• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your country and religion

We Never Know

No Slack
With different countries and religions here on RF... What you say

In >>your country<<..Keep replies to your country please

What are some bad things because of religion(what do you blame on religion)?

What are some goods things because of religion(what do you credit to religion)?

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Neither stand out, really. There are good religious people(of all religions), and bad religious people(of all religions). There are also good non-religious people, and bad non-religious people. (I use good/bad simplistically here, we're all a mixture of these concepts, but it shows more in some than others.)

In my country, I blame[many of] the problems on increased political polarization.

(I'm in the US.)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

In summary: rigidity, intolerance, ignoring the spirit but trying to force and enforce the letter, forgetting the best parts of the religious traditions.

Honoring the Earth (some religions), helping one another feeling we're all one creation, promoting positive values of love, respect, justice, tolerance and understanding.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In >>your country<< Keep replies to your country please
What are some bad things because of religion (what do you blame on religion)?
What are some goods things because of religion (what do you credit to religion)?
The bad thing is superstition.
The good thing is flexibility.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I think one of the bad things about religion is that it would be difficult to have a lady prime minister due to bigotry against meritorious women inherited from Christianity.

I think one of the good things is the belief that there is merit in guiding people away from superstition even if the religions and I dont necessarily agree on what constitutes superstition.

(Australia)

In my opinion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Brazil is generally speaking very much on the thrall of Christian (traditionally Catholic, but increasingly also Protestant and Neopentechostal) expectations.

Those are rather harmful for sincere religiosity because they presume to be the true, definitive creeds - and teach as much.

They also have created a whole culture of hypocrisy, as so painfully evidenced by the current troubles with Bolsonarism.

It is a shame; we could use a lot of religiosity proper.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

True religion which is the virtues and good qualities taught in all the religions is purely good.

What people mistake for ‘bad religion’ is in reality disobedience to religion.

So religion teaches to love but someone instead hates. That is not the fault of religion or bad religion but disobedience to the law of love it teaches.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Yesterday our federal government declared that the residential schools history was in fact a genocide. I blame that both on our past government and the Christian churches, mostly Catholic.

As far as good things go, because of our immigration policy, we're becoming more diverse. For example, the number of Hindus in Canada has increased by 300 000 just in the last 10 years. With this diversity, we'll get more tolerance, as human interaction helps that.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Good:
1. We have an extensive social system and 2. the major churches are the largest provider in the field of social welfare, running schools, homes for the elderly, projects for the disadvantaged, etc., which may or not be based on the command to charitable behaviour from the parable of the Good Samaritan in the Bible.

Bad:
1. I believe that the major churches are given too much room to denigrate other religions with governmental support via "religious sect advisers". However, I think this phenomenon will decrease the more the influence of the churches on society diminishes and the more diverse the religious landscape will become.

2. I feel concerned about increasing anti-Semitism due to the growing number of Muslims, but this is a complex problem that reaches far beyond the national level. After all, Germany has had enough problems with "domestic" anti-Semitism before.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And what are your thoughts - pro and con - about life, ideation, and Canadian cuisine?

The problem with such threads is that they invite responses which are, either, necessarily flippant or predictably shallow. That said ...

U.S.A.
an adolescent country periodically characterized by failed potential​
Judaism
a treasure trove of values and traditions evolved in the name of ethical monotheism​

We Never Know

No Slack
And what are your thoughts - pro and con - about life, ideation, and Canadian cuisine?

The problem with such threads is that they invite responses which are, either, necessarily flippant or predictably shallow. That said ...

U.S.A.
an adolescent country periodically characterized by failed potential​
Judaism
a treasure trove of values and traditions evolved in the name of ethical monotheism​

" And what are your thoughts - pro and con - about life, ideation, and Canadian cuisine?"

What does that have to do with living in the USA?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
" And what are your thoughts - pro and con - about life, ideation, and Canadian cuisine?"
While we border Canada, I have little access to their cuisine unless I actually visit. It is a paradox conducive to ideation concerning the pros and cons of living so close to a nevertheless remote culture -- chief among the latter being the closing of L'Atre on the Ile d'Orleans near Quebec City. :(

I think one of the good things about Christianity in Finland has been that because of it, there has been good attitude, meaning, people have wanted to take care of each other generally.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

In the US,
Bad: Fundamentalism, discrimination and bigotry, anti-intellectualism, trying to merge with government.
Good: Comfort, community