• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youngest galaxy ever found

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Remember that this pic is of that galaxy from a long time ago.
In the present day, that galaxy is geriatric, & often yells at younger galaxies to get off its lawn.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
In the present day, that galaxy is geriatric, & often yells at younger galaxies to get off its lawn.
That thought blows my mind every time. This applies to stars and other planets as well.

jonathan180iq

That thought blows my mind every time. This applies to stars and other planets as well.

Even the sunlight that you see when you walk outside is 8 minutes old...

If you were standing on Pluto, looking at the sun, you're looking back in time almost 6 hours.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I know!
Fascinate'n, ain't it!
Even the sunlight that you see when you walk outside is 8 minutes old...

If you were standing on Pluto, looking at the sun, you're looking back in time almost 6 hours.

It becomes even more fascinating when you realize that's true of everything. Even if it's an inch away, the light has to travel to you. Which means you only ever see an object in the past. And it's furthered by the fact your brain has to compensate for the speed of sound. Otherwise when people are talking to you, their words & their mouth movement would be slightly(but noticeably) out of synch.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It becomes even more fascinating when you realize that's true of everything. Even if it's an inch away, the light has to travel to you. Which means you only ever see an object in the past. And it's furthered by the fact your brain has to compensate for the speed of sound. Otherwise when people are talking to you, their words & their mouth movement would be slightly(but noticeably) out of synch.

So you're saying it's possible that my dad actually has some progressive political ideas, and it's just that I'm still hearing his echoes from the 1950's?
Wow. The dude might actually be a paragon of equality, and I still think of him as racist.

IN terms of the OP, I find if I think too much about this stuff my brain literally explodes. Metaphorically speaking. It's amazing.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
So you're saying it's possible that my dad actually has some progressive political ideas, and it's just that I'm still hearing his echoes from the 1950's?
Wow. The dude might actually be a paragon of equality, and I still think of him as racist.
...if that helps you feel better, dear.

Kerr

Galaxy breaks record for farthest ever seen - Technology & Science - CBC News

Isn't it amazing how much time can be crammed into about 6,000 years?
Awesome! Thanks for the link. But technically that galaxy is ancient by now :p.

I wouldn't be so sure. Many galaxies are have a very particular diet consiting of other, smaller galaxies. They're cannibals. Even our own might be taking a bite of another as we speak.

Skwim

Veteran Member
But didn't god create the universe with the light from the various sources already well along their way? That is, 6,000 years ago when god created the universe, the light from galaxy EGS-zs8-1 was only 6,000 years away from earth. As was the light from all the other sources.

Wirey

Fartist
But didn't god create the universe with the light from the various sources already well along their way? That is, 6,000 years ago when god created the universe, the light from galaxy EGS-zs8-1 was only 6,000 years away from earth. As was the light from all the other sources.

I stand corrected. When shall I report to the stake with kindling?