• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your belief of the afterlife

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In your religion, do you have distinct beliefs about what happens in the afterlife?

For example, some people say we become mere consciousness. If you were to distinctively describe that, what does that mean?

Others say we will become back with oneness or with everything. Although I understand this, if you were to explain it to those who do not, what would distinctively describe that as an "afterlife belief"?

I have a distinct and very short view of the afterlife. We live, we our bodies die, our spirits live to take care of our loved ones. Whether I am aware of it or not isn't the point. That's my body. As long as I know I'm alive in spirit, that's afterlife to me.

I wouldn't call nibanna afterlife because it just focuses on our full understanding of rebirth. Once we get to that full understanding, if you'd like to reply to this thread, give a distinct or understandable place (position, thought perspective), we would be once we reach that state and if it's consciousness, how do you define that without the body?

If you don't believe in any form of the afterlife (for the "I'm the exception" folks), what would you like the afterlife to be? (This is interfaith so you don't have to down Christianity when the word afterlife pops up)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think that after we die we are welcomed back to our true home in another dimension (astral) and reunite with past loved ones and experience more growing opportunities on that plane. Most people will eventually reincarnate in another human experience,

Last edited:

Tabu

According to Brahmakumari knowledge , after a soul leaves the body it takes on a new costume ( new body) according to its deeds. The soul starts its journey as a pure soul and along this journey gradually loses its purity .When the soul is pure it experiences only happiness owing to its purity . As the purity keeps waning the level of happiness reduces until the soul returns like a stalk of an old date tree. So initially all souls start as pure and happy and end up as impure and grieved.
Souls make an entry from the silent soul world into the drama of life at different points depending on their capacities . The bigger souls who make the first entry experience the greatest happiness's and the greatest sorrows and have more roles to play in this drama .
So Heaven and Hell are two opposite phases on this Earth itself and they follow each other in a cycle.
The human life on earth is like that of a tree , whose seed is Almighty God himself .
It has a trunk indicating the initial period where there was unity and one Godly community , followed by branching which is emergence of different religions . The branches further sub branch , indicating different sects .The tree keeps growing ,until all leaves(souls) appear , and once fully grown , the old tree is set on fire and a new sapling is planted and the rest of the souls return back to the soul world . This drama keeps repeating endlessly.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My belief is that Heaven is real, and that each of us will someday be resurrected and return to live there. When I use the word "resurrected," I am speaking of a literal, physical resurrection. I believe that the spirit which occupied our body during mortality but left it at death will re-enter it and give it new life. I see our new physical bodies as being corporeal but not mortal. They will be perfect in every respect and will no longer be subject to disease, deformity, injury or death. We we be reunited with those we loved here in this life and will be able to grow and learn and progress forever.

Acim

Revelation all the time
My belief is there is a period of disorientation, or mental disconnect from the physical. I think there are guides around (ancestors) during this, but are not readily understood as such. I'm under impression there's equivalent of 3 day sorting out process in which you 'hang around' the physical and/or reorient yourself to the non-physical before crossing over.

I understand soul as a thought, yet not in the superficial way we understand 'mere thought.' I think that is generically 'who I am' (or who we are). More accurate a Love Thought. A thought that can manifest/extend/create ideas, some of which may amount to what we here call substance(s), but are still in essence ideas (ideas are how we superficially understand 'mere thought' yet likely our understanding currently only scratches the surface of how it works).

I see 'crossing over' as full acceptance of Light that is all around and what spiritual sight sees (as self evident) of actual reality. I truly believe this is here now, and that Heaven is here now, but there are ideas (or blocks) in place (intentionally, by own self) preventing sight of that. This too shall pass.

I think once crossed over, the full / complete understanding of what this (physical) world is about, and how it will end is known. Such that there is great appreciation for all that are here, believing they are stuck in the physical (own body), yet able to attune to self evident spiritual ideas, and to help bring about end to that which perpetuates darkness. So, once crossed over, I think from our perspective here, that are seemingly stuck, it would seem like no one would ever want to come (or return) here, given our focus on the negative (i.e. suffering). Yet knowing that suffering is easily overcome by healing (of the spiritual kind), it isn't filtered in the way we on this side may choose to understand it. For us, we deliberate on ultimatums like, "well if you don't you'll die" which really just means a physical death, and is I imagine entirely humorous on the other side.

Therefore I think there is actually a waiting line of sorts to return here, and once again be born into this world and go through it all again, for the sheer joy of the experience and to contribute in what is understood on the other side as significant way toward ending darkness, but on this side may not even be noticed by other human eyes. While some of the sheer fun part definitely is noticeable. Not like the darkness has kept us (entirely) blind to who we are, what we can do, how free our Will truly is.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think that after we die we are welcomed back to our true home in another dimension (astral) and reunite with past loved ones and experience more growing opportunities on that plane. Most people will eventually reincarnate in another human experience,

Is the dimension on earth?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am not fond of any afterlife concept. I would rather concentrate on attaining the best possible quality of life among the living.

I'm actually surprised that is such a minority position.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My belief is there is a period of disorientation, or mental disconnect from the physical. I think there are guides around (ancestors) during this, but are not readily understood as such. I'm under impression there's equivalent of 3 day sorting out process in which you 'hang around' the physical and/or reorient yourself to the non-physical before crossing over.

I understand soul as a thought, yet not in the superficial way we understand 'mere thought.' I think that is generically 'who I am' (or who we are). More accurate a Love Thought. A thought that can manifest/extend/create ideas, some of which may amount to what we here call substance(s), but are still in essence ideas (ideas are how we superficially understand 'mere thought' yet likely our understanding currently only scratches the surface of how it works).

I see 'crossing over' as full acceptance of Light that is all around and what spiritual sight sees (as self evident) of actual reality. I truly believe this is here now, and that Heaven is here now, but there are ideas (or blocks) in place (intentionally, by own self) preventing sight of that. This too shall pass.

I think once crossed over, the full / complete understanding of what this (physical) world is about, and how it will end is known. Such that there is great appreciation for all that are here, believing they are stuck in the physical (own body), yet able to attune to self evident spiritual ideas, and to help bring about end to that which perpetuates darkness. So, once crossed over, I think from our perspective here, that are seemingly stuck, it would seem like no one would ever want to come (or return) here, given our focus on the negative (i.e. suffering). Yet knowing that suffering is easily overcome by healing (of the spiritual kind), it isn't filtered in the way we on this side may choose to understand it. For us, we deliberate on ultimatums like, "well if you don't you'll die" which really just means a physical death, and is I imagine entirely humorous on the other side.

Therefore I think there is actually a waiting line of sorts to return here, and once again be born into this world and go through it all again, for the sheer joy of the experience and to contribute in what is understood on the other side as significant way toward ending darkness, but on this side may not even be noticed by other human eyes. While some of the sheer fun part definitely is noticeable. Not like the darkness has kept us (entirely) blind to who we are, what we can do, how free our Will truly is.

Is your belief a part of a certain tradition?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am not fond of any afterlife concept. I would rather concentrate on attaining the best possible quality of life among the living.

I'm actually surprised that is such a minority position.

Em. Some people use the belief in the afterlife to reflect how they should live here. I would have been the minority if I hadn't been confirmed. The Spirits wasn't a religious concept until I understood the nature behind them and what they do. But, unlike many god of abraham believers, I don't make difference between natural and supernatural. So maybe half of us are the minority, I don't know. Shrugs. Join the club?

George-ananda

Premium Member
Interesting. What occult sources?
Occult really just means 'hidden'; knowledge of the hidden. The information comes from sources that perceive things beyond the physical plane.
(To tell you honestly, all of my beliefs are six sense or personal experience.
I have gotten no knowledge from such things myself.
Extra question. How much does the Hindu theosophical and occult sources define your belief?)
Almost completely.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Em. Some people use the belief in the afterlife to reflect how they should live here. I would have been the minority if I hadn't been confirmed. The Spirits wasn't a religious concept until I understood the nature behind them and what they do. But, unlike many god of abraham believers, I don't make difference between natural and supernatural. So maybe half of us are the minority, I don't know. Shrugs. Join the club?

I will pass. I have a lot of rejection for the very idea, mostly because I am surrounded by people that abuse it and have been exposed to plenty of evidence of its dangers.

Besides, I don't feel any need for an afterlife anyway. I cherish my mortality.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Do you mean (rephrasing) you don't receive a lot of your beliefs from personal experience and six sense?
Yes, we seem to be kind of opposites on that point. I find the many masters and adepts in these fields are far beyond anything I could ever figure out on my own. For example, I could never have come up with Einstein's General Theory of Relativity myself. Thank God for the Einstein's in the various fields of human knowledge.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I will pass. I have a lot of rejection for the very idea, mostly because I am surrounded by people that abuse it and have been exposed to plenty of evidence of its dangers.

Besides, I don't feel any need for an afterlife anyway. I cherish my mortality.

You can cherish both. Just in Buddhistic thinking it's all in the mind. So, this may help. If you think of it as a "helping technique from the mind" rather than supernatural, than maybe its easier to understand personally (rather than observation).

If not how I was raised, I'd be so hard stone atheist that RF would be a whole 'nother language. Probably would have been if I hadn't moved here.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, we seem to be kind of opposites on that point. I find the many masters and adepts in these fields are far beyond anything I could ever figure out on my own. For example, I could never have come up with Einstein's General Theory of Relativity myself. Thank God for the Einstein's in the various fields of human knowledge.

I've always had a general idea at the very least that spirituality or however named comes from within. As, how was I told, "you can't take this stuff with you once you're dead." I mean, we can get inspirational ideas and guide maps to our faith, but to be dependent on it kind of unsettles my spirit. But I have more of a free spirited nature. I moved my altar in so many places in my apartment because I felt I was "confined" to one space. When reading tarots, people read from their manuals. Looking at the manual seems like I'm cheating.

If I can put all my experiences, poetry, observations, etc in one "bible" then that would be the only thing I would depend on. Outside of that, I don't know, even the concept of depending on a book(s) is limiting.

We kind of split on that end. But I never heard it from a non biblical perspective. Interesting.