• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favourite ancient quote?

Prima

You know what, I'll make you a deal. I'll learn it if you agree to help, seeing as how I"ll have to learn it out of school somehow...

I have the feeling I'm getting myself into something :D

No*s

Captain Obvious
Prima said:
You know what, I'll make you a deal. I'll learn it if you agree to help, seeing as how I"ll have to learn it out of school somehow...

I have the feeling I'm getting myself into something :D

*In best Bugs Bunny voice* Eeeeh, you could say that :).

If you want to, you can PM about it, and what books you want to read, and from that, I can help you decide on which dialect to study, and likely, pick up some books (if I don't have the book, I can get it :)).

Something to note: I read only Attic, Hellenistic (which includes the Greek in the LXX and NT), and Homeric well. I can write Attic/Hellenistic. My Modern Greek is abysmal, but I can usually muddy through something because they are similar :). If your target is Modern, I'm afraid I won't be able to help you much.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Ceridwen018 said:
People were really wise back in the day. It seems like we don't have any good modern quotes, you know? Maybe that's normal--people probably don't realize wisdom of their own time.
Though I would tend to believe that there were many historical individuals who have had much more time to really ponder life we also have had many modern day contributors to both wisdom and experience.

almifkhar

my favorate one of all time is from william blake and it was written around the american reveloution era. he stated
the man who never alters his opinion is like still water and breeds reptiles of the mind.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Prima said:
I think there are a lot of good modern quotes, but the intelligent ones get swallowed up by the funny ones. And there are a helluva lot of funny ones!
Some times , the funny ones are the intelligent ones . One just have to think about them a little more .... ;)

"Christus swallowie sins into victorie and mort is gone and Devile is asham'd." A obsurce quote I remember somewhere in the 1400s. I like the lettering of it....

no worries

these 2 are my favorite.
" What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
"Worry not that no one knows of you; seek to be worth knowing."
dont no who said it though

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Mine is actually a translation of the world "Eureka!" from the Discworld books, where philosophers are given their own country so that they can not make trouble elsewhere...

"Eureka!" means "Please, can someone find me a towel?"[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find that it is actually the polite version of telling someone they've got body odor!:eek:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it. : William Shakespeare

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it." - Cicero

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ceridwen018 said:
It seems like we don't have any good modern quotes, you know?

Ain't nuthin' in the world
Like a big eyed girl
To make me act so funny
Make me spend my money
Makes me feel real loose
Like a long necked goose!
Duh, duh baby, that's a what I like!
:D :D :D

anders

From the Indian fables of the Pancatantra (written before 300 BCE), freely:

Don't listen to sweet talk from a person, look at the results of actions.

Yerda

Veteran Member
truthseekingsoul said:
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it. : William Shakespeare
Whoops! I beleive it was actually George Bernard Shaw who said this. :eek: