• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favourite “deity.”

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, I know there’s always a little sibling rivalry among us.
But let us all join together as one to extol the virtues of the divine which appeal to us the most. Whether that be Krishna, Shiva or even Indra.
Whatever you like goes. ❤️
I love the nurturing aspect, the patient mother and all forgiving nature of mother Kali.
What are yours?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It varies for me, depends on mood and circumstance. If I need worldly help like finding a new car that will run forever, or getting along with people who are difficult to get along with, it's Ganesha. (I can't seem to get rid of my current car, it's 12 years old, burns no oil, and seems like it'll run for another 12 years.) To see the bigger picture, and just to sit in darshan, sannidhya, for inner reflection, it's Siva. And for more austere stuff, for really deeper insight when heavier challenges arise, it's Murugan. I often do penance, same thing twice ... once to in from Him of the challenge, and ask for intervention, and then secondly, to thank Him for said intervention.

Most commonly ... Ganesha. He's also the most fun.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It varies for me too, depending on my current "cause" or issue or pursuit. When I'm in musical mode, which hasn't been for ages, I draw closer to Maa Saraswati, or she draws closer to me. For my physical fitness pursuits, it's Hanuman. I'm always asking Ganesha to help me get by, to protect me from my own stupidity. But by and large, I think of, and talk most often to Vishnu in his Krishna form.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For me, the understanding of God is at two levels. One is the external ... theism. The other is the internal ... monism. Monistic theism, in other words. For me, it is taking the best of both worlds. At the monism level there are no differences.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone once described it to me as "theologically/philosophically monistic" and "ritualistically/religiously polytheistic". I think that's a pretty good description, for me at least.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
For me, the understanding of God is at two levels. One is the external ... theism. The other is the internal ... monism. Monistic theism, in other words. For me, it is taking the best of both worlds. At the monism level there are no differences.

An interesting distinction, that between looking inwards and outwards. Does "internal" monism here refer to the experience of Atman/Brahman?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Though I am an atheist, I 'know' all Gods and Goddesses of Hinduism. They are my close friends, with me all the time, I talk and have fun with them.
My favs are Lord Rama and Mother Sita, and Lord Siva and Mother Parvati, though I like Krishna also.
I have one problem with Krishna. When I bow to him(*), whom should I consider his (Principal) consort - Radha, Rukmani, Jambavanti, Satyabhama or the lesser known Kalindi, Nagnajiti, Mitravinda, Lakshamana or Bhadra? The first two are strong contenders, though Radha only as the lover.
He puts me in a flux.

(*) To satisfy my theist family people, to confirm with them. If anyone of my grandchildren turns out to be an atheist, that would be his/her choice. They will go through the same process through which I have gone.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
An interesting distinction, that between looking inwards and outwards. Does "internal" monism here refer to the experience of Atman/Brahman?
Yes. Merging as a river into the sea.

Edited ... But this is far more than a philosophical stance, it's an actual mystical 'event'.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, SomeRandom, I am like that. :D

Vinayaka, that is an intellectual event. Puts everything in its right place. One comes to understand his/her own self.
'Brahma Veda, Brhmaiva bhavati' (One who comes to know Brahman, verily becomes Brahman).

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't practice bhakti yoga, so my familiarity with the deities of Hinduism is quite limited, but I do feel a connection to Nataraja (Shiva as the cosmic dancer). I have two Nataraja statues; they are only representation of deity in my home.