• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Exercise Routine

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I want my knees to last for a very long time, and so I don't run at all. I don't know if this will help, but I absolutely avoid running except for short distances and when its necessary.

My exercise routine is very brief and only consists of a few stretches. I'm hoping to stretch my calves enough to do an asian squat. My job is active enough that I don't worry about getting cardio.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I just follow a bloke on youtube called Don Fiore and do his seniors and beginners videos. Only been doing it since December last year.
From what I can see, he really gears this to soft movements and breathing. It's more qigong practice, than Tai Chi, which follows a specific form, depending on what family or style of Tai Chi it is.

This is the style I practice, Yang family taijiquan. This is the master in the lineage I practice (my teacher's teacher's teacher, or my 'great grandfather', so to speak. This is the short 37 posture form, which takes only around 6 minutes to perform. I do the long form which is 150 postures, and takes around 18 minutes to perform. The postures are identical to what he is doing, but just more of them, and a number of additional ones.

And BTW, this is taught to old folks too at our studio, so you're never too old to learn the form. :) Tai Chi is a way of life. Glad you have an interest in it!

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Fitness is a huge part of my life. These days I do a lot of lifting and body exercises at home and at the gym (24 Hour Fitness), and a moderate amount of running.

My favorite upper body workouts include- among many other things- bench, military press, bent over rows, dips, and either hand release push-ups or handstand push-ups (against the wall). My favorite lower body exercises include squats, seated leg press, leg extension and lunges. My favorite core exercise- and probably my favorite exercise period besides bench- is hanging inverted crunches, performed either on a squat rack or on a specific tree in the front yard.

For running, it’s usually a chill 2 mile run a few times a week, or a series of sprints with a small amount of rest in between.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My exercise routine involves going to the dog park, walking a lot. And moving heavy items around the house. :)

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What do you do for exercise? And no I don't mean clicking a mouse or keyboard. :tearsofjoy:

I enjoy running, I have a typical circuit of about two miles that I do around my neighborhood a couple times a week.

I also have a gym membership to a big box gym though I haven't been going consistently. Now that I'm out of school for the semester I'd like to get back in the rhythm. Usually would do a combination of strength training and cardio.

Is there any type of exercise you'd like to do more of, or something new you'd like to try?
I use the total gym almost daily. The Chiropractor recommended it to strengthen my back , but I also do chest and arms. I also like to walk, ride bicycles and canoe and kayak.

Once you are over fifty it's move it or lose it!

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
From what I can see, he really gears this to soft movements and breathing. It's more qigong practice, than Tai Chi, which follows a specific form, depending on what family or style of Tai Chi it is.

This is the style I practice, Yang family taijiquan. This is the master in the lineage I practice (my teacher's teacher's teacher, or my 'great grandfather', so to speak. This is the short 37 posture form, which takes only around 6 minutes to perform. I do the long form which is 150 postures, and takes around 18 minutes to perform. The postures are identical to what he is doing, but just more of them, and a number of additional ones.

And BTW, this is taught to old folks too at our studio, so you're never too old to learn the form. :) Tai Chi is a way of life. Glad you have an interest in it!

Thanks, I will check it out. I started doing it to help my balance and arthritis. I think it has helped with the balance issues but not so sure about the arthritis. Only thing I don't like about it so far is if I catch a glimpse of myself doing it in the mirror of the wife's display cabinet, I never realised how ungraceful I am.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
What do you do for exercise? And no I don't mean clicking a mouse or keyboard. :tearsofjoy:

I enjoy running, I have a typical circuit of about two miles that I do around my neighborhood a couple times a week.

I also have a gym membership to a big box gym though I haven't been going consistently. Now that I'm out of school for the semester I'd like to get back in the rhythm. Usually would do a combination of strength training and cardio.

Is there any type of exercise you'd like to do more of, or something new you'd like to try?

I work out, walk, do Jazzercise, do Zumba, line dance. I also just joined our neighborhood's dance performing group and we practice once a week. I used to run but I tore a cartilage, so I don't want to mess it up. I walk pretty fast though. I would like to do more ballroom dancing.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks, I will check it out. I started doing it to help my balance and arthritis. I think it has helped with the balance issues but not so sure about the arthritis. Only thing I don't like about it so far is if I catch a glimpse of myself doing it in the mirror of the wife's display cabinet, I never realised how ungraceful I am.
Trust me, when I began this, I had no sense of my own body. It takes a lot of practice, but it begins to pay off. I literally feels several decades younger from it. And I still have a long ways to go. It's all good.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I don't run unless someone is chasing me. The knee can no longer handle the impact.

I do 5-mile walks two to three times per week.
I understand this all too well. Good plan to not overdo things. The Golden Middle of Buddha I knew at age 16 is my Path, but takes many years to get my enthusiasm, doing excess, out of my mind. Wish you well with your knee.

I used to play badminton very intense many hours (3 to 4) twice a week (competition)

Once I run, also intense, for 30 min and that hurt my knee badly. 4 years every step almost hurtled me (biking also trouble). Fortunately I found the cause, and could cure it by diet change

Then I did yoga postures, with a teacher, and again my knee..crack I heard. No more pain free walking for a few weeks. Luckily it happened in the Ashram of Sai Baba, and He promises "if you come to me, I take full care and responsibility for you", so the day I had to leave the Ashram, He took care of the pain on daily basis.

IF I do stupid though (running a bit too hard, eating wrong or whatever Adharmic thing), He stops for a minute taking on my pain, and after a few seconds of intense pain, I pray "okay Sai Baba, I did stupid, please I need your help", and pain subsides quickly

So, I try to do less stupid nowadays, less Adharmic things. No running, no bike racing, no over eating, eating as satwic (clean) as possible.

Just normal walk & bike 1 hour max a day

Golden Middle Way is My Way:cool:

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I just walked 6 or 7 miles today, I feel like I could keep going.. made it through an hour of a podcast on space science simultaneously. Saw a few good farm views. I really think I'm just going to hop in the shower for a bit, and then go out again

Good for you! Sounds like a good day. :)

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

I average about a mile, maybe two miles a day bicycling. I'll be picking up my walking soon. Likely a couple miles average daily. Nicotine cessation program in the works also. 10 Push-ups, 10 dips, 10 situps alternating every cig I smoke until I quit, then continue the exercises. Seems a decent replacement type program.

For now, about a mile or two on bike.