• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your beliefs of Afterlife?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
An illusion does not mean it does not exist but that it isn't what it seems to be. True God (in your case Brahman) is all there is, yet it allows me to believe "I" exits and to feel this existence and I get to celebrate both.
You are right. That is the way I take it (and that is the way which was advocated by Adi Sankara, the great teacher of non-duality, 'Advaita' in the 8th Century). Two truths. Pragmatic (Vyavaharika) and absolute (Parmararthika). In Vyavaharika, we, separately. But in Paramarthika, we, one. None should be ignored.

Tmac

The Scriptural doctrine is that man lies unconscious in the grave as these scriptures show:
"The living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything." "Their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun." "There is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." Ecclesiastes 9:5, 6, 10. "His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." Psalm 146:4.
There is a day when Jesus will call the dead from their graves and recompense them according to the deeds done in the body,
"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5:10
Nothing that ever was, is or will be, will be forgotten and will be as it always was. I'm sure the people that wrote in the book Ecclesiastes thought the world was flat as well. It appears to me that the writers also made their God a little human for me and as for Jesus. Again does not the father love unconditionally why then does not the son?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nothing that ever was, is or will be, will be forgotten and will be as it always was. I'm sure the people that wrote in the book Ecclesiastes thought the world was flat as well. It appears to me that the writers also made their God a little human for me and as for Jesus. Again does not the father love unconditionally why then does not the son?
Even to this day I like Ecclesiastes. Best book of the Bible imo.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It comes to mind, every person has their separate view of their terminus and their gods.
Mine's easier.....Life and Stuff
And of course Brahma,
and Brahmaniu,
and the edge of nothingness.
~
'mud

Tmac

It comes to mind, every person has their separate view of their terminus and their gods.
Mine's easier.....Life and Stuff
And of course Brahma,
and Brahmaniu,
and the edge of nothingness.
~
'mud
It appears to be the case, mud. I wonder if there are any other that are willing to put aside all this God "stuff" to be the best human they can be. They would have to be very brave to able to stand without all their security blankets.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I think we return to the great nothing.

Well I tend to agree with that with a caveat.
We return to something. We feed the ground, insects, animals, or some such.
Eventually we get recycled.
There is the resurrection crowd that believes we will come back in a perfect
body and have an opportunity to conform to some "god rule" of some kind.
Nice thought it is though.
I believe preachers that give sermons at funerals say such nonsense to bring
some kind of comfort to the grieving family and friends.

“For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Jesus’ reference to death as sleep was not new. It is frequently in the Bible. A passage from both the Old and New Testaments illustrates the point. Daniel said that many who “Sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, (some , he said) to everlasting life.” (Dan. 12:2). When Stephen was stoned to death he is said, quite tenderly, to have fallen asleep (Acts 7:60).

^^^^pretty hard to argue with that but I'm sure many will anyway.
Please do.

Preachers often give comfort at funerals to friends and loved ones saying
the "departed" are only sleeping until the day when...................................."

Belief varies with denominations.
According to the World Christian Encyclopedia (year 2000 version), global Christianity had 33,820 denominations with 3,445,000 congregations/churches.

Take your pick.:rolleyes:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For Hindus it is the second chapter of BhagawadGita:

BG 2.11: While speaking learned words, you are mourning for what is not worthy of grief. Those who are wise lament neither for the living nor for the dead.
BG 2.12: Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.
BG 2.13: As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A sober person is not bewildered by such a change.
BG 2.16: Those who are seers of the truth have concluded that of the nonexistent [the material body] there is no endurance and of the eternal [the soul] there is no change. This they have concluded by studying the nature of both.
BG 2.17: That which pervades the entire body you should know to be indestructible. No one is able to destroy that imperishable soul.
BG 2.18: The material body of the indestructible, immeasurable and eternal living entity is sure to come to an end; therefore, fight, O descendant of Bharata.
BG 2.19: Neither he who thinks the living entity the slayer nor he who thinks it slain is in knowledge, for the self slays not nor is slain.
BG 2.20: For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. It has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. It is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. It is not slain when the body is slain.
BG 2.21: O Pārtha, how can a person who knows that the soul is indestructible, eternal, unborn and immutable kill anyone or cause anyone to kill?
BG 2.22: As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, the soul similarly accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones.
BG 2.23: The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon, nor burned by fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind.
BG 2.24: This individual soul is unbreakable and insoluble, and can be neither burned nor dried. He is everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable, immovable and eternally the same.
BG 2.25: It is said that the soul is invisible, inconceivable and immutable. Knowing this, you should not grieve for the body.
BG 2.26: If, however, you think that the soul [or the symptoms of life] is always born and dies forever, you still have no reason to lament, O mighty-armed.
BG 2.27: One who has taken his birth is sure to die, and after death one is sure to take birth again. Therefore, in the unavoidable discharge of your duty, you should not lament.
BG 2.28: All created beings are unmanifest in their beginning, manifest in their interim state, and unmanifest again when annihilated. So what need is there for lamentation?
BG 2.30: O descendant of Bharata, who dwells in the body can never be slain. Therefore you need not grieve for any living being.

VioletVortex

I believe that consciousness is energy and cannot be destroyed, so I think it lives on, probably in another overlapping world due it losing its connection to this world.

I also think a person symbolically lives on in their legacy and accomplishments in life.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
From Aup,
"It is said that the soul is invisible, inconceivable and immutable. Knowing this, you should not grieve for the body."
This, I like.

But as Iron said: "I also think a person symbolically lives on in their legacy and accomplishments in life."
That said....I will remain a memory to some,
and those few are as important as is needed.
~
'mud

Prestor John

I believe that there is life after death and that all of God's children are going to receive what they desire. Whether they like it or not.

whirlingmerc

I would say that God's children desire God... so they like that...
If they don't desire and enjoy God I would question whether they are 'God's children' in the fullest adoption sense

Prestor John

I would say that God's children desire God... so they like that...
If they don't desire and enjoy God I would question whether they are 'God's children' in the fullest adoption sense
I consider everyone on Earth to be the spiritual children of God.

If they lived a mortal existence that showcases that they do not wish to be with God then He has prepared a place for them to go where He won't be.

He gives us exactly what we desire.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
To be honest, I'm not sure of what happens in the after-life (or if there's even such a thing). I've always had a gut feeling about reincarnation or rebirth since I was little and I have no idea why... But I cannot say I believe it. I'm sceptical of even my feelings about it.

I'd rather think that the logical position is that we simply don't know and that's ok because there's nothing wrong with not knowing. I think such a thing is probably impossible to know.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Protect the memories that one is,
remember to pass them on,
they go with one.
~
'mud

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I consider everyone on Earth to be the spiritual children of God.

If they lived a mortal existence that showcases that they do not wish to be with God then He has prepared a place for them to go where He won't be.

He gives us exactly what we desire.

Since i am a (strong) atheist, it is not the case that I do not wish to be with God, since I do believe that there is not such a thing as God. It would be like me not wishing to be in the presence of Mickey Mouse, which is absurd.

So, do I have a chance?

Ciao

- viole