• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favourite music artists and why?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
These are the three I would struggle to do without or feel I really missed out had they not been brought to my attention (by another for the first two). Some at least might not have come across any of these.

Blowzabella

I love these for their wholesome nature perhaps more than anything else - they are best described as an acoustic country-dance band using a wide range of instruments - such that the musical content tends to shine through and where entertainment comes without any strings attached :rolleyes: - no political messages or such. So the sounds produced will either appeal or not - very much a niche musical interest I would suspect though. I have always been interested in acoustic music, from the past or in modern music, and where virtuosos are common - Segovia, Julian Bream, etc., or the many Jazz virtuosos. And the Irish, or Uilleann, pipes have always been music to my ears - but not to many I think :oops: - as for the hurdy-gurdy. I probably have all their work, which is not that much actually compared to many.

Dead Can Dance

Australian music historian Ian McFarlane described Dead Can Dance's style as "constructed soundscapes of mesmerising grandeur and solemn beauty; African polyrhythms, Gaelic folk, Gregorian chant, Middle Eastern mantras, and art rock."

I just love the variety of music they produce, with influences from all over, and Lisa Gerrard's voice is just so beautiful. I probably have all their work too. Possibly another that one either loves or hates. Timeless.

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band

'Big Shot' by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

Not much needs to be said here. The supreme example of fun in music - and just so musical too. Still as fresh as they were in the 1960s when they formed. Love or hate again? I suppose I have all of their earlier stuff, which is enough for me.

All three are on my random playlist of course, along with all the other favourite artists - and they could be added here I suppose.

Your loves?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have a few top artists that have withstood the test of time.

The Moody Blues

I simply don't count anything prior to "Days of Future Past" due to the lineup change that led to their explosion into the public consciousness in 1967. I still remember the first time I heard "Nights in White Satin" and it sounds as good today as it did way, way back then. The song is now 51 years old for Pete sakes!

Another giant I have loved since hearing him for the first time is

Mike Oldfield

This man has so much talent on so many instruments that it is breathtaking. He is almost single-handedly responsible for the success of Virgin Records, which went on to become the Virgin Group. The main problem that this musical genius encountered was that due to him playing all the instruments in the studio it was quite difficult to reproduce his masterpieces live in front of an audience. This is a rare clip of his performance of Tubular Bells Part One on the BBC.

In later years he did begin to move away from his epic concept of 1 song on 2 sides of a record into smaller pieces and eventually began to include the fantastic Maggie Reilly as his main vocalist.

(Sorry for the abrupt ending. :( )

To top things off, Oldfield was chosen to take part in the London Olympic games opening ceremonies.

I may add more later, but that's a good start.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ani Difranco
Patty Griffin
Archie Roach
Steve Earle
Taj Mahal
Paul Simon

... And many more. I'm into the singer-songwriters.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Pithukuli Murugadas

Murugadas was a Tamil devotional singer, (passed 2015, aged 95) renowned for devotional songs to Lord Murugan, the ancient God of the Tamil people. I never saw him in person, but Boss did. He played and sang for a group pilgrimage in Tamil Nadu she went on in 1981. He wasn't all that complicated, and often would sing the simplest of songs, although I'm sure he could have sung with the best of Carnatic singers. So besides the singing, I admired the humble simplicity. I've been overblissed with the tears of bhakti more than a few times by listening to his simple soulful melodies, and I don't understand Tamil.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Gosh just about any song that's sounds good to me becomes my favorite. :0)

Off the top though here are is a list off the scruff of my head.

OMC - How Bizarre and Land of Plenty

Ramones- Blitzkrieg Bop, I want to be sedated, Pet Sematary, 52 & 3rd (they were great with Rancid), and R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

Laibach - Life Is Life

The Trashmen-. Bird is the word.

Andy Pratt - Avenging Annie. (Excellent versions also sung by Rodger Daltrey and a band called The Raisins)

Rodger Daltrey-. Just about anything the man sings. Most notably Squeeze Box as of late.

Pete Townshend- Let My Love Open the Door. "To your heart"

Book of Love- witchcraft, Miss melancholy, I Touch Roses, oranges and lemons, and Alice everyday.

Go team- get it together

Prince- Raspberry Beret and Boys and Girls

The Traveling Wilburys- end of the line

Linda Ronstadt- each day

Judy Collins - both sides now (written by Joni Mitchell)

Joni Mitchell- Yellow Taxi ( they paved paradise into a parking lot) , free man in Paris, and of course, both sides now.

Simon and Garfunkel -. Sounds of Silence, mrs. Robinson, and Cecilia.

Pink Floyd- Alice's house, Emily plays, squirrels in a closet with a hairbrush, the wall.

The police- every little thing she does is Magic

Rod Stewart- A reason to believe, Maggie May.

The Buggles- Video Killed the Radio Star.

English Beat- save it for later

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons- oh what a night.

Steeleye span- one Misty moisty morning, Thomas the Rhymer

Gary Wright- Dreamweaver

George Baker selection- La Paloma Blanca, Dreamboat and his early song on and on.

Ed Ames- Bon soir dame

Shocking Blue- Venus

Danny Elfman- I forget
(that's actually the title by the way) :0)

Franz tunder -(Barokensemble consort of voices) O Jesu Dulcissime & Esemble Les Timbres...Abendmusik...(Buxtehude & Tunder)

These songs and more played a role in my life and I go back in time every time I hear them. That's what makes him my favorites. Of course the selection won't apply to everybody but was happy to list them.

There's more but I could go on forever. *Grin*

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have a few top artists that have withstood the test of time.

The Moody Blues

I simply don't count anything prior to "Days of Future Past" due to the lineup change that led to their explosion into the public consciousness in 1967. I still remember the first time I heard "Nights in White Satin" and it sounds as good today as it did way, way back then. The song is now 51 years old for Pete sakes!

Another giant I have loved since hearing him for the first time is

Mike Oldfield

This man has so much talent on so many instruments that it is breathtaking. He is almost single-handedly responsible for the success of Virgin Records, which went on to become the Virgin Group. The main problem that this musical genius encountered was that due to him playing all the instruments in the studio it was quite difficult to reproduce his masterpieces live in front of an audience. This is a rare clip of his performance of Tubular Bells Part One on the BBC.

In later years he did begin to move away from his epic concept of 1 song on 2 sides of a record into smaller pieces and eventually began to include the fantastic Maggie Reilly as his main vocalist.

(Sorry for the abrupt ending. :( )

To top things off, Oldfield was chosen to take part in the London Olympic games opening ceremonies.

I may add more later, but that's a good start.

Mike Oldfield - Moonlight Shadow ft. Maggie Reilly

Can't miss an opportunity to post this timeless favourite. :D

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Green Day is my all time favorite band, although Cage the Elephant and the White Stripes are pretty good too. I'm just a fan of punk rock in general. I'll post some links, I guess.
Here is arguably Green Day's most famous song, on the album American Idiot, which is also a pretty good rock opera.

Here's another good song from American Idiot, just to annoy any Fundies. (It's the short version, as it's just the song, and none of the plot from the video.)

Here's some Cage the Elephant:

And here's some White Stripes. If you haven't heard of this song, then where have you been the last 20 years?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Green Day is my all time favorite band, although Cage the Elephant and the White Stripes are pretty good too. I'm just a fan of punk rock in general. I'll post some links, I guess.
Here is arguably Green Day's most famous song, on the album American Idiot, which is also a pretty good rock opera.

Here's another good song from American Idiot, just to annoy any Fundies. (It's the short version, as it's just the song, and none of the plot from the video.)

Here's some Cage the Elephant:

And here's some White Stripes. If you haven't heard of this song, then where have you been the last 20 years?

When Punk was around in the mid-70s I was not that enamoured with most of it, apart from the one's that couldn't be resisted, perhaps because of the anti-Prog Rock element going about - and where I quite liked and still do much Prog Rock - but it was also the time when I was losing any interest in music in general. I like all these though, and perhaps I have been a little unfair on Punk - but probably not for some. :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A few of the very best electric folk groups around years ago:

Fairport Convention

With the voice of the lovely Sandy Denny.

Steeleye Span

Both just as listenable as they ever were. :cool:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Another band I came rather late to actually - The Doors - such a tight group - love them, and Morrison's voice is a bonus. :D