• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your inner self

Just_me_Mike

If your exterior or outward self projects your inner self, then;
If you allow yourself outward or exterior self to control your inner self, you lose your inner self.
How does this sit with you?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't say that one loses the other. It's basically just a feedback loop.

One's outer self reflects one's inner self up to a certain point (as there are things outside of one's control). And then our interpretation of our outer self affects our inner self and the interpretation by others of our outer self also affects our inner self because it determines in part how we are treated.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think of my inner self as sort of a separate entity from my outer self. There are just so many things I think about and imagine that I never share with anyone else.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The relationship is firm, but temporary.

You can't get out of your body.
You're stuck in there.
True for everyone, except maybe Edgar Cayce.

I suspect your physique has a great deal to do with how you deal with yourself and others.
Most bullies tend to be of size...the target is smaller.

I further suspect that death destroys the link, and the person you really are,
will then stand up out of the body.

You will be dealt with as you dealt with others.

Perhaps it is prudent to consider the relationship to your body as
a secondary concern...as the relationship is terminal.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If you allow yourself outward or exterior self to control your inner self, you lose your inner self.
I get the distinct impression that you don't quite grasp the dynamics involved in this. :D

Kerr

When you use the terms "exterior self" and "interior self" you mean who we are to the world and who we are on the inside?

I have hard to seperate the two at the same time as they are different. Basically I try to be myself, but after all the years of building up barriers to keep my own unstable core in check, so that my heart won´t scatter at the slightest touch, it can be hard to know what is really inside there and to know what I actually want and so. In any case I don´t pretend to be someone I am not.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I feel that my exterior self is a partial reflection of my interior self. I can express my happiness, my upset, my confusion via the stuff that's on the outside.

Internally and externally, I have flaws but there's some okay stuff too. :")

I agree with you that if you focus too much on the exterior, you can lose sight of what's on the inside. It's the matters of the heart, mind and spirit that matter most, in my opinion.

joea

Oshoyoi
You must remember, the outer self is not your real face...you have nothing to learn from the outer self. The outer self or a vehicle to house the soul, is only temporary.....your inner self goes with you for the rest of eternity, it is the same face you had in past lives, and for many lives to come.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mike,

Your inner self
It appears you have not been able to communicate your idea properly.
However what has been understood is that you are trying to state that since the outer is a reflection of our inner then surely if we control the outer our inner gets controlled.

Friend kindly understand that most religions have been understood in this fashion and have failed simply because when you *CONTROL* the MIND it gets affected somewhere else.
One can never control. You body needs sex a discharge of semen and you control outwardly the result is it affects you somewhere else likewise for any thing.
Yes simply by being AWARE or bringing CONSCIOUSNESS to it, it slowly drops.
Am feeling like smoking and simply watch the MIND and see eye to eye with the mind on the issue till the mind blinks and only this way can be mind be transcended and all our desires drop off; and this is what *CHIPPING* of the stone by a sculptor is all about. It needs patience, perseverance, stamina, and when the basic desires drop we have even to drop the desire to be enlightened and finally when desirelessness itself sets in, one is no more.

Love & rgds

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Friend Mike,

It appears you have not been able to communicate your idea properly.
However what has been understood is that you are trying to state that since the outer is a reflection of our inner then surely if we control the outer our inner gets controlled.

Friend kindly understand that most religions have been understood in this fashion and have failed simply because when you *CONTROL* the MIND it gets affected somewhere else.
One can never control. You body needs sex a discharge of semen and you control outwardly the result is it affects you somewhere else likewise for any thing.
Yes simply by being AWARE or bringing CONSCIOUSNESS to it, it slowly drops.
Am feeling like smoking and simply watch the MIND and see eye to eye with the mind on the issue till the mind blinks and only this way can be mind be transcended and all our desires drop off; and this is what *CHIPPING* of the stone by a sculptor is all about. It needs patience, perseverance, stamina, and when the basic desires drop we have even to drop the desire to be enlightened and finally when desirelessness itself sets in, one is no more.

Love & rgds

So you're going to apply the chisel until the entire sculpture is dust?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Thief,

So you're going to apply the chisel until the entire sculpture is dust?

No, frankly speaking since understanding that to start with that it is dust even a single stoke of chisel & hammer is not required. But to reach to that understanding??

Love & rgds

blackout

Violet.

Whatever your primary focus is,
inside and/or outside,
that focus will manifest in the whole of your person.

If your focus is superficial nonsence on the outside,
most likely your focus is superficial nonsence on the inside.

If you are austire on the inside,
most likely it is reflected on the outside.

If you are warm and cozy on the outside...
it's a good bet you're warm and cozy inside.

If you value a rich/deep/meaningful asthetic inside
it will most likey show itself on the outside.
In how you do, whatever it is you do.
How you dress,
How you decorate,
How and what you write. Whatever.

We are a Self Reflection,
a Reflection of Self,
inside and out.

Our thoughts, loves, desires and passions become our being,
as we live them "out".
Our actions and physical initiations propel, set or change our momentum.

Inner reflection of the outer is so very important to purpose'full Self Becoming,
remembering all the while that the outer is a picture that points back in.

Outer expression of the inner is very rewarding
when manifested artfully, with in'tent.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That was very nice.

Too bad it doesn't apply to men in suits.
Too bad we can't dress as we please in the work place, in school, in public....

But we will....later on.

What we are on the inside is shielded by our bodies.
You don't know what I think or feel unless I say so.

But when I die....what I really am will stand up from the dust.
Same for you.

And we will be naked.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The outer self is the Universe. There is no escape from it.

The inner self is that personal observation; that point from which the universe observes itself.

Through the dynamic relationship between the subject (inner self) and the rest (the outer self), reality comes into being.

But it's all the same, really. And then, it's not. Kind of like how it's wrong to use conjunctions at the beginnings of sentences, and yet it is so right.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The outer self is the Universe. There is no escape from it.

The inner self is that personal observation; that point from which the universe observes itself.

Through the dynamic relationship between the subject (inner self) and the rest (the outer self), reality comes into being.

But it's all the same, really. And then, it's not. Kind of like how it's wrong to use conjunctions at the beginnings of sentences, and yet it is so right.

But...do you expect to retain any portion of the person (you), reading this?

Just_me_Mike

One of the reasons, I made this thread is to me, I often find the person I am being on the outside doesn't reflect who I am inside. With so much competing for my attention in the outside world, be it, religion, sex, ads, politics, friends, etc... It takes an incredible amount of self control to not be influenced by, and yet still retain some sense of who I was as far back as a young child I can recall.

I am only concerned with genuineness here mind you, in that, sometimes I can not tell if the person I see in the mirror is simply a creation of the collected outside experience, or if something genuine from inside me still exists, or if it ever existed at all.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Like a log drifting in the ocean, it collects different seaweed and bits and pieces, but overall it just drifts and has no control of what it becomes or what it really is.

Now I realize we are not as passive as a log drifting in the ocean, but it is amazing to sometimes catch that feeling of floating in an ocean where you have no sense of control no matter how hard you try to control.

Onkara

Hi Mike
If I understand what you say correctly, then I would say that that which has not changed all my life is consciousness. A sense of "I am". I can add any adjective I wish to "I am" but really they don't have any potential to last and come from outside. For example "I am a Christian/Jew/Sikh" or "I am a builder,butcher,manager". All are subject to change, but the "I am" or consciousness is the base or foundation on which all these arise. That is the only thing genuine which never leaves me or I can never conceal. :)

Just_me_Mike

Hi Mike
If I understand what you say correctly, then I would say that that which has not changed all my life is consciousness. A sense of "I am". I can add any adjective I wish to "I am" but really they don't have any potential to last and come from outside. For example "I am a Christian/Jew/Sikh" or "I am a builder,butcher,manager". All are subject to change, but the "I am" or consciousness is the base or foundation on which all these arise. That is the only thing genuine which never leaves me or I can never conceal. :)
Oh but the embarrassments of who "I am" can be at times... ;)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
One of the reasons, I made this thread is to me, I often find the person I am being on the outside doesn't reflect who I am inside. With so much competing for my attention in the outside world, be it, religion, sex, ads, politics, friends, etc... It takes an incredible amount of self control to not be influenced by, and yet still retain some sense of who I was as far back as a young child I can recall.

I am only concerned with genuineness here mind you, in that, sometimes I can not tell if the person I see in the mirror is simply a creation of the collected outside experience, or if something genuine from inside me still exists, or if it ever existed at all.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Like a log drifting in the ocean, it collects different seaweed and bits and pieces, but overall it just drifts and has no control of what it becomes or what it really is.

Now I realize we are not as passive as a log drifting in the ocean, but it is amazing to sometimes catch that feeling of floating in an ocean where you have no sense of control no matter how hard you try to control.

By simply being a log in an ocean, you are affecting the whole of the ocean. :)

Self is a complicated beast to define. There are so many dimensions to it. Herman Hesse in his Steppenwolf suggested that the self is like an onion: peel away the layers and what are you left with?

It is often interpreted as being left with nothing: the self is an illusion. That's just another way of saying that you are left with everything: the self is the Universe. If I hold out my empty hand, I am offering "no-thing," the undefined.

Aleister Crowley suggested that once we start following our True Will, we cannot fail, for we have the force of the Universe behind us.