1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your avatar.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saint Frankenstein, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,677
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    (It's the little picture by your username representing you on the forum.)

What does yours mean? Does it have a special meaning? What is it, if it isn't obvious?

Mine is a 1st century Roman statue of a young Hercules (Heracles). I've grown close to him lately. He is for courage and perseverance in adversity, strength, masculinity and the Divine potential of humanity as he was transformed into a deity and taken into the realm of the gods. He is inspirational to me for when I feel like giving up. He inspires me to keep striving for achievement in the trials of life, like he never gave up on his many trials.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,564
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Mine was picked without too much thought. Initially I figured I might be defending my views to some degree, and in general terms I have little interest in attacking others.
    Also, in general terms, I like the symbolism of a circle as it relates to a discussion forum.

I'm reluctant to change it now, for the same reason I'm not considering plastic surgery. Sure I could 'improve' on it, but it feels like me, which is more important than mere visual aethetics.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,624
    I chose a clown because they, much like my posts, bring joy and delight to all.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Robert "Bob" Parr, aka, Mr. Incredible. I don't normally have any interest in heroes nor animation, but there's something I like about Bob. Here he is at his job. Sort of out of place. In my mind it kind of represents us, pounding away at the keyboard. Staring at a computer monitor. It's actually animated, which you can see by going to my profile. I guess the file is too big for animation on the forum.

I like to change my avatar every once in a while. I've noticed some do, and some don't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Not unlike Pennywise. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Religion:
    No Religion. I Sense The Higher Power.
    Solitude, and snow and the preponderance of other people's thoughts. Seeking out great wisdom too!

All one can do is listen and look on.

• Like Like x 2
  7. suncowiam

suncowiam Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Mine means penis...

8. We Never Know

We Never Know Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Religion:
    It exists
    Mine is self explanatory, "Have you ever noticed people won't take the time to look up important information but will spend 15 minutes taking a quiz to find out what kind of potato they are"

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,037
    Mine is revealing of me. I am an American Veteran, a patriot, but want to do all I can to show my respect for God, and in my own opinion, the Hijab does that. It's mine. I do as I wish.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,732
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Just a blood sucking lamprey apparently.

I occasionally change it as the mood strikes usually in the intent to make fun of myself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Niblo

Niblo Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Islam
    Mine is the Japanese character ‘akebono’. On one level it means ‘dawn’, or ‘daybreak’. On a deeper level it means the start of a new adventure; or opportunity to achieve something great. It is in this context that Japanese companies (especially manufacturing companies) display the character when opening, say, a new factory, or when starting a major project. For me, each morning is an ‘akebono’ event….especially on a lovely Summer’s day! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium सच्चितानन्द

Ratings:
    +7,379
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    I've always had a fascination with birds of prey, and my favorite is the owl, as I feel a personal connection with them. The owl is a symbol of mystery and wisdom. Also, the owl is a vahana of the Lakshmi, as such, a symbol of wealth and prosperity.

I once had an owl land on my thermometer at kitchen window. We stared at each other for several minutes and it remained for quite some time just watching me.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Niblo

Niblo Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Islam
    My wife also has a thing for owls; hence her nickname: 'Wolly'

The barn owl is my favourite. In Celtic mythology (I'm a Celt) it is a harbinger of death....but that's not why I favour it :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jumi

Jumi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,457
    Religion:
    Secular theist (none)
    I found mine somewhere, it's a photo in either Swedish or Finnish Lapland. The photo just reminds me of the feel there. The path thru the middle is the focus point. I feel the picture represents human life quite well besides liking the feel of the surroundings. It's where I'd want to be most the time if there was a choice.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,374
    Religion:
    None
    Mine is very meaningful to me, to cut a long story short.

I was helping out as a grunt on an archaeological dig (a hobby of mine). Clearing away spoil in a cave i unearthed a smooth area. Unsure if it was just a rock or something more interesting i called over the supervisor. He painstakingly unearthed one of the best preserved cro-magnon skulls ever found.

Today you can see it on display at the Nation Museum of Prehistory at Les Eyzies.

It's dated to 22,000 years old so besides the cachet of discovering it, it is handy when in "discussion" with YECs.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,677
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    Me on the water pill.

• Like Like x 2
  17. sayak83

sayak83 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,014
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    Mine is Goddess Durga, the most celebrated form of the Devi in Eastern India where I am from. She is worshipped in her ten-handed warrior goddess form riding her lion and slaying a shape-changing minotaur type demon.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +1,477
    My avatar is appropriate for me on multiple levels, plus, I like it. ;)

It is a Tlinkit (pronounced just the way it looks) image of The Raven, who, in their mythology is a God and a trickster much like Loki from Norse mythos. But not a bad God, rather one who uses shape changing, deceit, and his brains to do good for humanity and the entire world.
    I am from Alaska and the Pacific Northwest so the art style is something I’ve seen many times. The character of the raven goes with my ID name of Daemon Sophic, which many people here seem to misunderstand. :rolleyes: It actually means one of many things ranging from “cunning demon”, “playful spirit” or even “the spirit of wisdom”.
    This goes along with The Raven image for his many qualities. In the avatar image, as is common with depictions of the Raven, he is holding a shining red ball in his mouth. That ball is the sun, and in fact all light in the universe, which The Raven stole from an old man and gave to the world.
    Short fable of Raven Stealing the Sun.
    [​IMG]

#18 Daemon Sophic, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  19. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,111
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    I think I know at least one of your shortcomings.

:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. WalterTrull

WalterTrull Godfella

Ratings:
    +898
    Inordinate intellectual prowess

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1