• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your experiences during meditation

Frolicking_Fox

Artemis, Athena, and Buddha. Anarcho-Communist.
Well as long as you don't actually have a spear sticking out of you, you'll be fine. "0]

It's actually beneficial not in the manner of progress, but insight by which you glimpse with clarity the nature of mind and what it does in respect to these kinds of experiences.

So, what does it exactly mean? I have had friends, who are also Buddhist, say that they have also had these, and that it most likely is your past life. Although I have heard this many times before, I am not actually sure what this means. And, if it is my past life, I am not sure I like having a spear in my stomach.

von bek

So, what does it exactly mean? I have had friends, who are also Buddhist, say that they have also had these, and that it most likely is your past life. Although I have heard this many times before, I am not actually sure what this means. And, if it is my past life, I am not sure I like having a spear in my stomach.

It is certainly possible you are having glimpses of a previous life. It is also possible it is just a mental creation akin to a dream. Knowing about your past lives is an ability that can be developed according to the Buddha. However, he also cautions us that obsessing over what or who we were in a past life can bring vexation and worry. What's done is done. Since it seems that these visions are disturbing to you, I might suggest that the next time one of these vision occurs, note the vision as merely a mental object and not as belonging to self. Note the mental consciousness that is aware of the contact of the mental object with your mind. Be mindful of the feeling the thought engenders, and watch all of it dissolve on successive waves of consciousness. No matter how disturbing it is, know that it is neither you nor does it belong to you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would dismiss any notion like past lives and such. It's really cerebral baggage that only distracts and creates diversions same as the experiences people talk and relate about.
Makyo is a wisp of the mind and as meditation "deepens" by which thoughts quiet down, it's nature starts to be uncovered, through which mayko manifests naturally with diminishement of unhindered thoughts or "chatter" as it were. It's nature is that by which counting breaths to develop focus gives away to shikantaza by which mayko plays in typically after counting the breath is mastered.

Usually that's where problems come in if a person gives substance or meaning to the experiences and as a result, attaches emotion or meaning when in fact it remains insubstantial by which you count breaths repeatably upon interruption of thoughts and subsequent meditation for which counting is no longer required, and acknowledged and allowed to let go and dissipate. Same as repeating the count of breaths.

That's why typically it's recommended by people to seek assistance by a teacher during this time as it can be difficult to understand what's going on whenever mayko arises, unless your aware of it's harmless and unsubstantial nature, by which teachers blow it off and tell you not to get wound up or involved with the experiences themselves.

Its just along the lines of "blowing the dust away" and clarity illuminates through what was once obscure.

It's why we meditate. :0]

von bek

BTW, I love your avatar!

Osal

Personally I have doubts that this could be a past life experience or recollection.

I'd tend to follow what my meditation instructor says at times like this this, "It's just a thought." However, considering the nature of that thought, I'd be a bit concerned, hence my advice to get some couseling from a health professional and a properly trainned Meditation instructor.