• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your experience with fairies

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Two April 28ths ago I swear there were fairies in a garden near the Catholic Church. I had visions of them and really felt like they were present and caring for the plants.

I have however lost that conviction. But I did sing to the fairies of Fairy Land and found it a rewarding practice at the time.

Have you ever had an experience with fairies? Some people see them with their naked eye.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever had an experience with fairies? Some people see them with their naked eye.

Well, not direct experience, although as a kid, when I lost a tooth, I put it under the pillow and the Tooth Fairy took it and left a dime.

It didn't work that way at the dentist's office when I had a tooth pulled a few years ago. They actually wanted money from me. I thought they'd at least deduct whatever amount the Tooth Fairy was giving them for the tooth, but there was no Tooth Fairy discount.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I haven't but I see them as being much the same as dryads, elves and dwarves. Basically nature spirits. They can be rather mischievous and hostile to humans, but can you blame them?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I haven't but I see them as being much the same as dryads, elves and dwarves. Basically nature spirits. They can be rather mischievous and hostile to humans, but can you blame them?
There are actually laws to protect them:

“It is a long, detailed procedure and it has taken nearly eight years to secure the future of our heritage, culture and folklore. We are delighted in the knowledge that our little people will be protected from extinction and allowed to thrive on the mountains,” local man Kevin Woods said of the directive in 2011.Leprechauns are protected under European law

They are protected under European law in some places.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
It was Mardi Gras 89',,,,I was pretty toasted...so the details are fuzzy to me...but from what I remembered of these fairies um..well ...some things are best left unsaid.

Last edited:

Jumi

My ancestors believed there was a fairy protecting each house, and of course one for the sauna. I believe the fairies outside were actual flora though, probably trees that people thought were protecting their house and family. I think it was much the same in other countries, where the church declared a sort of war on trees, thinking of nature as pagan.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Two April 28ths ago I swear there were fairies in a garden near the Catholic Church. I had visions of them and really felt like they were present and caring for the plants.

I have however lost that conviction. But I did sing to the fairies of Fairy Land and found it a rewarding practice at the time.

I saw faeries dancing on the lawns once. I just sat their watching thinking huh, look at that. I see faeries dancing on my lawn. I guess it's what they call surreal. It's not like it was a fleeting image out of the corner of my eye. They were just there, dancing in the daylight for as long as I cared to look. I just ignored them. My mind wondered off onto other things and I lost focus on them. When I thought to look again they were gone.

I didn't really think there were actual faeries dancing on my lawn but I clearly saw them.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I saw faeries dancing on the lawns once. I just sat their watching thinking huh, look at that. I see faeries dancing on my lawn. I guess it's what they call surreal. It's not like it was a fleeting image out of the corner of my eye. They were just there, dancing in the daylight for as long as I cared to look. I just ignored them. My mind wondered off onto other things and I lost focus on them. When I thought to look again they were gone.

I didn't really think there were actual faeries dancing on my lawn but I clearly saw them.
That's amazing!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My ancestors believed there was a fairy protecting each house, and of course one for the sauna. I believe the fairies outside were actual flora though, probably trees that people thought were protecting their house and family. I think it was much the same in other countries, where the church declared a sort of war on trees, thinking of nature as pagan.
Interesting. The idea that there's a spirit or divinity protecting each home/family and to venerate this entity is common around the world. The Greeks called theirs the Agathos Daimon.

The Christians declared war on trees? I hadn't heard of this. Do you have more information?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well, not direct experience, although as a kid, when I lost a tooth, I put it under the pillow and the Tooth Fairy took it and left a dime.

It didn't work that way at the dentist's office when I had a tooth pulled a few years ago. They actually wanted money from me. I thought they'd at least deduct whatever amount the Tooth Fairy was giving them for the tooth, but there was no Tooth Fairy discount.

What kind of “dime?”

Jumi

Interesting. The idea that there's a spirit or divinity protecting each home/family and to venerate this entity is common around the world. The Greeks called theirs the Agathos Daimon.
Yes, they were quite common beliefs. Trees were also special in other religions... The people here were quite animistic before the Northern Crusades took us. Though many beliefs persisted in secret until recently, despite repression and public humiliations of believers.

The Christians declared war on trees? I hadn't heard of this. Do you have more information?
It wasn't literal war, but a fight of ideas. Where trees were respected before, they needed to be abandoned or taken down if worshiped. They took out the groves and put churches in their place. I read that in some countries they cleared out some forest to fight the old beliefs.

It was quite recently that an Orthodox priest "blessed" a tree that was basically a curse on the old pagans if you read the text. So they have some memory of that.