• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite Surahs?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Hi good people of the Islam DIR,

I was just wondering if you guys have a favorite Surah from the Qur'an, whether you admire the composition of it, the message in it, or the impact it's had in your spiritual life. Mine is the very short Surah al-Kafiroon and the start of Surah al-Baqarah, but I want to get to know the Qur'an better.

So, what're your favorites? :D

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
Peace be with you, Shiranui117

I have grown to love the Qur'an in its' entirety, so it's an hard ask for me to choose a particular Surah after reading the exegetical data and knowing the historicity and anthropology of its revelation.

But since I'm being asked to share something, I will share with you Sural Al Mulk, The chapter titled The Kingdom:

Beautiful isn't it?

I wish I could also give you the time to give you its exegetes as well, but for the first experience, I want you to follow the cotext and context by yourself.

God bless.

zahra67

I was just wondering if you guys have a favorite Surah from the Qur'an, whether you admire the composition of it, the message in it, or the impact it's had in your spiritual life. Mine is the very short Surah al-Kafiroon and the start of Surah al-Baqarah, but I want to get to know the Qur'an better.

salam and peace be to you.

i love all chapter of quran, because they are revelation of Allah.

but as you asked my favorite chapters which have great impact in my life are: chapter hamd, shura and toor.

i am ready to help you if you want to study about islam.

anyone can contact me in this regard.

Allah bless you all.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
My favorite (and the most important) is Surah Al-Fatihah

"I seek refuge with Allah from the accursed Satan...."

In the name of God, The infinitely compassionate and the most merciful

All praise (and salutations) are due to Allah (The GOD) the Lord of all the worlds,

The most merciful and compassionate,

Master of the Day of Judgement,

Thee do we worship and thine aid do we seek

Show us the straight way

The way on whom thou hast bestowed thy grace

those whose (portion) is not wrath and who

not go astray..

Ameen

This verse is perhaps the heart of Islam, this verse implies the acknowledgment of God as the author of the worlds both this material plane and the hereafter and although I'm an openly agnostic-theist this Surah has drawn me. I guess cause I've gone astray in my life and many times have asked God to put me on the straight path.

Sakeenah

Hi Shir :) ,

There are quite a few chapters I love to read and listen to. These are a couple of them..ArRahmaan, Maryam,Luqman,Muminuun, Baqarah, Ta Ha
I mostly admire the message and the impact it had on my life( spiritually) .
Many of the verses in these chapters are about God's attributes,mercy,kindness,gratitude,the hereafter,patience,reflection on the creation of God.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Bumping this thread because I've been reading my copy of the Quran quite a bit recently and find this thread (could be) helpful (as a non-Muslim)

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
In the name of God the infinitely merciful the compassionate

"And We have already created man and know what his soul whispers to him, and We are closer to him than [his] jugular vein."

Surah 50:16

spyrichuwel

I feel like asking which verses from the Al-Quran are your favourites is like asking a mother, which of your children do you prefer more, although I guess some verses do speak to an individual more than others...

one of the verses which touched me profoundly go along the lines of "He is the Creator and Provider of what they consume, yet they do not worship Him and do they not see how much of an injustice it is?"

Frater Sisyphus

Surah 81 is pretty astounding!:

1. When the sun (with it's spacious light) is folded up.
2. And when the stars shall fall;
3. And when the mountains shall made to pass away;
4. And when the pregnant she-camels shall be neglected;
5. And when the wild beasts shall be gathered together;
6. And when the seas shall become as blazing Fire or shall overflow;
7. And when the souls shall be joined with their bodies;
8. And when the female (infant) buried alive (as the pagan Arabs used to do) shall be questioned.
9. For what sin she was killed?
10. And when the written pages of deeds (good and bad) of every person shall be laid open;
11. And when the heaven shall be stripped off and taken away from its place;
12. And when Hell-fire shall be kindled to fierce ablaze.
13. And when Paradise shall be brought near,
14. (Then) every person will know what he has brought (of good and evil).
15. So verily, I swear by the planets that recede (i.e. disappear during the day and appear during the night).
16. And by the planets that move swiftly and hide themselves,
17. And by the night as it departs;
18. And by the dawn as it brightens;
19. Verily, this is the Word (this Qur'an brought by) a most honourable messenger [Jibrael (Gabriel), from Allah to the Prophet Muhammad.
20. Owner of power, and high rank with (Allah) the Lord of the Throne,
21. Obeyed (by the angels), trustworthy there (in the heavens).
22. And (O people) your companion (Muhammad) is not a madman;
23. And indeed he (Muhammad ) saw him [Jibrael (Gabriel)] in the clear horizon (towards the east).
24. And he (Muhammad) withholds not a knowledge of the unseen.
25. And it (the Qur'an) is not the word of the outcast Shaitan (Satan).
26. Then where are you going?
27. Verily, this (the Qur'an) is no less than a Reminder to (all) the 'Alamin (mankind and jinns).
28. To whomsoever among you who wills to walk straight,
29. And you will not, unless (it be) that Allah wills, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).

(Hard to find a good site to copy it from, cause I read from my physical copy(s) (as I suppose we all would?)

I am coming to love Islam more and more, but I am one that would be considered heretical to the average Muslim. I'm coming to realize the immense problems with the Hadith and how little Islam generally actually has to do with the Quran (word of God/Allah).

There are so many great Surahs in the Quran (as to say, quite a few that speak very deeply to me, compared to other ones). There is a massive pool of knowledge, wisdom and guidance contained within this book and I am starting to grow a great passion for it :)

Frater Sisyphus

To me, practically all the the latter 3rd of the Quran (the shorter Surahs) are absolutely divine, and speak to me with immense power. All Surahs are important of course but some strike as more personally relevant than others, as some are more historical than others etc