• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Dream Job That Never Was

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wanted to be a zoologist specializing in reptiles for a long time. Even worked with a reptile rescue group that also did lots of education events at schools, museums and zoos.
But it would have been a very expensive education for a job with a reprehensible work load to pay.

I also have two multimedia degrees but they were never meant to be first choice careers but backuos in case I got hurt and couldn't do my very physical job.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a kid, I really wanted to be a truck driver because I loved trucks. (I still do, but I don't want to be a trucker.) I come from a middle-class family, though, which in my country more or less means you absolutely have to get a university degree and have a white-collar career. So my childhood dream never came true. Instead, I ended up learning English, a lot of math, and programming.

What about you? Did you ever have a dream job but ended up pursuing something else?
In the past, in Israel, being a bus driver for example was considered a very respectable job. Not so much nowadays, and so there's a shortage...but every now and then I hear that various blue collar jobs can earn you very respectable pay and the hours are generally better than say, hi-tech office work. I've never really looked into the subject though.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In the past, in Israel, being a bus driver for example was considered a very respectable job. Not so much nowadays, and so there's a shortage...but every now and then I hear that various blue collar jobs can earn you very respectable pay and the hours are generally better than say, hi-tech office work. I've never really looked into the subject though.

Some blue-collar work also pays very well in Egypt, but it still doesn't have nearly as much social prestige as its white-collar counterpart. It's a complicated issue.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When I was a kid, I really wanted to be a truck driver because I loved trucks. (I still do, but I don't want to be a trucker.) I come from a middle-class family, though, which in my country more or less means you absolutely have to get a university degree and have a white-collar career. So my childhood dream never came true. Instead, I ended up learning English, a lot of math, and programming.

What about you? Did you ever have a dream job but ended up pursuing something else?
That was my dream in 5th grade and I accomplished it.

However I would desperately try to talk people out of modern day trucking. It's nothing at all like it used to be.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I wanted to be an actor, and a singer. All through my school years, I was always in Glee Club and Drama Club. As an adult, I had a couple of smallish successes -- taking over roles where the original cast had to move on to other booked destinations. But alas, I was never quite good enough to make it to the professional level. I admit, it has been a huge disappointment to me.

Instead, I wound up in technology, and got to the level of VP of Information Technology for a global financial institution, which isn't bad. It certainly earned me more money than I ever would have made as an actor and a singer! (I'm not Sir Ian, nor Pavarotti, alas.)

But I still love reading Shakespeare plays, and acting them in my mind. I have a one man show about Shakespeare's life using his own words, interspersed with my own interpretations -- all memorized, ready-to-go, an hour-and-a-half of the Bard -- yet, I've never performed it publicly. Guess I'm too chicken, now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wanted to be an actor, and a singer. All through my school years, I was always in Glee Club and Drama Club. As an adult, I had a couple of smallish successes -- taking over roles where the original cast had to move on to other booked destinations. But alas, I was never quite good enough to make it to the professional level. I admit, it has been a huge disappointment to me.
hqdefault.jpg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That was my dream in 5th grade and I accomplished it.

However I would desperately try to talk people out of modern day trucking. It's nothing at all like it used to be.

My dad as a trucker, too. He says its not like it used to be, but still recommends it for my oldest.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Just trying to help people avoid the disappointment
associated with trying hard things.
Now this time, I'm not going to put my tongue in cheek -- that is something I would never, ever advise anyone. As one line from G&S operetta Iolanthe (in which I sang the role of Lord Tolloller) says: "Faint heart never won fair lady."

Okay, maybe I wasn't after the lady, but I had to try for the roles. Then I had to eat, and for some reason I was better at math and logic, so computers it was.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
You'll notice that I'm sitting in my armchair,
& not out training to win a marathon.

Me too, though I did just come home from a walk.

Though, the walk was motivated by laziness. It was simply less work to take the kids for a walk than to keep them from wreaking havoc in the house.

Audie

Veteran Member

Miillion dollars for not working.
But that's not really a job.
And who wants a job?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Same here.
But I have kept my toes in, and I make a fresh attempt from time to time. Last year I began writing a program in C that manipulated my graphic accelerator card. A year or two before that I studied Python 3. Now I am studying Rust and liking it. I've also experimented with VBA and mucked about with C#. My first language was Pascal. The language I hate the most is (sorry) Cobol. But you know what: I'd write a video game in Cobol.