• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite Psalm?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What is your favorite Psalm from the book of Psalms?

My favorite is Psalm 18

When I was a Christian, the idea that God almighty would come raining down on my enemies in such an epic fashion filled me with intense energy. The ability to completely obliterate my enemies is connected to my own personal morality.
Also, this Psalm made me feel like I was cradled in God's arms when it describes the salvation offered by Him

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Psalm 18 would scare me sometimes as I have plenty skeletons in my closet and I would fear His judgement and forget His mercy, but your favorite is a nice reminder of His mercy. If God is merciful on sinners, then perhaps I can be merciful on my enemies

exchemist

Veteran Member

My favorite is Psalm 18

When I was a Christian, the idea that God almighty would come raining down on my enemies in such an epic fashion filled me with intense energy. The ability to completely obliterate my enemies is connected to my own personal morality.
Also, this Psalm made me feel like I was cradled in God's arms when it describes the salvation offered by Him
This one:

We used to sing it in the abbey at school and I’ve always found the words appealing.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Psalm 18. Its just awesome. I love how… draconic… God’s wrath has been portrayed:

6 In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.

7 Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth.

8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.

9 He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.

10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind.

11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.

12 At the brightness that was before him his thick clouds passed, hail stones and coals of fire.

13 The Lord also thundered in the heavens, and the Highest gave his voice; hail stones and coals of fire.

75AE925D-419C-4B85-BEBD-C9FBB64F2D23.jpeg

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I dont have one anymore. Back when i was a Christian? Psalm 22. I thought it was a prophecy for Jesus cuz of things i was told by other christians

Audie

Veteran Member

My favorite is Psalm 18

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that Psalm 92 is my favorite, as this is one of the Psalms we sing in Hebrew for Kabbalat Shabbat (Friday evening services that welcome the coming of Shabbat): Mizmor shir l'yom ha-Shabbat (A Song for Shabbat).

Below is a video that sort of gives an idea of the tune that we sing to, but both Conservative Jews (that's the congregation I belong to) and Orthodox Jews don't use musical instruments at Shabbat services. Reform Jews, on the other hand, permit the use of musical instruments on Shabbat. What we lack in musical instruments, though, we more than make up for in harmonious voice and joyous enthusiasm. :)

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I'm not sure but I thought of these ones:

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.

Psalm 18

And psalm 42: this in particular:
Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers
have swept over me.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to rate them by how mysterious they are. I have very little idea about what they sound like. Most of them seem at first very similar. There's no music and they keep using the word 'LORD' all the time. The names are merely numbers, so that doesn't help. Call out into any crowd "What is Psalm 88?" Nobody will know the answer unless they are a super geek that memorizes psalms for fun.

Psalm 88, by-the-way, is written by a group called the Sons of Korah who have a unique story. They are the descendants supposedly of the man who once was swallowed alive for some kind of rebellion. They, having seen how Korah was swallowed by the ground, became some of the most faithful servants of the temple even staying faithful in times when most people were slacking off. Actually I am lying about this. They aren't the descendants of Korah. Whoever is singing the song is a son of Korah. That is they are singing it as a son of Korah. When you sing it or read it, you're supposed to think of how you narrowly escaped being swallowed up. You become Korah's son. If you had been there with your dad in his rebellion you would have perished, but you stayed faithful. You were kept alive.

Here is verse five:
"I am set apart with the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom you remember no more, who are cut off from your care."​
Its similar to the prayer of Jonah from within the fish, isn't it?
[Jon 2:3 NIV] 3 "You hurled me into the depths, into the very heart of the seas, and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers swept over me."
Psalm 88 also has similarities with lines from Job:
[Psa 88:8 NIV] "You have taken from me my closest friends and have made me repulsive to them. I am confined and cannot escape;"​

Finally the Son of Korah is not merely talking about being saved. They are talking about having to give up the relationship they had. This is psalm about times when you have to walk away from unhealthy friendships or have to be at odds with the people around you. It is in this moment that you are a son of Korah. The last verse is:
"You have taken from me friend and neighbor— darkness is my closest friend."​
Wow! Where is the happy ending?

InChrist

Free4ever

My favorite is Psalm 18

I love Psalm 23, but also...
Psalm 96 and 98.