• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your family in Hell whilst you're in Heaven?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
With Shabbat fast approaching, I would simply note, at the moment, that I said nothing about an afterlife in my response to Eddi. Are you asking me a question in general or based upon my response?

I will look at your response after Shabbat is over.

Thank you....if you would rather, I can post it in the Judaism DIR.
I am genuinely interested in the answer for my own research.

This thread is about the afterlife.

nPeace

Veteran Member
But wouldn't giving one member of a family eternal life and snuffing out the other family members (on account of their disbelief) be hard on the saved family member, as it would mean eternal life separated from their loved ones? Living forever, but never seeing them again and knowing they are no more?

That sounds pretty harsh to me...
So are you saying that if your brother, or sister or mother, or father, or aunt, or uncle, or son, or daughter, were to murder someone, or rape and torture to death someone, you don't think the law should give them life in prison, or the death penalty, if it is law?
I hope that's not what you are saying, because that seems pretty unjust, and callous to me. It even seems selfish, as though the person is only interested in self, and what they want.
Some people, cry out for their family members to be pardoned from just punishment, while calling for the same punishment, for someone unrelated, but isn't that partiality?
The Bible does not present God as unfair, and unjust. Nor is he partial.
(Romans 2:6-11) 6 And he will render to each one according to his works: 7 everlasting life to those who are seeking glory and honor and incorruptibleness by endurance in work that is good; 8 however, for those who are contentious and who disobey the truth but obey unrighteousness there will be wrath and anger, 9 tribulation and distress, upon the soul of every man who works what is injurious, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; 10 but glory and honor and peace for everyone who works what is good, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 11For there is no partiality with God.

I prefer a person who does what is right and just, without partiality, and who does not accept bribes. Don't you?
If anyone - family member, or not - does something deserving of death, whether by man's law, or God's, the particular authority can take them. For I believe in what is fair, just, and right.
If I am the guilty one, then punish me, according to the due punishment.
If I unrepentantly sin against God, I deserve death.
Even now, I don't deserve life, but by God's grace, I live, and have the opportunity to receive the gift of everlasting life.
That's what it is, isn't it - a gift.
The wages of sin is death. Should we not be grateful that, God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
Do you believe an ungrateful person deserves God's gift?
Would you give a free home to people who don't care about you, and disrespect you, and do the most disgusting things?
Not I.

(Hebrews 10:26-31) 26 For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, 27 but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and a burning indignation that is going to consume those in opposition. 28 Anyone who has disregarded the Law of Moses dies without compassion on the testimony of two or three. 29 How much greater punishment do you think a person will deserve who has trampled on the Son of God and who has regarded as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and who has outraged the spirit of undeserved kindness with contempt? 30 For we know the One who said: “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again: “Jehovah will judge his people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

epronovost

So are you saying that if your brother, or sister or mother, or father, or aunt, or uncle, or son, or daughter, were to murder someone, or rape and torture to death someone, you don't think the law should give them life in prison, or the death penalty, if it is law?

I, like the family of the OP, am not a believer despite having read the Bible and lived a culturaly Christian country. I was baptised as an infant, but renounced it as an adult. Am I, and the family of the OP, going to hell even though we have not caused serious harm to other people in our lives?

sam swift

Christ-man
(I’m writing this post from a Christian perspective…)

So… I believe in God and accept Christ as my Lord and Saviour and have been baptised as an adult as a public commitment to Christianity, and as a fresh start. And I live my life accordingly and value my relationship with God.

However, none of my family are religious.

This is the thing that gets me…

As I understand it, people are “saved” on account of their relationship with God

Those who are “saved” go to what we call “Heaven” after they die

Whereas those who aren’t will go to what is known as “Hell” (which is the default destination)

Both for eternity (whatever that means)

Now, here’s the thing…

Imagine I’m going to go to Heaven (which I hope I am) on account of my relationship with God (although I would never presume anything, for all I know I could be very much hell bound!)

This would mean that my family members would go to Hell on account of them being irreligious

Here’s my conundrum:

How could one enjoy Heaven knowing one’s family is suffering in Hell for all eternity?

If I go to Heaven I will insist on having my family join me there

I’d hope that this would be possible

Has this occurred to anyone else?

Do people think this would be possible?
Your Christian perspective is way off 1st there is no hell look the word up in Hebrew or greek 2nd nobody is in hell now that are dead Christ taught this in luke 16 with richman and lazerus there is a gulf in heaven those that overcome on one side with Abraham by the way who is alive and those that did not followed the way of the world satan to say. all dead go to heaven 2 Corinthians 5vrs 8 to be absent from this body is to be present with the lord...…. ecclesiastes 12 vrs 6-7 silver cord breaks soul goes to lord your not out here in the ground just your flesh body goes back to dirt we have a 1000yr millinium coming with Christ return all them that don't overcome it is summer school and gods elect the overcomers are teacher for that 1000yr then satan is released for short period and they are tested who they going to love GOD or satan then the lake of fire for all who fail GOD don't wont them and neither should you and all memory of them will be blotted out you will never miss them there are no tears in heaven all im saying can be found in the word of god not some church pamphlet but the word you have been hearing mans word for to long 1st ressurection is when you die if you have overcome john 3 vrs16 with Abraham on the right side the 2nd resurection has no power over you it is for those on the other side hopefully our teaching at that time we will pull many out of the second death with Christ help of course because we cant do nothing only Christ can and remember this GOD only is judge not you you really don't know what your family thinks only god does he is a heart knower that means mind reader ther last minitue on earth they might overcome just like the thieve on the right side of Christ he did not jump down of that cross to be baptized did he no he believed john 3 vrs 16 hope this helps you overcome

sam swift

Christ-man

So… I believe in God and accept Christ as my Lord and Saviour and have been baptised as an adult as a public commitment to Christianity, and as a fresh start. And I live my life accordingly and value my relationship with God.

As I understand it, people are “saved” on account of their relationship with God

Whereas those who aren’t will go to what is known as “Hell” (which is the default destination)

Now, here’s the thing…

Imagine I’m going to go to Heaven (which I hope I am) on account of my relationship with God (although I would never presume anything, for all I know I could be very much hell bound!)

This would mean that my family members would go to Hell on account of them being irreligious

Here’s my conundrum:

How could one enjoy Heaven knowing one’s family is suffering in Hell for all eternity?

Your Christian perspective is way off 1st there is no hell look the word up in Hebrew or greek 2nd nobody is in hell now that are dead Christ taught this in luke 16 with richman and lazerus there is a gulf in heaven those that overcome on one side with Abraham by the way who is alive and those that did not followed the way of the world satan to say. all dead go to heaven 2 Corinthians 5vrs 8 to be absent from this body is to be present with the lord...…. ecclesiastes 12 vrs 6-7 silver cord breaks soul goes to lord your not out here in the ground just your flesh body goes back to dirt we have a 1000yr millinium coming with Christ return all them that don't overcome it is summer school and gods elect the overcomers are teacher for that 1000yr then satan is released for short period and they are tested who they going to love GOD or satan then the lake of fire for all who fail GOD don't wont them and neither should you and all memory of them will be blotted out you will never miss them there are no tears in heaven all im saying can be found in the word of god not some church pamphlet but the word you have been hearing mans word for to long 1st ressurection is when you die if you have overcome john 3 vrs16 with Abraham on the right side the 2nd resurection has no power over you it is for those on the other side hopefully our teaching at that time we will pull many out of the second death with Christ help of course because we cant do nothing only Christ can and remember this GOD only is judge not you you really don't know what your family thinks only god does he is a heart knower that means mind reader ther last minitue on earth they might overcome just like the thieve on the right side of Christ he did not jump down of that cross to be baptized did he no he believed john 3 vrs 16 hope this helps you overcome

nPeace

Veteran Member
Now tell the kid that you're a Jehovah's Witness and don't believe in the Trinity, so that he can know where you're coming from.
I don't think that matters. Immortality of the soul, and Trinity are two different topics, and there are non-Jehovah's Witnesses that don't believe the Trinity - entirely different topic.
Thanks for informing the poster, of what is not relevant, but that which they may already be aware of.

74x12

Now, here’s the thing…

Here’s my conundrum:

Everyone will be a new creation. They won't remember their old life. They'll know they had a past life and that they had a family but won't remember anything about it. Because this life has sorrow (even our good memories have sadness attached to it somehow) and you will not feel any sorrow in heaven.

Of course you should want your family to be saved which is why you pray and hope. But no worry is necessary about not enjoying heaven.

sam swift

Christ-man

Now, here’s the thing…

Here’s my conundrum:

Eddi,
  • Personally, I reject the notion that "getting into Heaven" requires me to believe in the existence of a Hell in that part of the world which I believe awaits us after our death in this part of the world.
  • It's a rare and remarkably prescient bird who knows precisely what the weather is going to be like at the end of their migratory flight.
  • IMO, these verses confirm my perspective:
    • (Deu 4:24) "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."
    • (Deu 4:33) "Has any people heard the voice of God speaking from the midst of the fire, as you have heard it, and survived?"
    • (Deu 5:24) "You said, 'Behold, the LORD our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire; we have seen today that God speaks with man, yet he lives."
    • (Deu 9:3) "Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire"
  • "Suffering in Hell for all eternity" is nonsense.
psalms 37 vrs 20 takes care of all that GOD is aconsuming fire the holy spirit for those that love him and a consuming fire for those that dont

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I hope that's not what you are saying, because that seems pretty unjust, and callous to me. It even seems selfish, as though the person is only interested in self, and what they want.
Some people, cry out for their family members to be pardoned from just punishment, while calling for the same punishment, for someone unrelated, but isn't that partiality?
The Bible does not present God as unfair, and unjust. Nor is he partial.
(Romans 2:6-11) 6 And he will render to each one according to his works: 7 everlasting life to those who are seeking glory and honor and incorruptibleness by endurance in work that is good; 8 however, for those who are contentious and who disobey the truth but obey unrighteousness there will be wrath and anger, 9 tribulation and distress, upon the soul of every man who works what is injurious, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; 10 but glory and honor and peace for everyone who works what is good, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 11For there is no partiality with God.

I prefer a person who does what is right and just, without partiality, and who does not accept bribes. Don't you?
If anyone - family member, or not - does something deserving of death, whether by man's law, or God's, the particular authority can take them. For I believe in what is fair, just, and right.
If I am the guilty one, then punish me, according to the due punishment.
If I unrepentantly sin against God, I deserve death.
Even now, I don't deserve life, but by God's grace, I live, and have the opportunity to receive the gift of everlasting life.
That's what it is, isn't it - a gift.
The wages of sin is death. Should we not be grateful that, God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
Do you believe an ungrateful person deserves God's gift?
Would you give a free home to people who don't care about you, and disrespect you, and do the most disgusting things?
Not I.

(Hebrews 10:26-31) 26 For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, 27 but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and a burning indignation that is going to consume those in opposition. 28 Anyone who has disregarded the Law of Moses dies without compassion on the testimony of two or three. 29 How much greater punishment do you think a person will deserve who has trampled on the Son of God and who has regarded as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and who has outraged the spirit of undeserved kindness with contempt? 30 For we know the One who said: “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again: “Jehovah will judge his people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
I don't believe that putting people to death is a valid punishment, for anything - (and neither is eternal torture)

"thou shalt not kill" comes to mind

As does "honour thy father and mother", in this instance

I believe in a humane God

nPeace

Veteran Member
I, like the family of the OP, am not a believer despite having read the Bible and lived a culturaly Christian country. I was baptised as an infant, but renounced it as an adult. Am I, and the family of the OP, going to hell even though we have not caused serious harm to other people in our lives?
What is hell?
The Greek word Hades, and the Hebrew word Sheol, to my knowledge, refer to the common grave of mankind. So in that case, everyone goes there - both good, and bad.
Even Jesus went there.

As regards where anyone will go, and for what reason, Jesus gave the answer in Matthew 25, from verse 31.
Also see 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10

nPeace

Veteran Member
I don't believe that putting people to death is a valid punishment, for anything - (and neither is eternal torture)

"thou shalt not kill" comes to mind

As does "honour thy father and mother", in this instance

I believe in a humane God
Everyone has an opinion, and they differ.
So which opinion do you think is the right one?
People differ too, on their opinion about God, as described in the Bible.
Millions believe God is more humane than men. Jesus and his apostles held that opinion. Do you disagree with them?

sam swift

Christ-man

Now, here’s the thing…

Here’s my conundrum:

Eddi,
  • Personally, I reject the notion that "getting into Heaven" requires me to believe in the existence of a Hell in that part of the world which I believe awaits us after our death in this part of the world.
  • It's a rare and remarkably prescient bird who knows precisely what the weather is going to be like at the end of their migratory flight.
  • IMO, these verses confirm my perspective:
    • (Deu 4:24) "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."
    • (Deu 4:33) "Has any people heard the voice of God speaking from the midst of the fire, as you have heard it, and survived?"
    • (Deu 5:24) "You said, 'Behold, the LORD our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire; we have seen today that God speaks with man, yet he lives."
    • (Deu 9:3) "Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire"
  • "Suffering in Hell for all eternity" is nonsense.
psalms 37 vrs 20 takes care of all that GOD is aconsuming fire the holy spirit for those that love him and a consuming fire for those that dont
Actually the bible says tortured forever.

Mark 9:48

Matthew 25:46

Revelation 20:10
Nothing in the Bible says saved people will go to Heaven. The wicked will be destroyed ( burned up ) in Hell. Not tortured forever.
read the subject of mark 9 to know what it means matthew 25 everlasting gone up in smoke forever no more......

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Millions believe God is more humane than men. Jesus and his apostles held that opinion. Do you disagree with them?
I totally agree with them, that God is indeed more humane than humans

I therefore cannot see God killing people for not believing in him:

Humane beings don't kill except for self-preservation, it's a fundamental law of nature

The most humane being in existence would never kill or torture

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Do you know what? Something has just occurred to me as a result of this thread: that it is against reason to suppose that my family will be either tormented for all eternity or simply deleted for the "crime" of being irreligious. I feel much better now!

But that's not to say there isn't a system of reward and punishment in effect, although I believe such a system would be humane and above all else, proportional