• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Belief...

HeatherAnn

For me:
"to find truth" debate is useless
"to find truth" sharing experience works

I read what others says
Then I use:
Introspection, meditation ++
I don't need other people to think for me
@stvdvRF
I respect that you don’t need others to think for you, because herd mentality is way more dangerous than flu virus etc. It’s also admirable how you take time for introspection & meditation - how much better this world would be if more would!

As to your first 2 sentences… what is truth? I remember sitting on a subway & 2 older people were debating whether it was too hot or too cold. If a person has eg., hypoxemia, then who’s to say they are not cold? Not in all cases, but often, truth is in perspective. That’s not to suggest what someone thinks or feels is a reflection of external reality - but more about their own reality. Eg., The placebo effect is a real, often observable physical state causes from how someone thinks/feels deeply.

Actual case: a man took all of the pills of a study he was in, truly believing he would thereby kill himself & his body begins to actually die… until the study director explains that he took placebo/sugar pills… then he suddenly recovered & was fine.

Debate often is needed because we all have blind spots.

HeatherAnn

Mental states of mind triggering biochemical reactions.
We learn how to trigger desired physiological states through external stimulation.
Whats really cool is if we can learn to trigger these physiological states at will.
Yes! That would be awesome!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I respect that you don’t need others to think for you, because herd mentality is way more dangerous than flu virus etc
Thank you for your kind and wonderful reply:). And indeed, herd mentality and flu has been a great eye opener to me

It’s also admirable how you take time for introspection & meditation - how much better this world would be if more would!
Again such a nice reply, if more would be so kind with replies as you are, the world would "shine more too" :)

stvdv

As to your first 2 sentences… what is truth? I remember sitting on a subway & 2 older people were debating whether it was too hot or too cold. If a person has eg., hypoxemia, then who’s to say they are not cold? Not in all cases, but often, truth is in perspective
Good example "what not to debate". Here in Holland many complain about the whether daily. Claiming "it's too cold, hot, rainy, windy" I usually reply "Not for me, I don't mind".

That’s not to suggest what someone thinks or feels is a reflection of external reality - but more about their own reality. Eg., The placebo effect is a real, often observable physical state causes from how someone thinks/feels deeply.
True, hence would be better to phrase such things as opinions, that's why I put "IMHO" under each of my posts in my signature, to remind myself and others that I never make claims

Actual case: a man took all of the pills of a study he was in, truly believing he would thereby kill himself & his body begins to actually die… until the study director explains that he took placebo/sugar pills… then he suddenly recovered & was fine.
Wonderful example from Spiritual POV also. Reminds me of the question "Who Am I", for sure not body nor mind. And "what is it, that dies"?

stvdv

Debate often is needed because we all have blind spots.
True.

I don't debate about "Truth", but debate can be useful to confront myself with 'my' fear, insecurity etc, which, IMO, in essence means "my blind spot" to The Truth (Spiritually speaking).

Solving my blind spots for sure is useful to be better equipped to recognize and know Truth, so indeed debate can be useful

It seems "need to debate" could mean:
1) Lack of self confidence to find it myself, as introspection is a kind of "debate within"
2) Lack of patience that I am able to figure it out myself sooner or later (though this patience could be masked laziness)
3) Eagerness to find out as soon as possible, accepting all the help I can get
4) etc.