• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite translations of the Hávamál!

Aldrnari

It uses the Henry Bellow's Translation (which I think is one of only two actual translations), but I really like my copy of "The Illustrated Hávamál"

Dr. Jackson Crawford's translation is another one, I believe. His cowboy Hávamál is pretty damn cool, if you haven't read it.

Liu

Dr. Jackson Crawford's translation is another one, I believe. His cowboy Hávamál is pretty damn cool, if you haven't read it.
Haven't read his translations yet, but if they are as good as his YT-vids then they should be pretty solid.

But I normally prefer reading stuff in the original, so no favorite translation for me. I must admit, however, that I haven't read the Hávamál in the original yet (and I would only judge translations of it after doing one myself).

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The "Bubba-mál" basically simplifies the verses, and puts them into "common man's terms" of today. You should look at the Illustrated Hávamál, @Liu , as it has the Bellows translation right next to the original Old Norse.

Aldrnari

Aye, I've heard of that one. I'd consider it more of a re-write than a straight translation, though.

True! Though, I'm not sure if you knew, but he also translates the Hávamál in his translation of the poetic Edda as well. The cowboy Hávamál is included at the end as kind of a fun easter egg.

I will have to check out Bubba-mál, however. That seems interesting. :)