• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite protest music

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Protest music, or political music in general, can come in many different forms and genres. I liked the protest music of the 60s and 70s, as it ranged from the sappy, soft stuff, while some of it was harder rock. And some had more of a country sound to it. So, what are your favorite protest or political songs? Right-wing, left-wing, and everything in between.

Just to get us started in a protest music mood, here's a couple of examples.

Is there one particular song which sums up your political beliefs?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I don't think any one song, sums up all of my political beliefs. Not that I've found at least.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This song (if I recall correctly) was about Nixon, although the title of "21st Century Schizoid Man" might even make it somewhat prophetic in a way.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Somewhat related to the topic, I just came across this article. Apparently, there are some conservatives boycotting Rage Against The Machine because they just found out their music was left-wing.

Right-wing fans mocked for boycotting Rage Against the Machine after realising band’s political stance

Rage Against the Machine’s music has always had a left-wing bent, with much of their lyrics targeting corporate America, cultural imperialism and government oppression.

But a number of right-wing conservative fans have only just realised the radical undercurrent of their music.

One Twitter user addressed the rock band: “I use to be a fan until your political opinions come out. Music is my sanctuary and the last thing I want to hear is political b******t when i’m listening to music.

Apparently, this has become a source of amusement for some.

Band member Tom Morello responded: “Scott!! What music of mine were you a fan of that DIDN’T contain “political BS”? I need to know so I can delete it from the catalog”.

One fan wrote: “The people angrily denouncing Rage Against the Machine for Tom Morello's leftist politics is one of the more hilarious things I have ever seen on the internet. WHAT MACHINE DID YOU THINK THEY HAVE BEEN RAGING AGAINST FOR DECADES? THE ICE CREAM MACHINE? THE ATM? LAWNMOWERS?”

Another agreed: “What “Machine” did you think he was raging against? The dishwasher?”

“Please rage WITH the machine!” joked someone else.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think I was about 8 or 9 when I first saw this movie. Quite inspiring from a kid's point of view, although I guess it's a bit aged now.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Im weird.

I always fantasize about having a massive contingent of Bag Piper's Marching right through a riot.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Being of a certain generation, it could be so many of Bob Dylan's, from my first hearing him at the London Royal Albert Hall in 1965 and then rushing to buy his first five or six albums - so impressed was I: