met. And to have at least one thing published, be it a book or academic research article. Also, for my love of animals, but this goes without saying among those who know me.

Hávamál
Stanzas:
Cattle die and kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
fair fame of one who has earned.
Cattle die and kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
the doom on each one dead.

I like to differentiate legacy from inheritance. Inheritance is the property or material stuff that can be spent, used or disposed of.

Legacy, for me, is the intangible that you leave behind. Hopefully I leave behind faith, love, good name, integrity of living, making a difference in people's lives etc. Those are intangibles that can be remembered for generations.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My children, I hope will remember and apply the values that I've instilled and use it to make this world better. Most importantly, I hope that they will love and be loved fiercely.

This is beautiful -- and brilliant.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I have many secrets about me, unfortunately in the outside world I'm not the kind of egg that likes to open up. It doesn't bother me if people don't remember my kindness, my absolute adoration of animals, my hard work, or anything like that.

I used to want people to know my life's story after my death, everything I've battled and some of which I'm continuing to battle live addiction and depression and anxiety and delusions and finding myself (a WIP) - it's quite an epic tale I think. But now I know that it's my story and I lived it - nobody else needs to know about it to make it special. Everyone else has their own story to experience.

But I do hope that some day before my death I will finish my four part novel that I've been planning for damn near a decade. I'm finally just beginning the first part (for the fourth time, hopefully this is THE draft I stick with). And that's the only thing that I truly want to be my legacy, anything else is extra.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
My books. I've written about three.

New Gaia, Mune Shinri, and Oracle of Tao.

I'm trying to determine whether to sell on Lulu or Amazon KDP now, but at the moment Amazon seems to be giving me less grief.

Also, in light of all this COVID-19 hysteria (and it is hysteria), I'd like to be able to convince the rest of the world to go outside. Just because my life is a mess and I'm a shut in, the rest of the world shouldn't be too afraid to take any risks.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My books. I've written about three.

New Gaia, Mune Shinri, and Oracle of Tao.

I'm trying to determine whether to sell on Lulu or Amazon KDP now, but at the moment Amazon seems to be giving me less grief.

Also, in light of all this COVID-19 hysteria (and it is hysteria), I'd like to be able to convince the rest of the world to go outside. Just because my life is a mess and I'm a shut in, the rest of the world shouldn't be too afraid to take any risks.

So someone takes your advice, goes out, contracts coronavirus and dies... Is that the legacy you want?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
My concern is that it it is most often the case that one's 'Legacy' determines one;s future choices and decisions.

For example: One;s choice of 'belief system' is most often determined by one's cultural legacy (Sense of belonging and identity). An emotional attachment to one's 'Legacy' negates or greatly reduces one's potential free will consideration of choices outside one's paradigm.

My 'Legacy' is the universal diverse 'Legacy' of the evolving spiritual nature of humanity.