• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your criteria for salvation & consequences

Galateasdream

What, according to whatever faith or philosophy you hold, is the meaning of, and criteria for, salvation? And what are the effects of this salvation and the consequences for failing to meet the criteria?

To keep things concise and tidy it'd be great if people kept a format, and kept responses to the point.
Please avoid scripture quotes and references to avoid clutter.

Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:
Consequence of failure is:

Thanks! :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The concept of salvation, in my worldview, is known as moksha, which is essentially enlightenment.

When one arrives at the realization that s/he, in his/her true nature, is the same as Brahman and lets go of temporal attachments, s/he is released from samsara, the cycle of life, death, and rebirth. Living in ignorance of one's true nature and/or remaining attached to things in relative reality results in continuance of the cycle of samsara.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Salvation is like heaven in that it reflects a state of being close to God. Not being saved is like hell where we are separated from God. Both are states in both this world and the world to come. Salvation comes from recognition of the Manifestations of God and following their Teachings. Neither is acceptable without the other. So if we turn away from the Manifestation of God we turn away from God. If we turn towards His Manifestations we may be Saved by the Grace of God.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What, according to whatever faith or philosophy you hold, is the meaning of, and criteria for, salvation? And what are the effects of this salvation and the consequences for failing to meet the criteria?

To keep things concise and tidy it'd be great if people kept a format, and kept responses to the point.

Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:

I personally have no need or use for "salvation".

To me, "salvation" is something one requires to make ammense for some terrible thing one has done, or to crawl out of some deep hole one has dug for himself.

Something like... suppose I'm some heavy heroin addict. The current path of my life is destined to either end up in jail or in a coffin. Suppose I then meet some woman, or find some thing that gives me the motivation to clean up my act and take a 180° turn. That woman, or that thing, could be said to be my "salvation".

In such a context, I might use that word.

But considering not having done some terrible thing or finding myself in a deep hole or whatever... I see no need for any "salvation".

It's one of the reasons that I kinda loath christianity on principle. It's a gigantic guilt trip. It basicly teaches that you are some kind of horrible person who is in need of "salvation". Conveniently, off course, it supposedly provides the only means of "salvation" to "cure" your "rotten inner self".

It pretty much teaches that you are "guilty" of being human.

It's psychological poison.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Salvation is: an invention of man
Requirements are: there are no requirements, BUT ... I will attempt to lead a good life harming no one and leaving the planet as I found it.
Result is: a clear conscience
Consequence of failure is: guilt and an unfulfilled life

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Salvation is: a religious concept, designed by religious founders to keep the masses subjugated members of whatever religious faith they favour

Requirements are: follow the leaders instructions and you can believe salvation is real.

Result is: immediate result is comfort for believers hoping they are taking the path to salvation. In the long term, nothing and you can't even get through to the complaints department

Consequence of failure is: short term, guilt and fear. Long term nothing, we all die.

Galateasdream

Salvation is: the benefits of an active relationship with God now, and an undeserved blissful eternal future beyond

Requirements are: accepting the nature of God as revealed in the core of the Christ myth

Result is: salvation (see above)

Consequence of failure: there is no possibility failure, only perhaps limited delay

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Salvation is: A concept found in other religions (specifically, types of Christianity) that is entirely absent in my own. I find it inappropriate to use the term to describe other types of "deliverance from harm" and in any case, my religion doesn't offer that either. Harm and pain are part of life and living.
Requirements are: n/a
Result is: n/a
Consequence of failure is: n/a

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:

What is salvation and how does one know they are saved or not?

...Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:

Bible tells that eternal life is for righteous and the wage of sin is death. Jesus declared that sins are forgiven. People are saved from the judgment that would come because of sin by those words. Now, there is no conditions for the forgiveness. However, if person continues in sin, forgiveness is not useful, because there is new sin and eternal life is for righteous. That is why Jesus said “sin no more”.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

"Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."
John 8:11

…Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you.
John 5:14

So, the answers are:
1. Saved from the judgment (death).
2. No requirements.
3. Result is, one is not judged.
4. If one doesn’t receive it, or goes back to sin, forgiveness is not useful.

This is why Jesus taught one must be born anew. There must happen change so that person becomes righteous.

"Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

That can happen by the words of Jesus:

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

And in a result, it means person becomes righteous:

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:

1. Moksha, release from the cycle of rebirth (samsara); the final understanding of reality.
  2. Realization of our true nature as Brahman, and that what we see and experience is not reality. It's experiential, not intellectual. However, in Vaishnava belief, God can override this and grant moksha, and has done so.
  3. Saccidānanda, "being, consciousness, bliss".
  4. We are reborn into this existence.

Jeremiah Ames

Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:

Salvation is eternal life.
Requirements are be nice to other people while on earth.
Result is eternal life. Duh
Consequence of failure is eternal death.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The concept of salvation does not apply since we're not saved nor lost in the religious sense.

Requirements are: Living life after life until we've done it all and are ready to walk the Path to God. Then we walk that path, learning all the way to more and more live life to our best understanding of what we're invited to do.

Result is: Eventual union with God

Consequence of failure is: Any apparent failure might or might not be failure. But in any event, we have many lives to balance what might appear as failure.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:

Without knowing what you mean by salvation I don’t have a baseline to compare to as our religion places no emphasis on such a thing.

danieldemol

Premium Member

Salvation is:
Requirements are:
Result is:

Salvation is: The development of the attributes necessary to get by in the spiritual world.
Requirements are: A life virtuously lived
Result is: Being born into the spiritual world in a spiritually developed state
Consequence of failure: Being born into the spiritual world spiritually handicapped until one develops the virtues necessary to be spiritually able. (Ie spiritually handicapped until rehabilitated by God).

Great topic :)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Salvation is: Mainly a religious concept so not applicable to those without such - but, in the general sense (liberation from ignorance or illusion - and being that which makes life worthwhile overall), perhaps is the ability to understand that some questions are unanswerable (for us humans - and at present), are not worth asking (because they are too costly and tend to cause too much trouble), or that any answers we get might not be applicable to others (even if we think so), such that they tend to cause divisions - with most of these not really being verifiable as 'the truth'. Hence, salvation is the ability to have a quiet mind much of the time, with just sufficient questioning as to deal with the reality we have in our own particular existence. Perhaps the phrase - it pays to speculate - should be confined to finance and other trivial matters.
Requirements are: Ability to be truthful, honest (firstly with oneself), critical, sceptical, and non-judgmental - along with a large dose of compassion, understanding, and tolerance.
Result is: A life lived in harmony with others - as long as others do the same, which unfortunately is not so - such that strife is still possible, but tolerable.
Consequence of failure is: What we often have at the moment - divisions and conflict caused by so many different religious or other similar entrenched beliefs.