• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your faith (church) & your happiness

kadzbiz

Okay, I've been on RF a little while now and I read a lot of posts. One thing has me intrigued. Some people on RF, as in the real world, are very passionate about their faith, church, etc and it comes thru on RF often. What I want to know, if you'd care to share, is how happy you truly are on a daily basis? I mean, is your faith, churchgoing, really making you happy in the world, or do you feel like you're doing everything you believe you should be, but in reality you're not as happy as you believe you should be? I'm curious.

Why do I ask? Well, I'm not a churchgoer myself, and I have my beliefs and philosophies, but I'm generally quite a happy person and it seems to me that others who are "right into" their faith, don't always appear so.

J Bryson

I"m happy with my faith and church. Of course, I'm a new member, so this may just be the honeymoon period, but I've found that being around a number of active, socially aware, and thoughtful people has been inspiring me to create positive change in the world around me, and has led to some satisfaction in doing so.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Okay, I've been on RF a little while now and I read a lot of posts. One thing has me intrigued. Some people on RF, as in the real world, are very passionate about their faith, church, etc and it comes thru on RF often. What I want to know, if you'd care to share, is how happy you truly are on a daily basis? I mean, is your faith, churchgoing, really making you happy in the world, or do you feel like you're doing everything you believe you should be, but in reality you're not as happy as you believe you should be? I'm curious.

Why do I ask? Well, I'm not a churchgoer myself, and I have my beliefs and philosophies, but I'm generally quite a happy person and it seems to me that others who are "right into" their faith, don't always appear so.
Not only am I truly happy with my church, I give the church a great deal of credit for that happiness. After 6 years of isolation, I finally have a community, and it's done wonders for me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When I was a Christian, church made me very happy and content, and in many ways provided invaluable support during some very hard times in my life. That said, I think conflicts with our nature as human beings verses our expectations and preconceptions results in the majority of the distress. Churchgoers, in my opinion, are holding on to artificially developed characteristics that can be insanely difficult to abide and reconcile with depending on the circumstances.

-NM-

kadzbiz

I'm wondering if this thread will make others who feel opposite to the above three feel too uncomfortable to reply.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Finding my path has increased my happiness. I had always struggled with my happiness at the expense of life. Once I started looking for the truth I had to look into myself and things got better. Now that I have the truth I know how to make myself and others happy so life is definately better.

Some of what I relized allows me to feel better everyday. I am smiling while I think about it now. :D;):rainbow1::angel2:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm...

I'd say I'm a fairly happy person overall, though I'm also fairly certain that I suffer from at least mild depression...

That said, my religion makes me both the most joyous I have ever been, and among the saddest I have ever been...

There is nothing so uplifting as the infinite love God gives to us, and nothing so downing on me than the thought of all the times I've failed Him...

jtartar

Kadzbiz,
You probably have seen the Curiosa Felicitas, the person with a perpetual smile on their face. Does this make them truely happy inside? Is the person with anhedonia any happier? Or sobersides? NO!!! What about the optomist, or pessimist?? Likely none of these are truely happy.
The only way a person can have inner JOY independent of outside influences is to know what the Bible says, to be able to prove to yourself what the will of God is and know that you are trying to fulfill what God requires Rom, 12:2.
Jesus said : If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free, John 8:31,32. This means, if you know what God's purpose is for the earth and people on it, you will be happy because you understand what the conditions on earth mean. You are set free from all the false beliefs about our future.
At Matt chapter 5:2-12, lists several things that make a true Christian happy. You must study the Holy Scriptures dilligently to understand, what the scriptures are telling us, then you are happy no matter what the surrounding conditions are.

misanthropic_clown

I must say the happiest 'runs' in my life have been the times I have been the most active in my church. It's probably a social thing more than much else. When I have distanced myself from my faith, I have been unhappy both in terms of the spiritual conflict I have felt, but also because it alienates me from that social group.

kadzbiz

...... You probably have seen the Curiosa Felicitas, the person with a perpetual smile on their face. Does this make them truely happy inside? Is the person with anhedonia any happier? Or sobersides? NO!!! What about the optomist, or pessimist?? Likely none of these are truely happy........

Sorry, I've not heard of the Curiosa Felicitas. We can't assume anyone isn't truly happy inside. And check out what is says beside my avatar....:)