• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Given Name

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I hate my given name. I don't identify with it and stopped using it to all intents and purposes a long time ago. I use my middle name but I can't say I like it much better. Both names are too girly sounding; the first one is way too popular and on top of that it's spelled in a less common way; it's not a made-up spelling, just lesser used, so folks are constantly mis-saying it for some reason, even though when I worked at school a 10 year old child rightly pronounced it from reading my name tag and this was a girl who was basically illiterate and had a tonne of trouble reading.

My eldest is not at all girly, but her name is basically unisex, and she seems fine with it.
But we did spell it in a less-common (but not made up) way, and I do worry that will drive her nuts now.

Even worse, with this next baby coming, my wife and I agreed on a girl's name we both like, but we both assumed a different spelling. I'm not sure there is a commonly agreed 'normal' spelling for it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I hate my name. Its Krista. Its an okay name for someone else, but it doesn't fit me.

I met a Krista once. She was energetic, enthusiastic, and feminine. I felt the name belonged to her. I'd have happily let her keep it all to herself.

Me, I'm George!

I had a male friend who was Krister.

Gargovic Malkav

My given name translates as "Joy of victory". I like it.
Some people have trouble memorizing it, calling me by a similar sounding name which is a girl's name. I usually correct them or don't respond when they keep doing it or start calling them by a name that isn't theirs. Sometimes I grudgingly tolerate it when I'm dealing with old people who have trouble remembering things or people who have mental issues.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Aside from my own name, sometimes I am baffled when people mispronounce my son Ares's name...

Really? They say it Our-es...(or closer to Eris). I thought that was a name everyone would know...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I hated my birth names.
My mom's new name/name had I been born physically female, Sara, is ok. The middle name though, no, because it's her middle name. And Im terrible at naming things, lol.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No...
LoL...because I was given that name because I was born on Saint Lucy's day...
Btw my new name means Holy or Saint in Swedish...so...it was destiny:p:innocent::innocent:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do you like your given name? If not, why? If so, what do you like about it?

I hated my given name in grade school and actually asked people to call me by my middle name.

As I grew older, I really like me given name, and I wouldn't trade it for another, except for perhaps Nick or Mark.

How do you feel about your given name?
I dont like my name at all. I was continually bullied over it in the old days. It gave me an affinity for Johnny Cash's , "A boy named Sue" however.

It might have been ok for another time, or another country, but definitely not in the 70s.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I hated my given name in grade school and actually asked people to call me by my middle name.

As I grew older, I really like me given name, and I wouldn't trade it for another, except for perhaps Nick or Mark.

I am happy with my given name, the one problem i have with it comes from (Would you believe) christians, a few of whom have insisted to the point of argument that i should be a believer in christianity with a name like mine.

Hubby on the other hand hates his given name and usually insists on using Paul, his middle name. Interestingly in France the first name is formal and is the one always used, so most french people and all french bureaucracy (there is a lot) insist on using his given name.

Audie

Veteran Member

Min is just right for me. Short !

And anyone can spell it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Aside from my own name, sometimes I am baffled when people mispronounce my son Ares's name...

Really? They say it Our-es...(or closer to Eris). I thought that was a name everyone would know...
I would be saying it as Aries as in the star sign.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

How do you say it?

Many Hindu names get totally mangled in the west. Both my first and last name do, but many of the Tamil folks from south India have rather long names. The longer the name the harder it is to say.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I am happy with my given name, the one problem i have with it comes from (Would you believe) christians, a few of whom have insisted to the point of argument that i should be a believer in christianity with a name like mine.

I remember an incident like that. I was talking with a man named Christian, and someone came up and said that a Krista and Christian talking must be evidence that Christ was active in the place(or something of the sort). Which we then got a chuckle out of. "Yes, Krista the Hindu and Christian the Buddhist."

How do you say it?

Many Hindu names get totally mangled in the west. Both my first and last name do, but many of the Tamil folks from south India have rather long names. The longer the name the harder it is to say.

It would be said like Air-eese(like the ending of Reece's candy)

All my kids' names get mispronounced. LeeAnder=Landers(why the s?) Ares=Eris Yudhishtira(....I can't say that).

I find with the oldest and youngest child, its more of an unwillingness to try to read the name. People scan it, but if it doesn't come to something they're familiar with(like Joe or Laura), they just make an awkward quick utterance, or won't try at all.

The people that actually try to read the names tend to get them correct, or reasonably close.