• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your answer please.

S-word

Where in the body is the mind located?
Is the Black Hole theory the same as the cyclical universe theory?
What was the original Greek word that has been translated into English as "The Word"?
Does the Bible state that the Logos and God are one?
Can the term "DAY" be used in cases when speaking of an indefinite time period?

linwood

You`re really going to have to qualify those questions a bit further s-word.

I know what you`re getting at because I`ve been following the thread they originated in but others may not have seen it.

Depends on how you define "mind".

You define "mind" as similar to the concept of "soul" so the discovery that neuropeptides are found throughout our body is parallel to the entire body encompassing a "soul" for you.
Many people define "mind" as the center where our thoughts and emotions are processed..
These people would see the "brain" as parallel to the concept of "mind".

I`m a bit confused, do you mean "The Big Bang Theory" when you say "Black Hole Theory"?

If so..

The "Cyclical Universe Theory" is an extension of the "Black Hole Theory".

If not, I don`t think so.

What was the original Greek word that has been translated into English as "The Word"?

If you are a Christian apologist "logos" is the equivalent of "The Word"
If you are an ancient Greek philospher the meaning is "rational thought" or "rational discussion of thought" or "rational understanding"

I usually consider it the second but when speaking with Christian apologists I am able to shift gears and have an understanding of their meaning.

The gospels do I think.

It can if your speaking in Hebrew, I think.
The context usually defines the period of time to an extent.

Last edited:

S-word

Quote...linwood...I`m a bit confused, do you mean "The Big Bang Theory" when you say "Black Hole Theory"?
If so..The "Cyclical Universe Theory" is an extension of the "Black Hole Theory".

Yes, I did mean the Big Bang theory. I said black hole theory in response to Imagist’s question,
(Quote...Imagist...The black hole theory is basically the cyclical universe theory.) To which my answer was, no! The cyclical universe theory as you suggest, is an extension of the Big bang theory. But so are many other universe theories, the “Heat-death” universe theory begins with the Big Bang, the “cold-death” universe theory begins with a big bang also. To say that each of the many theories that begin with the Big Bang are basically the same as the Big Bang theory, is to say all theories that begin with the Big Bang are basically the same, when nothing could be more further from the truth.

Quote...linwood...If you are a Christian apologist "logos" is the equivalent of "The Word"
If you are an ancient Greek philospher the meaning is "rational thought" or "rational discussion of thought" or "rational understanding"

In Stoic philosophy, which began around 300 BCE with Zeno of Citium, the Logos was seen as the active reason pervading the entire universe and animating it. They also referred to the “Logos Spermatikos,” or the law of generation in the universal body, and that this was the principle of the active reason working in inanimate matter. Also, they believed that each and every human, who are created from the universal elements, possess a share of the divine Logos which pervades the entire universal body.

Also, the Greek speaking Jew ‘Philo,’ who lived between 20 BC and 50 AD, defined the word ‘logos’ as the universal creative principle. Philo, taught that the Logos was the image of God, (The mind that pervades all that exists) after which, the human Mind which pervades the entire human body, was made.

Quote...linwood...Many people define "mind" as the center where are thoughts and emotions are processed. These people would see the "brain" as parallel to the concept of "mind".

Then they would be wrong, for according to Dr. Cadence Pert, chief of brain biochemistry at the National Institute of Mental health in the US, rather than thinking in the traditional terms of a mind and a body. It makes more and more sense to think in terms of a single integrated entity, a body-mind.
For while the Brain remains the primary analyser, Our mind is not located there, (I’ll just repeat that) Our mind is not located in the Brain and is more like an information field spread across the entire body.

I wait for the day (not a specific 24 hour day, but a Time Period) when all will understand that God is the First and the Last, the Beginning and End, the Alpha and Omega, and the Father and Son, and will mentally visualise the Omega as the Supreme Personality of Godhead in this universal body, who is able to descend into his inner being and draw upon his living mind which is we, who dwell in He, who is one of the many Sons of God, or the many universal bodies that dwell within the Living cosmos. And He, our universal Godhead, encompasses not only all space within this universal body, but also all time.
Thank you for your stimulating questions, and until we speak again, be happy.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
A misleading question: the "locality" of "mind" is "here, now" in the universe.

No clue.

Yes. "Day" could be an expression of metaphor or used figuratively, as in, "Back in his day...", which expresses an indefinate time period.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

1) The 'mind', defined as the resulting state of the electro-chemical signals between the 100 billion neurons within your brain, is located, of course, within your brain.

2) Seeing that you meant 'big bang' and not 'black hole', the answer is still 'no'. The big bang theory is a distinct theory about the origin of our universe. It has nothing to say about what happened 'before' the big bang, nor what will eventually become of our universe.

3) I don't know greek, however a quick search turned up "log/logue = word thought" on the following site: Greek and Latin Root Words

4) A quick search of the bible text turned up no results for the word "logos".

5) Certainly. A phrase such as "the present day", doesn't necessarily mean the current day, but an unspecified period of time defined as the 'present'.

S-word

1) The 'mind', defined as the resulting state of the electro-chemical signals between the 100 billion neurons within your brain, is located, of course, within your brain.

2) Seeing that you meant 'big bang' and not 'black hole', the answer is still 'no'. The big bang theory is a distinct theory about the origin of our universe. It has nothing to say about what happened 'before' the big bang, nor what will eventually become of our universe.

3) I don't know greek, however a quick search turned up "log/logue = word thought" on the following site: Greek and Latin Root Words

4) A quick search of the bible text turned up no results for the word "logos".

5) Certainly. A phrase such as "the present day", doesn't necessarily mean the current day, but an unspecified period of time defined as the 'present'.

The fact that you know that I meant Big Bang and not black hole theory, and that you agree with me that the cyclical universe theory, the 'Heat -Death' theory, nor the cold death theory, can be clasified as the same as the Big Bang theory, shows that you have at least glanced at my post in response to a previous post.

But just in case you didn't read it fully, I will repeat here some of what was said in that post.

I Googled this up. "There has been extensive research on the presence of mind in our bodies, that suggests that the neuropeptides, chemical substances that form the communication network of our emotions, are present not just in the brain, but everywhere in the body. As Dr. Cadence Pert, chief of brain biochemistry at the National Institute of Mental Health in the US writes, “These findings go beyond the often mentioned concept of power of mind over body. Indeed, the more we know about neuropeptides, the harder it is to think in the traditional terms of a mind and a body. It makes more and more sense of a single integrated entity, a body-mind.
So, while the brain remains the primary analyser, our mind is not located there and is more like an information field spread across the body."

In Stoic philosophy, which began around 300 BCE with Zeno of Citium, the Logos was seen as the active reason pervading the entire universe and animating it. They also referred to the “Logos Spermatikos,” or the law of generation in the universal body, and that this was the principle of the active reason working in inanimate matter. Also, they believed that each and every human, who are created from the universal elements, possess a share of the divine Logos which pervades the entire universal body.

Also, the Greek speaking Jew ‘Philo,’ who lived between 20 BC and 50 AD, defined the word ‘logos’ as the universal creative principle. Philo, taught that the Logos was the image of God, (The mind that pervades all that exists) after which, the human Mind which pervades the entire human body, was made.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

1. Where in the body is the mind located?
2. Is the Black Hole theory the same as the cyclical universe theory?
3. What was the original Greek word that has been translated into English as "The Word"?
4. Does the Bible state that the Logos and God are one?
5. Can the term "DAY" be used in cases when speaking of an indefinite time period?

Here are a few answers for you:

1. Generally, in the cranium.

2. No: the latter requires sufficient total mass in the universe to happen; black holes don't.

3. Excellent question; I'm glad you asked that! If there are no further questions, class is dismissed.

4. No idea.

5. "Day" has multiple meanings. In terms of propecy, for example, it generally in fact refers to a year.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Last edited:

S-word

Greetings! :)
Here are a few answers for you:

1. Generally, in the cranium.

2. No: the latter required sufficient total mass in the universe to happen; black holes don't.

3. Excellent question; I'm glad you asked that! If there are no further questions, class is dismissed.

4. No idea.

5. "Day" has multiple meanings. In terms of propecy, for example, it generally in fact refers to a year.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Question 1: wrong.-- The correct answer is that the mind pervades the entire body

Question 2: correct.

Question 3 and 4, unanswered due to apparent ignorance to Biblical scripture. Suggestion: purchase a good translation of the Bible.

Question 5: Your answer, “Day” has multiple meanings is correct.” “Day” can mean an indefinite time period, or a definite time such as a period of 24hrs, one year, a thousand years, or a period of universal activity, to name but a few.

From the Book of Jubilees 4: 29,”And at the close of the nineteenth Jubilee, in the seventh week in the sixth year thereof, Adam died. ____ And he lacked 70 years of one thousand years; for one thousand years are as one day in the testimony of the heavens and therefore was it written concerning the tree of knowledge: On the day that you eat thereof ye shall die.’ For this reason he did not complete the years of this day; for he died in it.

Also, the seventh period of one thousand years from the first day in which Adam died, is the Sabbath Day, the Day of the Lord in which his chosen ones will take the thrones that have been prepared for them and rule for one thousand years, before fire comes down from heaven and incinerates the surface of this planet.

Day, Great, of Brahma: -- A symbol of a manvantara or cycle of manifestation --- “The Great Day” is preceded, and followed by pralaya, a period of inactivity.

And now the class is dimissed. Enjoy your day in the sun, your period of life on this earth, and be happy.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I Googled this up. "There has been extensive research on the presence of mind in our bodies, that suggests that the neuropeptides, chemical substances that form the communication network of our emotions, are present not just in the brain, but everywhere in the body. As Dr. Cadence Pert, chief of brain biochemistry at the National Institute of Mental Health in the US writes, “These findings go beyond the often mentioned concept of power of mind over body. Indeed, the more we know about neuropeptides, the harder it is to think in the traditional terms of a mind and a body. It makes more and more sense of a single integrated entity, a body-mind.
So, while the brain remains the primary analyser, our mind is not located there and is more like an information field spread across the body."

The presence of those chemicals throughout the body does not necessarily result in the conclusion that thought takes place throughout the body. By our current understanding, neurons are required for thought. Unless it is tested and observed that thought occurs elsewhere in the body, it is speculation that it does.

.lava

Veteran Member

mind=heart

black holes, we know them as gates to other dimensions. places we go during sleep, in dreams..

S-word

mind=heart
black holes, we know them as gates to other dimensions. places we go during sleep, in dreams..

The heart is the seat of the mind, or another way of putting it is, that it is in the blood that the universal life principle which is inherent in all things can be found, and it is into the eternal life -force, that is gathered all the information taken in through the senses of our physical bodies which are the gathered elements of the universal body, in the eternal evolution of the mind that is God which is manifested in the physical universe.

Or could black holes simply be worm holes in space-time, in which Galaxies are pulled apart and the photons are accelerated to speeds far beyond that of the speed of light, and spewed out as liquid like electromagnetic enegy in the trillions of degrees somewhere way beyond the visible horizon of this boundless cosmos, to where the light from the original position of that galaxy before it entered into the Great Abyss, will take billions of years to reach?

Last edited:

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
It does seem to me that there are a lot of "word games" being played-out in the forums over the last few days, as if words have more importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words. I reiterate a point I've made in other threads, that I believe that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings is counter-productive to illumination.

S-word

It does seem to me that there are a lot of "word games" being played-out in the forums over the last few days, as if words have more importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words. I reiterate a point I've made in other threads, that I believe that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings is counter-productive to illumination.

Give one example of these unimportant "Word Games" which you believe do nothing to illuminate the point of the debate in which they are played out?

S-word

What is the intention of your question? :confused:

You have made the statement that there are a lot of "word games" being played-out in the forums over the last few days, as if words have more importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words. I reiterate a point I've made in other threads, that I believe that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings is counter-productive to illumination.

I would like you to give an example of these word games, in order to debate whether or not you are correct in your assumptions that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings, is counter productive to illumination

idea

Question Everything
Close your eyes, and grab one of your ears, where is your ear in respect to you? It is on the side right?
Now touch your nose, that is in front of you right?
Now touch your chin. It is below you.
Your little "I am" is right there in the center.

I do not know.

Here is a ref for you:
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon
just type in whatever word, the concordance (box with little c) gets you to the original word w/ definition, all the ways it has been translated etc. etc.
word:
Blue Letter Bible - Jhn 1 (KJV)

how do you define one?
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
(New Testament | John17:11)

The way in which we are to become one with each other is the way that They are one with one another.

21determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi1:21)

18 And the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them.
(Pearl of Great Price | Moses7:18)

that is what one means.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
You have made the statement that there are a lot of "word games" being played-out in the forums over the last few days, as if words have more importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words.
Actually, my implication is precisely the opposite, i.e., that words have far less importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words. Indeed, by "word games" I mean the seemingly deliberate or negligent misinterpretation of words, so as to have something easier to argue against.

I reiterate a point I've made in other threads, that I believe that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings is counter-productive to illumination.
I could not agree more. :clap Oh wait... you meant that as a quote of what I wrote earlier. You should fix your attribution.

I would like you to give an example of these word games, in order to debate whether or not you are correct in your assumptions that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings, is counter productive to illumination
I'm sorry, but I'm confused about what you are saying, so please clarify: Are you asserting that you feel that "word games", as defined above, are constructive contributors to illumination of issues being discussed?

S-word

Actually, my implication is precisely the opposite, i.e., that words have far less importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words. Indeed, by "word games" I mean the seemingly deliberate or negligent misinterpretation of words, so as to have something easier to argue against.
I could not agree more. :clap Oh wait... you meant that as a quote of what I wrote earlier. You should fix your attribution.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused about what you are saying, so please clarify: Are you asserting that you feel that "word games", as defined above, are constructive contributors to illumination of issues being discussed?

These are your words from post 13, [Quote... bicker,1482607]
In my post ‘number 14,’ I quoted your post verbatim and asked the question, “Give one example of these unimportant "Word Games" which you believe do nothing to illuminate the point of the debate in which they are played out”?

Your response in post 15, “What is the intention of your question”?

Here is my response to that post, which is simply a repeat of your words from post 13.
“You have made the statement that there are a lot of "word games" being played-out in the forums over the last few days, as if words have more importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words. I reiterate a point I've made in other threads, that I believe that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings is counter-productive to illumination.”

I would like you to give an example of these word games, in order to debate whether or not you are correct in your assumptions that fixating on the words used instead of their meanings, is counter productive to illumination.

But now, in post 18, you have said,Quote...bicker...Actually, my implication is precisely the opposite, i.e., that words have far less importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words. Indeed, by "word games" I mean the seemingly deliberate or negligent misinterpretation of words, so as to have something easier to argue against.

In post’s 13 and 18, you have said exactly the same thing, except that you have worded them differently, in 13, you say, “as if words have more importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words.” Then in 18, you say “that words have far less importance than the meanings intended by the use of those words; same statement, different wording.” And yet in 18, you say, in response to your own words as quoted by myself, Quote...bicker... “Actually, my implication is precisely the opposite, (What! Opposite to your own words?) Is this what you mean by playing “Word Games?” Is this your example of "Word Games" that I asked for?

Last edited:

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
I would like to point out that this S-word's questions are a complete mischaracterization of my previous post. I would like to request that S-word please stop misrepresenting my statements.

This question is irrelevant to my point. My point was not that the mind is in the brain, but that the mind is nothing more than the physical and chemical reactions which make up thoughts. This was in response to S-word's claim that the cosmos had a universal mind which had created these smaller minds in humans.

S-word claimed that a book supported his claims, and that the book was about black hole theory. The evidence he cited was a book review which said that the book was about cyclical universe theory.

The word, as I agreed with S-word, was "logos". While I think it is ridiculous of S-word to have "untranslated" that word in the verse, my issue with S-word's post was not that he changed "the word" back to "logos". My issue was that he had inserted other phrases into the verse which simply weren't there. Adding phrases to a verse to make it fit one's point is blatantly lying to my face, and that's why I left the thread angrily.

Can the term "zebra" be used to refer to arbitrary animals? Can "kilometer" be used to refer to indefinite distances? Can "Dick Cheney" be used to refer to any person?

The answer should be obvious: yes, but not if you want to actually use language to communicate.

Last edited: